Newbie question - Cruise Next

GettotheSun

So on my edocs, it has this ad for Cruise Next, and mentions onboard credits.  I've seen threads about selling these vouchers, but that is not my question at all.

Just wanted to be sure I understood this...so if you put down $500 for a next cruise, you get $250 onboard credit...but yet you still get $500 voucher for the cruise?  It says you can decide later when/where you want to sail...but then goes on to say later that if you commit to a cruise onboard when buying the voucher you get an additional perq but it doesn't say what that is?

Also, when it says secure your Haven cabin for $500, so they mean just putting down $500?  That's a lot less than the deposit I had to pay to secure my Haven cabin...I must be missing something?

Below is a copy/paste from the edocs:

----

Place a deposit for a future cruise and receive an onboard credit to spend any way you like on this cruise. You can decide later when and where you want to sail. Deposit price charged in local currency where applicable.

FREE $500 Onboard Credit    (4 Deposits) $1,000
FREE $375 Onboard Credit    (3 Deposits) $750
FREE $250 Onboard Credit    (2 Deposits) $500
FREE $100 Onboard Credit    (1 Deposit) $250
Secure your suite in The Haven™ with a $500 CruiseNext Haven Deposit.

Edited by GettotheSun

Think of the CNC as buying the at half-price. You buy two for $250 out of pocket ($500 charged to your account and then a credit for $250). The face value of each is $250 ($500 total) and that can be used as a deposit/payment on your next cruise. 

I think if you book onboard, you get a very slight upgrade in the room category (like BB to BA)? 

I’m not sure how the Haven certificates work. 

Indeed, on one of our cruises we were offered 8 CNCs for $2,000 and received $1,000 OBC.  We've not paid a deposit, out of pocket, for a couple of years.  But you need to be committed to sail on NCL to make it worth your while.

What confuses a lot of people is the mention of the discount as being OBC.  What really happens is that you're billed the full price to your onboard account, then a rebate of $250 is issued in the form of onboard credit.  The net is $250 spent on cruise next and no real credit towards any other spending.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hallux said:

What confuses a lot of people is the mention of the discount as being OBC.  What really happens is that you're billed the full price to your onboard account, then a rebate of $250 is issued in the form of onboard credit.  The net is $250 spent on cruise next and no real credit towards any other spending.

Say the only purchase we made was $500 future cruise cert. We would be given $250 OBC. Would this OBC offset the $500 purchase and make our onboard bill be only $250?

• Like 1

The perk for booking onboard is usually in in-meta upgrade. What that means is you might pay a BD price for a BA room. It can usually save you about $50 per person if you prefer the higher categories. For instance, we always book a BA, because we want an angled balcony. My parents, on the other hand, always book a BF, because they really couldn't care less about their balcony location. They just want a balcony and perks (thus not booking a BX). So, for my parents, it's not a great deal to book on board, but for us it is.

As for buying CruiseNext deposits, that is ALWAYS a great deal if you think you'll be sailing with NCL again within the next four years. It's free money! Over the last two years, we have used CruiseNext deposits on every sailing we've been on, besides our first, plus gifted two deposits to my parents to get them to go on their first cruise. Since we always book a balcony, we always get to "DoubleUp" and use two deposits per cruise, which means we have saved $250 per cruise on our last 6 cruises, plus the two cruises we currently have booked, plus saved the $250 for my parents. That's a total of $2250 saved so far by always purchasing and using CruiseNext!

My certs have an expiry date of 4/23/2021.

Does all travel have to be completed by that date to use them or can I use them to book a cruise that  starts before that date but finishes after ?

Thanks, I've had some conflicting answers - even from NCL calls.

4 hours ago, pspercy said:

Does all travel have to be completed by that date to use them or can I use them to book a cruise that  starts before that date but finishes after ?

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms

#7 on that page -

All CNDs (including Haven and Lite options) are valid for new reservations that book and sail within 4 years from purchase date. CNDs become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of your CND(s). Not applicable towards existing reservations.

Emphasis mine..

Edited by hallux

14 hours ago, hallux said:

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms

#7 on that page -

All CNDs (including Haven and Lite options) are valid for new reservations that book and sail within 4 years from purchase date. CNDs become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of your CND(s). Not applicable towards existing reservations.

Emphasis mine..

Yes, I read that but wanted to be absolutely sure.

14 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I think as long as your cruise leaves before the expiry date, you are safe. You could also call NCL and ask for an extension on your certs.  I have heard of people having success with that.

I called them earlier, yes she told me that too.

I tried to book it just now but it wouldn't let me apply the certs as down payment (Cruise April 15 - 29, 2021 - certs expire 4/23) so it's on hold and I guess I'll call 'em again tomorrow.

Thanks