Edge embarkation lunch options

ConnMom

Can someone please tell me what options are available for lunch on embarkation day on the Edge, what kinds of food they offer,  and at what cost?  I would like to avoid the crowds at the buffet if possible. Thank you for any suggestions.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Found this in the FAQ

And speaking of both food and embarkation day, there’s a good chance you’ll soon be hungry after boarding the ship. Have no fear; you don’t need to wait until dinner that evening to eat. As soon as you board the ship you’ll be able to head to the Lido deck for some al fresco comfort food bites by the pool, or up to the buffet for a variety of options. Suite guests on our ships can dine in Luminae for lunch on embarkation day as well.

Thank you for the suggestions. I am disappointed that we cannot expect the Eden Cafe to be open - it would be an excellent choice.   We always enjoyed the crepe restaurants on deck 5 on embarkation day before they became sushi restaurants.  Being able to drop our carry-ons in our room upon boarding will make it easier to search out someplace for a light lunch, perhaps the spa cafe.  We embark in 12 days; I cannot wait to check out the Edge after reading all the hype.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ConnMom said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I am disappointed that we cannot expect the Eden Cafe to be open - it would be an excellent choice.   We always enjoyed the crepe restaurants on deck 5 on embarkation day before they became sushi restaurants.  Being able to drop our carry-ons in our room upon boarding will make it easier to search out someplace for a light lunch, perhaps the spa cafe.  We embark in 12 days; I cannot wait to check out the Edge after reading all the hype.

My husband and I will be on the same sailing! If you check in the app it shows that Le Grand Bistro will be open for lunch on day one. The menu looks amazing! I believe it is a $20pp charge.

Happy Cruising!

Edited by CruiserMickey

18 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Eden was not open on embarkation day on Jan.12th.

You are correct.   I must have mixed with another day.    I just checked and found the only places open on our cruise in Oct/Nov for Lunch on first day were -

Ocean View  Cafe    11:30 - 2:30

Spa Cafe                    11:30 - 1:30

Mast Grill                   11:30 - 6:00

Le Grand Bistro         11:30 - 1:30

Luminae (Suite Only)  

Cosmopolitan (Concierge Only)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Le Grand Bistro sounds great. Thanks for the tip. I will have to take a look at the ap.  I haven't checked it out since we installed it a month or so ago, and nothing showed up at that time.  The cruise is getting close, just 11 days - can't wait.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 10:44 PM, ConnMom said:

I would like to avoid the crowds at the buffet if possible

I was just telling my husband the same thing - I HATE going to the buffet for lunch on the first day. It's always a madhouse & nobody knows where there going or what they're doing. On a side note - I wish the app let you sort your dining options by breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks. Is there a way to do this and I'm missing it?

11 minutes ago, dopey1200 said:

I was just telling my husband the same thing - I HATE going to the buffet for lunch on the first day. It's always a madhouse & nobody knows where there going or what they're doing. On a side note - I wish the app let you sort your dining options by breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks. Is there a way to do this and I'm missing it?

Yes, I believe once aboard the App will sort it out for you, if not, then the daily most definitely will...

bon appetit and bon voyage

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, dopey1200 said:

We usually embark early, and weirdly I love going to the buffet for this first lunch. This trip we have got a great deal on a suite and so can eat lunch in Luminae. I don’t want to spend a lot of time just eating but getting to know the ship on our port intensive cruise. So I guess my query is - are we able to be served quickly in Luminae for this first lunch?

Well this is not very good planning on Celebrity's part. You basically have 3 free options for lunch that day and I can't really even count the Spa Cafe as an option because they only have 2 things besides salads - a veggie wrap and a club sandwich. That leaves Mast Grill, again with a very limited selection, or the buffet. Groan 😣 - guess we'll be eating at the buffet with everybody else!

On 1/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, Jim_Iain said:

You are correct.   I must have mixed with another day.    I just checked and found the only places open on our cruise in Oct/Nov for Lunch on first day were -

Ocean View  Cafe    11:30 - 2:30

Spa Cafe                    11:30 - 1:30

Mast Grill                   11:30 - 6:00

Le Grand Bistro         11:30 - 1:30

Luminae (Suite Only)  

Cosmopolitan (Concierge Only)

Welp, we will see you at the Ocean View then!   LOL.    It's ok, I'll be on a SHIP!!!!!

Celebrity buffets are excellent. It’s hardly a chore to eat there and even though we can eat in Luminae this cruise we won’t likely be having first lunch there. I’m not sure what people actually expect of a cruise line but reckon they aren’t going to enjoy it if eating in the buffet is such a bad thing to have to do. Especially embarkation day with a cruise to look forward to. 

6 hours ago, Pushka said:

Celebrity buffets are excellent. It’s hardly a chore to eat there and even though we can eat in Luminae this cruise we won’t likely be having first lunch there. I’m not sure what people actually expect of a cruise line but reckon they aren’t going to enjoy it if eating in the buffet is such a bad thing to have to do. Especially embarkation day with a cruise to look forward to. 

I am curious as to why you would choose not to eat in Luminae on embarkation day if you are eligible?  I have always enjoyed lunch in Luminae on the first day.

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am curious as to why you would choose not to eat in Luminae on embarkation day if you are eligible?  I have always enjoyed lunch in Luminae on the first day.

I guess on this port intensive cruise we want to explore the ship and get to know it. How long does the lunch normally take? I get a bit restless during the day if I have to wait for the meal to be served. That’s more the issue. Once I’ve had a quick bite and drink then I’m on my way. Is that possible do you think?

Edited by Pushka

4 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I guess on this port intensive cruise we want to explore the ship and get to know it. How long does the lunch normally take? I get a bit restless during the day if I have to wait for the meal to be served. That’s more the issue. Once I’ve had a quick bite and drink then I’m on my way. Is that possible do you think?

I have never really looked at how long it takes but I do remember it not being a long time to get seated and to be served.   The limited menu selections helps with that.  Besides, as you say, this is a port intensive cruise and the buffet is the place to be when the ship is in port for lunch. 

Also drinks and light snacks are available at the bar. 

However, first and foremost this is a vacation, you are on a cruise ship so feel free to do what please you. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/21/2020 at 11:47 PM, CruiserMickey said:

My husband and I will be on the same sailing! If you check in the app it shows that Le Grand Bistro will be open for lunch on day one. The menu looks amazing! I believe it is a $20pp charge.

Happy Cruising!

This is what we did for our embarkation lunch 2 weeks ago.   Our best meal all week!!   The Bistro was fairly quiet and the food was outstanding.  And all for a reasonable specialty restaurant charge.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CruiseRQA said:

This is what we did for our embarkation lunch 2 weeks ago.   Our best meal all week!!   The Bistro was fairly quiet and the food was outstanding.  And all for a reasonable specialty restaurant charge.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I think this will be a great option for us on embarkation day as well as during our “extend your stay” after our cruise is over.