St.Croix and St.Vincent

Hawkstar33

There are no real recent reviews of St Croix, that I have seen.  I may not be looking in the right places.   Both Islands are on our upcoming Silhouette itinerary.  Been to many islands but not these 2.  Anyone been to either of these lately???   Ty in advance   I looked on ports, and some roll calls, but not enough current.   Looking for ideas on what to do, etc...  

We did both those ports over Christmas.  St. Croix would be good for a beach day or snorkeling.  St. Vincent is a short stop, but there is nothing really right at the port.  We met people who said the excursion rum excursion wasn't good.  I believe its a new port for Celebrity and not much is offered.

St. Croix we just wander around the port area for awhile then walk along the beach to one of the beach bars and have a couple of drinks.

In 2010 when in St. Vincent we hired a taxi and told the driver we wanted to go to Wallilabou Bay/Port Royal. Where some of the Pirates of the Caribbean, Curse of the Black Pearl was filmed. We also told him we wanted a lot of scenic stops for kodak moments. 

St. Vincent.....Celebrity offers a catamaran excursion to Bequia.  It's another island in the Grenadines.  If you're into hiking but not strenuous, there is the Vermont Nature Trail hike that takes you to some of the islands interior.  They also do a catamaran and land excursion to where the Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed but cannot remember the name of the excursion.

St. Vincent is a beautiful volcanic island worth exploring, but you need to do your research in advance.  It's not an island to just get off the ship and walk around the port type thing.  

St. Croix......Not our favorite port.  We just go to Rainbow Beach which is to the left of the cruise port when exiting on the main street.  We always walk.  20 minutes maybe.  There is also Sandcastle beach to the right of the port, but we have never been.  

• Haha 1

We much enjoyed our "Best of St. Vincent" ship tour in Dec. As said above, St. Vincent is a beautiful volcanic island. This tour included the Botanical Gardens, the fort, a beach stop and an overlook of the interior of the island. Very good guide. I don't suggest you do the Botanical Gardens on your own, as you really need a guide to show you around. Ours passed around various leaves, berries, etc. to let us know what the plants were. 

• Haha 1

St Croix is a beautiful island with two interesting historic towns, Frederiksted where you dock and CHRISTIANSTED on the other side of the island.  There is a fine old fort in CHRISTIANSTED (not sure why this keeps capitalizing Csted?}. and many cafes along the waterfront for a meal or a drink.  If you are in port long enough, and if you like to snorkel, there is a fabulous national park at buck island, with massive corals and lots of fish.  That is the first place I ever tried snorkeling.  I think there is a nice beach within walking distance of the dock if you prefer an easy day.  Most taxi drivers will give you an island tour if you want to explore on your own.  Have fun.

Beaches and snorkeling aren't priorities for me, so last week I took a shared van ($16 RT) to Christiansted and explored on foot. The van parks near the Danish historical sites, which are run by the National Park Service. I'm told that Christiansted, which is larger than Frederiksted, has better shopping but I didn't check it out. Ships dock at Frederiksted because the harbor is deeper. There is a St. Croix subforum in the Ports of Call/Caribbean forum.