Majesty skipping Nassau due to high winds tomorrow

thrifty99

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you have visited a foreign port prior to reaching KW then KW is a port of entry that requires processing by CBP.  If KW is the first port of call after embarking in the US then normally CBP processing isn't required.  

You visited CocoCay correct?  If so you've been to a foreign country and are returning to the US so CBP requires all guest be processed.

Or did I misread the thread?   

But they may skip customs in NOLA now

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you have visited a foreign port prior to reaching KW then KW is a port of entry that requires processing by CBP.  If KW is the first port of call after embarking in the US then normally CBP processing isn't required.  

You visited CocoCay correct?  If so you've been to a foreign country and are returning to the US so CBP requires all guest be processed.

Or did I misread the thread?   

Thanks - I knew there was some rules about re-entering a US port. You are correct. We went to Key West then Coco Cay and now back to Key West. 

We just got another update. Arrival to Key West delayed an hour as captain said he did not make as good of time as he had planned. So now we all go through customs from 12:30 to 2:00 depending on your muster station. I think we are  at 1:30 so we will be stuck on the ship for a while. 

When I started cruising in 1984, Nassau was an exotic foreign port. 

The straw market was outdoors and fun. Lots of joking back and forth with the vendors and fun haggling over prices. 

Nassau’s buildings were colorful and the police wore snappy uniforms with pith helmets. 

The John Bull store was very British, with wonderful deals on cameras and watches. 

The shops on Bay St were full of bargains, and I was able to buy Waterford and Lladro at great prices. 

The Nassau Store was all dark wood, with a second story gallery. Lots of British and European goods to be bought there. 

Walking to the Queen’s Staircase and the Water Tower was lovely, past the Princess Margaret Hospital. We would walk back down Parliament St and visit the Land leather shop with its beautiful beautiful purses, belts and billfolds. 

Next to that was the Scottish Shop, with gorgeous woolens. 

Nowhere in our wanderings did anyone approach us to sell drugs or braid our hair. 

Nassau was, like I said, an exotic foreign port, and the high point of three and four day cruises. 

It’s very sad they’ve not been able to maintain what we enjoyed so much back then. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

When I started cruising in 1984, Nassau was an exotic foreign port. 

The straw market was outdoors and fun. Lots of joking back and forth with the vendors and fun haggling over prices. 

Nassau’s buildings were colorful and the police wore snappy uniforms with pith helmets. 

The John Bull store was very British, with wonderful deals on cameras and watches. 

The shops on Bay St were full of bargains, and I was able to buy Waterford and Lladro at great prices. 

The Nassau Store was all dark wood, with a second story gallery. Lots of British and European goods to be bought there. 

Walking to the Queen’s Staircase and the Water Tower was lovely, past the Princess Margaret Hospital. We would walk back down Parliament St and visit the Land leather shop with its beautiful beautiful purses, belts and billfolds. 

Next to that was the Scottish Shop, with gorgeous woolens. 

Nowhere in our wanderings did anyone approach us to sell drugs or braid our hair. 

Nassau was, like I said, an exotic foreign port, and the high point of three and four day cruises. 

It’s very sad they’ve not been able to maintain what we enjoyed so much back then. 

Although we’ve probably been to Nassau more than 50 times, we still enjoy it and are never bored.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pstone1 said:

Although we’ve probably been to Nassau more than 50 times, we still enjoy it and are never bored.  Different strokes for different folks.

I’m glad somebody still likes it!

Taking a ride all the way around New Providence Island is interesting. Lots of wealthy Brits have winter homes there. 

28 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Mariner lost her gangways ?

Apparently they blew off the dock yesterday. Divers haven’t retrieved them and apparently they can damage the ship if we try to dock. 

That is OK, as we were at Coco Cay on Tuesday. This itinerary had us there Tuesday and Thursday

m

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Apparently they blew off the dock yesterday. Divers haven’t retrieved them and apparently they can damage the ship if we try to dock. 

That is OK, as we were at Coco Cay on Tuesday. This itinerary had us there Tuesday and Thursday

m

Yes, but this is the second time we have driven close, waved to Cococay and driven away. So, I apologize to everyone on the Mariner, I believe we are the problem! Ha!

we are adjusting and thankful for Tuesday and some nice weather!!

• Haha 1

We missed having our comedian / juggler on Majesty last night. He was supposed to get on in Nassau but couldn’t since we skipped Nassau. They said they could not fly him to Key West to board there yesterday due to the Jones Act. 

So the entertainment was the Orchestra playing for the 2nd night in a row.  I felt bad for the musicians - when they made the announcement many headed for the exits. 

This “test” of a smaller ship has not been so great.  It reinforces why we like the larger ships.  So much more to do / entertainment so much better. 

On a positive note, we have had great table mates in the MDR. Have really enjoy our dinner time. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thrifty99 said:

We missed having our comedian / juggler on Majesty last night. He was supposed to get on in Nassau but couldn’t since we skipped Nassau. They said they could not fly him to Key West to board there yesterday due to the Jones Act.    ...

The law is called the PVSA.

Royal could have flown him to Key West as long as they offloaded him in Nassau.

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The law is called the PVSA.

Royal could have flown him to Key West as long as they offloaded him in Nassau.

Thanks Bob - not sure why cruise director said “Jones Act”.  Maybe just easier for him. 

I feel bad for the 1st time cruisers on this sailing. Not fun on your 1st cruise to deal with itinerary changes and missed entertainment (when there is not much to begin with). One young man I had met in line during check-in was cruising for his 1st time.  He was concerned with this small ship but I told him there is still plenty to do and any cruise is a good cruise. He came up to me yesterday at lunch and said “you lied to me. We missed a port and there isn’t much to do here”. I felt bad for his first experience and recommended he try one of the larger ships. 

Considering that they missed the port, it's too bad that they spend the extra money to get the headliner to perform.  Perhaps the headliner had another commitment and could not stay on the ship until  it got to the next foreign port.

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Considering that they missed the port, it's too bad that they spend the extra money to get the headliner to perform.  Perhaps the headliner had another commitment and could not stay on the ship until  it got to the next foreign port.

We had Tony Tillman for the headliner this week back on night 2. It would have been nice to have another show by him one of the next 3 nights. The Royal Caribbean dancers one night and then 2 nights of the Royal Caribbean Orchestra was not very entertaining. 

They did announce Tony will be a part of the farewell event tonight so it seems he has been on board. Knowing Royal that was planned all along but they want to make it sound like they did something extra. All about how you spin it. 

2 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

We had Tony Tillman for the headliner this week back on night 2. It would have been nice to have another show by him one of the next 3 nights. The Royal Caribbean dancers one night and then 2 nights of the Royal Caribbean Orchestra was not very entertaining. 

They did announce Tony will be a part of the farewell event tonight so it seems he has been on board. Knowing Royal that was planned all along but they want to make it sound like they did something extra. All about how you spin it. 

It's very typical for headliners to appear on two consecutive cruises.  They would normally bring them on in the last half of one cruise and keep them for the first half of the second cruise.  We've done a number of B2B cruises where the headliner was in the B2B group with us.

15 minutes ago, thrifty99 said:

I think we picked up TT in Coco Cay.

He was listed in the Compass for Nassau night

Screenshot_20200124-120744_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ec03c0b41f3c262fc510a2b4596c0628.jpg

We didn't go😉

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I think we picked up TT in Coco Cay.

He was listed in the Compass for Nassau night

Screenshot_20200124-120744_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ec03c0b41f3c262fc510a2b4596c0628.jpg

We didn't go😉

I bet you were supposed to pick him up in Nassau but we did not make it to Nassau and that is why he is still on board. 

Just now, thrifty99 said:

I bet you were supposed to pick him up in Nassau but we did not make it to Nassau and that is why he is still on board. 

Are you certain he is onboard, though?

I honestly don't recall hearing any announcement that he did not perform Wednesday night. Where are you now?

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Are you certain he is onboard, though?

I honestly don't recall hearing any announcement that he did not perform Wednesday night. Where are you now?

Yes - we were told he was performing tonight as part of the Farewell Event. We were at sea yesterday and today so he hasn’t had any chance to get back on board. 

We we were supposed to pick up the comedian / juggler (I think his name was Adam) on Nassau but that didn’t happen since we did not follow you to Nassau after spending  Coco Cay together. We went back to Key West. 

• Thanks 1