Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

We’re in the same situation, and that doesn’t sound promising. I don’t have the new itinerary in front of me right now, so not sure if we make the cut off for Oman, and Qatar. However we do make the cut off for Israel. Just when you think you’re all set, a new change .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

4 hours ago, rols said:

There will not be an available vaccine this year. It's unlikely there will be one by next winter 'flu season but there will probably be one the season after that. However if C-19 follows the path H1N1 did, the virus itself will mutate to become weaker and population immunity will slow its spread.

Yes - that is what I am thinking: probably at least 18 months for a vaccine to be widely available.

However, the annual flu jab will remain important, and will help, to the extent that one's immune system is not compromised by other viruses, should C-19 be about. As oldies, we get a pneumonia jab as well each year. I wonder if this also helps to prevent or mediate against the onset of pneumonia that C-19 brings in critical cases?

3 hours ago, AlaskaGrown said:

It says for Oman "Passengers arriving from China (People's Rep.), Iran, Japan, Korea (Rep.) or Singapore will be subject to quarantine for a minimum of 14 days."  We are assuming this means within 14 days of arrival as the other countries are saying. Not sure what to do now...

You may be able to just stay on the ship for the stops in Oman.....? ...... not ideal.....

In fact this policy is well behind developing trends. Singapore is as safe as anywhere deemed safe can be, whereas there should be quarantine restrictions on passengers from Italy. Germany and Spain are looking a bit vulnerable too.

23 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

Yes - that is what I am thinking: probably at least 18 months for a vaccine to be widely available.

However, the annual flu jab will remain important, and will help, to the extent that one's immune system is not compromised by other viruses, should C-19 be about. As oldies, we get a pneumonia jab as well each year. I wonder if this also helps to prevent or mediate against the onset of pneumonia that C-19 brings in critical cases?

Interesting - in the US There are two pneumonia shots that one gets as one enters ones golden years, but just once each,  not annually. There's also a strengthened version of the flu shot for seniors.

25 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

As oldies, we get a pneumonia jab as well each year. I wonder if this also helps to prevent or mediate against the onset of pneumonia that C-19 brings in critical cases?

I doubt it. The pneumonia vaccine is for Pneumococcal bacteria and thus ineffective for a viral pneumonia.

I don't think you need the pneumonia vaccine annually unlike the flu vaccine - check with your MD.

We only get it once:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/ppv.html

• Thanks 1

I got it for the first time late last year, but A, my wife, has had it two years running. Perhaps the local practice's records aren't very up to date....

Thanks for the correction - I'll check, though right now I'm willing to take any jab that's offered😷

We get a flu jab annually and I had a pneumonia jab end of last year, it lasts a life time, and was a one off.

I never react to anything, I'm lucky like that, but I did to the pneumonia jab.... my arm was twice it's size and bright red!

I'm UK too 🙂

49 minutes ago, Flamin_June said:

I got it for the first time late last year, but A, my wife, has had it two years running. Perhaps the local practice's records aren't very up to date....

Thanks for the correction - I'll check, though right now I'm willing to take any jab that's offered😷

There are two Different ones, a year apart. 

1 hour ago, Flamin_June said:

In the United State, the pneumonia vaccine is a two part vaccine.  You get one shot the first year and then the second shot the next year.  I'm sure it is not effective with the coronavirus, but is a good idea for everyone over 60 or maybe 65 to have.  And yes, there is the stronger version which is highly recommended.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

In the United State, the pneumonia vaccine is a two part vaccine.  You get one shot the first year and then the second shot the next year.  I'm sure it is not effective with the coronavirus, but is a good idea for everyone over 60 or maybe 65 to have.  And yes, there is the stronger version which is highly recommended.  

This quote is from the CDC website - see post #457 (highlighting mine):

PPSV23

PPSV23 protects against 23 types of bacteria that cause pneumococcal disease.

PPSV23 is recommended for:

• All adults 65 years or older,
  • Anyone 2 years or older with certain medical conditions that can lead to an increased risk for pneumococcal disease.

Most people need only one dose of PPSV23. A second dose of PPSV23, and another type of pneumococcal vaccine called PCV13, are recommended for certain high-risk groups.  Your health care provider can give you more information.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

PPSV23

• Anyone 2 years or older with certain medical conditions that can lead to an increased risk for pneumococcal disease.

Most people need only one dose of PPSV23. A second dose of PPSV23, and another type of pneumococcal vaccine called PCV13, are recommended for certain high-risk groups.  Your health care provider can give you more information.

It is interesting to read how other countries handle this vaccination. Here in Australia PPSV23 is recommended and given free for all adults over 65  and those with certain medical conditions.

The repeat dose of PPSV23 was given 5 years later. In the medical practice I worked in we would send out reminder letters to patients.

Even though my husband and I are younger than 65 we got this vaccine at the beginning of the year and at AU$41pp we saw it as buying an extra insurance policy.

My husband and I have just invested in getting last years flu vaccine as the new one won't be available here until April. It was recommended by my husband's doctor because the flu vaccine is only at peak effectiveness 3-4 months after being given. Which I must admit I didn't know as I don't remember learning that a few years ago when I was still working.

Julie

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

PPSV23

The recommendation we received was for both doses--one year apart.  We are over 65.  Each person should rely on the advice of their own physician of course.  Our pharmacist did confirm that they are recommending two doses for everyone over 65.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jozi said:

There's also shingrix, for shingles, two shots about 2-6 months apart. Not contagion related but recommended by doctors.

Shingles is contagious until it has scabbed over. But can't we stay on-topic? Remember the coronavirus?

2 hours ago, frantic36 said:

It is interesting to read how other countries handle this vaccination. Here in Australia PPSV23 is recommended and given free for all adults over 65  and those with certain medical conditions.

The repeat dose of PPSV23 was given 5 years later. In the medical practice I worked in we would send out reminder letters to patients.

Even though my husband and I are younger than 65 we got this vaccine at the beginning of the year and at AU$41pp we saw it as buying an extra insurance policy.

My husband and I have just invested in getting last years flu vaccine as the new one won't be available here until April. It was recommended by my husband's doctor because the flu vaccine is only at peak effectiveness 3-4 months after being given. Which I must admit I didn't know as I don't remember learning that a few years ago when I was still working.

Julie

We are in Australia (port Douglas) and have been enquiring about the flu shot. We are mid 40s and never had it but after contracting the flu on my last Seabourn cruise will definitely get them moving forward.

Having the same problem, it is not available up here, they are hoping for March which might give us enough time if our April cruise proceeds. If not we have to order in last years.

This is not a political post.  But, I want to say that in the United States we have a very fragmented medical system.  We get our flu and pneumonia vaccines at the local pharmacy.  I look for a pharmacist that I trust and like.  He advises us on what we need. THEN, our physician asks on a questionnaire if we have had the vaccines.  We have always had medical insurance (and  now Medicare as we are over 65), so our insurance or Medicare pays for the vaccines.  Many people have no medical insurance.  I have no idea what the vaccines cost--and I am sure most of those people do not get them.  Last week, I had my yearly check up with my physician.  He told me that the poor and uninsured with succumb first to the coronavirus.  He suggested that this was a problem because they are on the front lines of caring for the elderly--in nursing homes, in upscale assisted living facilities, etc.  He pointed out also that our large city (Dallas) has no way to test for the coronavirus.  He also expects a shortage of prescription drugs.  It was a pretty dire prognosis (and my physician is a conservative Repbublican).  Some of us are very fortunate.  We have the financial ability to get the medical care we need (WHEN it is available) and have insurance for the vaccines.  But--when there is a prescription drug shortage--we will all be out of luck. 

As I said above, I am not trying to be political in any way.  I really hope the pandemic does not develop and all this worry is for nothing.  At the same time, I watch the news and am beginning to see the coronavirus spreading through our country---at least in California, Washington state, Delaware, and now NYC.  MOST cases are due to travel.  In fact, MOST cases stem from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.  

Hopefully within a month or so all of this will seem like a bad dream.  Hopefully cruises will go forward and everyone will have their usual good time.  However, at the moment, Italy is not looking to be a likely vacation spot.  

Edited to add:  EVERYONE in the United States is advised to get the flu shot--NOT just those over 65.  

Edited by SLSD

5 minutes ago, SLSD said:

This is not a political post.  But, I want to say that in the United States we have a very fragmented medical system.  We get our flu and pneumonia vaccines at the local pharmacy.  I look for a pharmacist that I trust and like.  He advises us on what we need. THEN, our physician asks on a questionnaire if we have had the vaccines.  We have always had medical insurance (and  now Medicare as we are over 65), so our insurance or Medicare pays for the vaccines.  Many people have no medical insurance.  I have no idea what the vaccines cost--and I am sure most of those people do not get them.  Last week, I had my yearly check up with my physician.  He told me that the poor and uninsured with succumb first to the coronavirus.  He suggested that this was a problem because they are on the front lines of caring for the elderly--in nursing homes, in upscale assisted living facilities, etc.  He pointed out also that our large city (Dallas) has no way to test for the coronavirus.  He also expects a shortage of prescription drugs.  It was a pretty dire prognosis (and my physician is a concervative Repbublican).  Some of us are very fortunate.  We have the financial ability to get the medical care we need (WHEN it is available) and have insurance for the vaccines.  But--when there is a prescription drug shortage--we will all be out of luck. 

As I said above, I am not trying to be political in any way.  I really hope the pandemic does not develop and all this worry is for nothing.  At the same time, I watch the news and am beginning to see the coronavirus spreading through our country---at least in California, Washington state, Delaware, and now NYC.  MOST cases are due to travel.  In fact, MOST cases stem from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.  

Hopefully within a month or so all of this will seem like a bad dream.  Hopefully cruises will go forward and everyone will have their usual good time.  However, at the moment, Italy is not looking to be a likely vacation spot.  

Edited to add:  EVERYONE in the United States is advised to get the flu shot--NOT just those over 65.  

I am Australian so can’t comment other than to say I had to go to Emergency in Miami after a Regent cruise (all the signs of a heart attack) and got great care BUT what was different was the Dr told me I wasn’t having a cardiac situation and they believed I was no longer in a terminal risk situation so they were going to discharge me even though I still had severe symptoms. He told me that in the US in emergency their job is not to diagnose the actual problem but decide on the risks and welfare of the patient. He suspected I had pneumonia and asthma along with a muscle problem so told me if the pneumonia returned /worsened to seek additional medical care. What this tells me is they are unlikely to test for Coronavirus compared to other health systems unless they feel the patient is at risk. So it makes sense to me that the official number of cases at the moment is lower in the US (personal opinion on how cases are likely tested not a judgement on system).

Side note, my emergency bill was $600 when they mistakenly thought I was a resident, when insurance went to pay for it the bill was amended to $6,000.

Let me correct a few facts.  All data available on-line.

- All Americans over 65 are covered by Medicare. It is great.

- About 13% of Americans don’t carry health insurance.

- If you can’t afford insurance or health care there is Medicaid coverage.

No one goes without healthcare in the US.  Even illegals get healthcare. ( and in my opinion, having experienced health care in Europe, the best in the world)

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Here in Australia it is the same with everyone recommended to get the flu shot. The over 65 free vaccine is for pneumonia. We can get and I have got sometimes my flu shot from a pharmacist and just let my doctor know next time I see them. 

40 minutes ago, teamflames said:

Having the same problem, it is not available up here, they are hoping for March which might give us enough time if our April cruise proceeds. If not we have to order in last years.

Hopefully it will come Mid-March as best you have it a couple of weeks to build immunity. I was also glad I got it earlier because I had a minor reaction feeling snuffly and ? feverish so I was glad I had that prior to boarding the ship 😄.

Talking to my former colleagues they told me this year in Australia instead of a Trivalent vaccine, two Type A and one Type B the new flu vaccine is going to be Quad, two Type A and two Type B.

Julie

11 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

No one goes without healthcare in the US.  Even illegals get healthcare.

Isn't the health care received dependent on health coverage with. Our public hospitals are usually teaching hospitals with access to many of the finest doctors. The problem is delays in getting elective surgery but emergency care is no problem to access these doctors. Is that the same in the USA? 

I have private cover but only to help facilitate getting seen quicker for tests and elective surgery if need be.

Julie

38 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

No one goes without healthcare in the US.  Even illegals get healthcare. ( and in my opinion, having experienced health care in Europe, the best in the world)

Sadly, not true.  I wish you were right, but there is a  large group of Americans who cannot afford medical insurance who do not qualify for Medicaid.  THIS is the cohort my physician is concerned about.  They fall through the cracks and are the most vulnerable to this virus and other illnesses.  

Medicare IS a good system, but it doesn't cover everything (even with a supplement) so there are those still going without essential medications.  I have found that more and more prescriptions my doctor orders for me are NOT covered by Medicare.  We can afford them and just pay for them--but not everyone could pay $400 for a needed prescription.  

And Teamflames---you are correct---Emergency Room care is NOT healthcare---it is urgent care for an emergency--not ongoing diagnostic care or continuing care. 

NOW--back to the coronavirus.  All of the above IS related as it will come into play if there is indeed a pandemic.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Sadly, not true.  I wish you were right, but there is a group of Americans who cannot afford medical insurance who do not qualify for Medicaid.  THIS is the cohort my physician is concerned about.  

Medicare IS a good system, but it doesn't cover everything (even with a supplement) so there are those still going without essential medications.  

You need to do a little research....

• Like 1

I've got to walk away from this topic.It's beginning to affect me and can't understand the complete loss of discussion in this very important topic....Coronavirus!!! The anecdotal and disjointed discussion away from the important and distressing topic at hand is absurd.  There are many sailors who "lurk" on these treads to gain some important and supportive information. If I have some important and useful information,  I will post it.

I wish it were true that no one in the US goes without health care but sadly, that is not the case.  Even those with insurance avoid going to the Dr. because they have a $6,000 - $11,000 deductible and will have to pay out of pocket for any bills.  Many who have insurance have to declare bankruptcy because they cannot afford to pay what their insurance will not pay.  The US health care system is a mess and the situation I have described will exacerbate the coming Coronavirus epidemic here--many people have to practically be dying before they will go to the Dr.

Sorry for the somewhat off topic rant.

Edited by mcmarya
  • Like 3