Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

1 hour ago, AliciaandMark said:

The NCL inconsistencies are completely baffling. Such a great response to all those booked on the Spirit cruises with what I would call very generous compensation and arrangements several weeks and months in advance of those sailings. No doubt all those passengers are grateful for the early heads up and the client centred response to the changes.

Why or why then do they remain so recalcitrant and headstrong on the current Jade sailings and treating their guests who are extremely stressed about their health and well-being as though they simply don’t matter at all.....

.....It seems it’s been a luck of the draw approach to how NCL manage things and those sailing on the Spirit hit the jackpot whilst those sailing on the Jade got the boobie prize! 

As one of those booked on the Spirit cruise departing from Cape Town, and hitting that 'jackpot', I couldn't agree more. Further, I feel somewhat angry about how passengers like you are being treated but believe they will belatedly announce Jade cancellations.....however, it is outrageous what they are putting you folks through in the meantime.

My advice to anyone already decided not to travel is don't cancel, just do a 'no show' for your flight and cruise. If you cancel now, and they then announce changes you will get nothing from them....it truly is shameful.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

But they are a for profit company whose bottom line matters.  They are in the very precarious position of balancing their financials with customer care.  Like walking on a tight rope...in unprecedented circumstances.  If you take a look at any cruise line board on CC right now, you'll find threads suggesting that the company is doing the wrong thing in the wrong amount of time and for the wrong reasons...preserving the bottom line.  I believe NCL and the others put the onus of taking care of the customer, on the customer...in the form of insurance.  Not saying it's right or wrong...just saying.

Coming from the UK we are constantly told about the need for travel insurance even for holidays in the UK and how the onus is on us as customers.

In my experience companies who put their profits completely before their customers tend to suffer an image problem. 

Especially when this is proven to the general public.

Can you imagine what would happen to NCL if passengers caught coronavirus on the 17th Feb sailing on the Jade and/ or was quarantined. This may not be NCL's fault but the public perception would be that NCL put their profit margin before customer safety and are not a company to be trusted. This could have long term effects for NCL.

At the moment there probably no legal or financial reason for NCL to change the 17th Feb cruise but with such a fluid situation this could change very quickly and the odds are not in NCL's favour.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Coming from the UK we are constantly told about the need for travel insurance even for holidays in the UK and how the onus is on us as customers.

In my experience companies who put their profits completely before their customers tend to suffer an image problem. 

Especially when this is proven to the general public.

Can you imagine what would happen to NCL if passengers caught coronavirus on the 17th Feb sailing on the Jade and/ or was quarantined. This may not be NCL's fault but the public perception would be that NCL put their profit margin before customer safety and are not a company to be trusted. This could have long term effects for NCL.

At the moment there probably no legal or financial reason for NCL to change the 17th Feb cruise but with such a fluid situation this could change very quickly and the odds are not in NCL's favour.

Is NCL going to guarantee us that no one on the Jade 2/6, 2/17, 2/27 will come down with the Virus??

We are know that's impossible.  Maybe NCL top executives should join the Jade to show how much faith they have in the best interest for their passengers!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have sent firm but polite emails to the following ncl addresses:

kbyrd@ncl.com
Astuart@ncl.com
hsommer@ncl.com
sdeaton@nclcorp.com
PublicRelations@ncl.com
jleung@nclcorp.com

If anyone has access to other addresses, I would be happy to try them too. IMHO it doesn't help to slam NCL (even if they richly deserve it), rather making an appeal as a valued (silver) customer just might yield results.

Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming. But we have no legal recourse. Everything depends on what the people at NCL decide.

As a reminder, we are booked on the 17 Feb Norwegian Jade sailing. 8 days and counting.

Cheers,   --- Phil

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Completely agree!  Public opinion can certainly make or break a company...seems like a risk NCL might be willing to take.  Perhaps it's cheaper to run PR campaigns to restore the company image than it is to cancel/refund.

Well, that was quick! But profoundly unsatisfying. Here is the reply from kbyrd:

Dear Philip,

Thank you for choosing Norwegian Cruise Line and for being a valuable latitude member.  We understand your concerns and I have included on this communication all measures we are currently taking to ensure the safety and security of our valued guests and crew (this communication was sent to all guests and travel partners sailing in the month of February). 

For those guests who opt to cancel, we advise them to contact their travel insurance carrier for options of compensations.

So the final word from NCL: No travel insurance, no cookie.

Edited by PhilBenz

51 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Sounds like a good deal for you hamrag.

But in reality their not being that generous. The bean counters have probably worked out what is the minimum they can offer you to keep you on this cruise and still break even.

As the legal alternative if you booked in the UK/EU is a full refund plus compensation for the change of disembarkation port.

And the chances of filling your cabin at such short notice would be quite small unless they took a big hit on price, even then it would be difficult.

Plus the chances are cruisers will use NCL excursions in the new ports especially Egypt and Israel.

I would be curious to know what deals they have offered to non UK/EU customers as I know the US contract allows them to change disembarkation port without financial penalty.

When you take the additional days into account, i.e. originally 24 and now 28, we actually have a 57.2% reduction in the cruise price paid! Right now, I have no idea whether the $300 (say £230) flight change compensation will cut the mustard as we booked flights independently with BA and chose Premium Plus.

For the cruise itself, Egypt and Israel would be new for us so are actually a big attraction....which obviously makes it more palatable, for us at least. We remain very satisfied with their offer, but beyond baffled at their treatment of Jade sailings!

USA and Australasian passengers have  reported receiving the same offer, so it's for all booked passengers.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, debshomespun said:

....Maybe NCL top executives should join the Jade to show how much faith they have in the best interest for their passengers!  

Excellent idea, that would sort them out for sure!

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, PhilBenz said:

Well, that was quick! But profoundly unsatisfying. Here is the reply from kbyrd:

So the final word from NCL: No travel insurance, no cookie.

I just received a similar statement regarding my submitted inquiry.  However, I have a new point of contact.  The response is in the name of Jonathan Rose, Manager - Resolution Desk, 305-436-4924, jrose@ncl.com just in case anyone is wondering.

14 minutes ago, debshomespun said:

Is NCL going to guarantee us that no one on the Jade 2/6, 2/17, 2/27 will come down with the Virus??

We are know that's impossible.  Maybe NCL top executives should join the Jade to show how much faith they have in the best interest for their passengers!  

What put their money where their mouths are so to speak.

Not very likely.

5 minutes ago, hamrag said:

When you take the additional days into account, i.e. originally 24 and now 28, we actually have a 57.2% reduction in the cruise price paid! Right now, I have no idea whether the $300 (say £230) flight change compensation will cut the mustard as we booked flights independently with BA and chose Premium Plus.

For the cruise itself, Egypt and Israel would be new for us so are actually a big attraction....which obviously makes it more palatable, for us at least. We remain very satisfied with their offer, but beyond baffled at their treatment of Jade sailings!

USA and Australasian passengers have  reported receiving the same offer, so it's for all booked passengers.

Glad it worked out for you and it 's good to see the others where given the same offer.

Cynically speaking I still do not see how this will end up being a loss for NCL as Eastern Med cruises generally sell well and any losses on re-positioning cruises in real terms (actual cost) may not be that bad for NCL as well as the PR of not cruising to Asia.

Still like you said the situation with the Jade is baffling.

• Like 1

NCL executives wouldn’t be interested as they would go free anytime they wish, I’m sure.

They are not expected to travel from all over to Singapore, and board a doomed sailing that will have no excitement for anyone, no one will enjoy any element of a ‘luxury’ trip!!!

I can’t imagine the staff are in high spirits ..... also afraid of catching this dangerous infection. 

NCL please, please come to your senses, just like you did with the Spirit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

....Cynically speaking I still do not see how this will end up being a loss for NCL as Eastern Med cruises generally sell well and any losses on re-positioning cruises in real terms (actual cost) may not be that bad for NCL as well as the PR of not cruising to Asia....

Absolutely and, as it's now an 'adults only' ship, it will be hugely popular in the Eastern Med....and basically 'brand new' with a $100 million refurb! They will be happy to take the hit on any loss on our sailing.

Not so sure about PR mind you, with the current Jade shambles!

Edited by hamrag

The sad part is that I would never travel without full comprehensive travel insurance. I’m a stickler for that and fully subscribe to the sole responsibility of being covered for the slight chance something goes wrong. The problem here is there is no insurance company that I’m aware of that has epidemics covered in their policy. So even with the full comprehensive cover we have, we aren’t covered. This was unforeseen for everyone. NCL referring us back to our insurances knowing that, says a lot about how much they care. I understand they don’t “have to” care nor offer us a FCC (which is all we want, I’m not asking for a refund). I’m just asking to be treated fairly and recognised for the faith (and dollars) I’ve put in their company to do the right thing, as they have for the Spirit passengers. I’m willing to take a hit on the flights, hotel accomodation and all the other on-costs but to lose $7,000+ we’ve invested in this cruise ON TOP of all that is heartbreaking at best.

My dilemma remains - cancel and loose it all ($10,000+) but have piece of mind; or travel and risk getting caught up in the crisis of the virus including the possibility of extended quarantine issues and the slim but real chance that if I were to get sick I’d potentially be out of pocket tens of thousands of dollars (being conservative here) in international medical costs and new flights home! It’s a no win scenario at this stage of the game. Also have to consider the impact of both those choices on my family (we have kids at home not travelling with us on this occasion).

NCL, I accept this isn’t your dilemma it’s mine, but what harm could have come to your multi-million dollar empire by simply offering to transfer our already paid cruise fare to a future cruise?! 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, hamrag said:

As one of those booked on the Spirit cruise departing from Cape Town, and hitting that 'jackpot', I couldn't agree more. Further, I feel somewhat angry about how passengers like you are being treated but believe they will belatedly announce Jade cancellations.....however, it is outrageous what they are putting you folks through in the meantime.

My advice to anyone already decided not to travel is don't cancel, just do a 'no show' for your flight and cruise. If you cancel now, and they then announce changes you will get nothing from them....it truly is shameful.

With regard to the flight, if they no show won't it be cancelled, thus they can't pay the change fee and use the flight at another time within a year?  If they choose not to go, they should at least cancel their flight; why waste all that money when they can still use the ticket at a later date.

8 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Absolutely and, as it's now an 'adults only' ship, it will be hugely popular in the Eastern Med....and basically 'brand new' with a $100 million refurb! They will be happy to take the hit on any loss on our sailing.

Not sure where you got the "adults only ship" information from but my understanding is the kids pool area at the back of the ship was converted into an adult only H2O zone with hot tubs. Most of the rest of the ship still allows kids.

1 minute ago, NLH Arizona said:

With regard to the flight, if they no show won't it be cancelled, thus they can't pay the change fee and use the flight at another time within a year?  If they choose not to go, they should at least cancel their flight; why waste all that money when they can still use the ticket at a later date.

OK, that is generally not always an option in the UK....but fair point so maybe plan a very late cancellation, in the hope NCL finally play ball.

6 minutes ago, AliciaandMark said:

My dilemma remains - cancel and loose it all ($10,000+) but have piece of mind; or travel and risk getting caught up in the crisis of the virus including the possibility of extended quarantine issues and the slim but real chance that if I were to get sick I’d potentially be out of pocket tens of thousands of dollars (being conservative here) in international medical costs and new flights home! It’s a no win scenario at this stage of the game. Also have to consider the impact of both those choices on my family (we have kids at home not travelling with us on this occasion).

NCL, I accept this isn’t your dilemma it’s mine, but what harm could have come to your multi-million dollar empire by simply offering to transfer our already paid cruise fare to a future cruise?! 

Lots of us are in the same boat!

We always get insurance through Allianz for protection.  Never would have imagined this hellish nightmare could happen!!

52 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Completely agree!  Public opinion can certainly make or break a company...seems like a risk NCL might be willing to take.  Perhaps it's cheaper to run PR campaigns to restore the company image than it is to cancel/refund.

I agree.  I remember when there was all the bad press around the bomb cyclone cruise.  There was negative press all over here, the media and the press and folks said it would ruin NCL.  People forget, especially those not affected and business will run as usual.

Someone said, at least give us FCC and if they do that, many will scream that they don't want to cruise on NCL after this and it is not fair that they don't get a full refund.

Wondering if NCL is waiting for all the ports to be closed, so they have to cancel the cruises and then their insurance will pay for all the costs of the cancellations.  

4 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

Not sure where you got the "adults only ship" information from but my understanding is the kids pool area at the back of the ship was converted into an adult only H2O zone with hot tubs. Most of the rest of the ship still allows kids.

It has been marketed as such, but they won't deny kids hence why I stated 'adults only' rather than adults only!😉

They have removed all the kid and teenage hideaways, to make it unattractive to families.

• Like 1

After hearing about the compensation the Spirit bookings are receiving, Im more angry and confused than ever! So Norwegian Cruise Lies does know how to provide customer service but they just arent choosing to do this for the Jade customers. Someone stated bulling and intimidation yesterday but I'd call it more discrimination.

Second response, from jrose@ncl.com. Word for word the same as the previous reponse (see above). Except for the very first line. Either all the NCL employees have been told to paste the same message, or (more likely) they are routing all inquiries to an automated response system. As NLH Arizona said above, we can only hope that Sinfapore and other ports of call are closed to cruises, so that the entire itinerary can be cancelled.

25 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Wondering if NCL is waiting for all the ports to be closed, so they have to cancel the cruises and then their insurance will pay for all the costs of the cancellations.  

I agree this is probably what NCL are waiting for.

23 minutes ago, hamrag said:

It has been marketed as such, but they won't deny kids hence why I stated 'adults only' rather than adults only!😉

They have removed all the kid and teenage hideaways, to make it unattractive to families.

They did this on the Star and I don't think it made a huge difference to number of kids.

The kids pools at the back were not well used, due to the positioning away from bars and food and were awkward to get to with small kids.

I would imagine there was a cost to maintaining this area plus insurance costs.

Putting a bar here is a revenue maker. 

There are a few discrepancies where with deck plans on various sites including NCL being different, some showing kids clubs after revitalization some not. As one of the first on please let us know?

14 minutes ago, JCopp said:

After hearing about the compensation the Spirit bookings are receiving, Im more angry and confused than ever! So Norwegian Cruise Lies does know how to provide customer service but they just arent choosing to do this for the Jade customers. Someone stated bulling and intimidation yesterday but I'd call it more discrimination.

I don't think the compensation Spirit bookings are getting is anything to cheer about, 10% if you book another cruise within 45 days plus your money back, some customers including myself are going to be thousands of £/$'s out of pocket with no help from NCL

2 hours ago, Atgatsea said:

I just received a similar statement regarding my submitted inquiry.  However, I have a new point of contact.  The response is in the name of Jonathan Rose, Manager - Resolution Desk, 305-436-4924, jrose@ncl.com just in case anyone is wondering.

Hello. In the past, what has worked for passengers that believe they have been harmed by NCL was to band together in a large, collective passenger group and involve independent third parties, like the media. Emails to Harry and Katy are often times less effective because they are the ones making NCLs policies. 

This is not a theory. This happened back in April 2018 on Norwegian Sun. The details are beyond the scope of this thread, but are available on the internet. Within a day or two of hitting the news, NCL changed their position and offered a full cruise credit to every passenger.

Media loves to sensationalize stories like this. Understandably, NCL executives hate when stories like this make the news.

You need great coordination, communication, and a lot of hard work to make something like this happen, and there are, of course, no guarantees. I am glad you have strong conviction and I wish you all the best. I suppose there is still an outside chance that Singapore could close up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nomad098 said:

Putting a bar here is a revenue maker. 

There are a few discrepancies where with deck plans on various sites including NCL being different, some showing kids clubs after revitalization some not. As one of the first on please let us know?

Free at Sea perks = low bar revenue!

Cannot imagine there'll be any kids on a 28 night cruise sailing 22 March....not that it would bother us.

Edited by hamrag