Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

30 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

I wouldn't mind being tested if I did not have any symptoms in case I was a carrier, who didn't show symptoms, because I wouldn't want to infect others.

Ah, but as I understand if you were on Diamond Princess you and your fellow passengers be already confined to your cabin, so you would not be spreading it to others.  

Furthermore, if they were to test you how many locations (oropharynx, nasopharyngeal, lower respiratory...) and how frequently would you propose you and your fellow passengers be tested?  Since the Diamond Princess passengers are, unfortunately, already confined, might it not be better to save the test kits in lest they are needed for really sick people?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskeel said:

So are you going or staying home?

We also leave on Thursday and we may not decide until then.  Our TA says that at this point, there is no need to tell NCL if we cancel because we would lose everything except taxes anyway.  He said we can just stay home.  My wife and I both got letters from our doctors that they recommend that we "not" travel to asia because of coronavirus.  We don't have any special medical conditions, other than possibly our age.  The letters may give us leverage later on if we attempt to recover our money.  

33 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Ah, but as I understand if you were on Diamond Princess you and your fellow passengers be already confined to your cabin, so you would not be spreading it to others.  

Furthermore, if they were to test you how many locations (oropharynx, nasopharyngeal, lower respiratory...) and how frequently would you propose you and your fellow passengers be tested?  Since the Diamond Princess passengers are, unfortunately, already confined, might it not be better to save the test kits in lest they are needed for really sick people?

I wasn't confined to my cabin when I was at the airport, when I embarked the ship, etc.

I would be tested as many times as the medical staff felt necessary and would not have an issue.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 9:41 PM, hamrag said:

The Spirit schedules, I am convinced, are about to change and the ship will sail two cruiselegs Rome to Dubai; Dubai to Cape Town and then the 24 night cruise originally scheduled Cape Town to Singapore will return to the Med on a similar route to arrive in Athens for the Spring/Summer season!

We are booked on the Cape Town to Singapore leg, but a good number are scheduled to be on for 80 nights, i.e. the 3 sailings above and then Singapore to Tokyo which was to be the new home port for Spirit....so hugely sad for anyone scheduled to do all of that.

Much more on the other thread....Spirit Last Minute Changes....will be posted in the coming hours and days, I am certain.

If you go the NCL website Japan ports have been removed. I was about to book the Spirit for July and it has been removed. 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:53 AM, nomad098 said:

Not sure where you got the "adults only ship" information from but my understanding is the kids pool area at the back of the ship was converted into an adult only H2O zone with hot tubs. Most of the rest of the ship still allows kids.

They also removed the Guppies, Splash Academy and Teen club. They will be offering schedule family activities. 

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

That’s a cruddy situation to be in, sorry 😞

When faced with this same decision last week, I finally came up with this question: "If someone offered me my same trip all expenses paid, would I take it?"  My answer was no.

Good luck with your decision because no matter with what you decide, it was the RIGHT decision for you....and that is all that matters.

• Like 1

Latest on Thailand's port - HAL's Westerdam was heading there to dock this Thursday and ... 

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1855034/thailand-denies-westerdam-cruise-ship-entry-china-virus-toll-passes-1-000 

Westerdam's current AIS position, currently heading west, south of Vietnam's southeast coast, about 150 to 175 nm from Ho Chi Minh City, cruise speed 12 knots.  Norwegian Jade is heading east (opposite direction - about 75 nm apart) toward the Westerdam, expected to call at Phu My (HCMC) at 16 knots.  

Flight routing options - folks on the East Coast, going home from Singapore (i.e. Toronto or New York) fly "westbound" to Frankfurt (FRA) Germany, i.e. LH has a non-stop, wide-body jet - it's a somewhat long layover - then, non-stop to JFK or YYR on LH or AC.  Last minute one-way airfares are $$$ but seats open in coach and business class.  Total travel time, including layover is about 30 hours. 

Screenshot_20200210-220326.png

QM 2 - also getting diverted, skipping ports in Asia, heading straight from Malaysia to West Australia - https://www.sbs.com.au/news/queen-mary-2-cruise-liner-diverted-to-wa-amid-coronavirus-fears

Hey, NCL - hint, hint !! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, PRtoCA said:

They also removed the Guppies, Splash Academy and Teen club. They will be offering schedule family activities. 

I noticed this as well.

On some of the plans of the ship they are showing the lounge on deck 13 forward as a teen lounge on travel agents websites.

I wonder if they will use other lounges as kids entertainment areas when not in use as bars. They used to do this for 10-12 year olds on some ships.

Would make sense on immersive cruises

1 hour ago, nomad098 said:

I noticed this as well.

On some of the plans of the ship they are showing the lounge on deck 13 forward as a teen lounge on travel agents websites.

I wonder if they will use other lounges as kids entertainment areas when not in use as bars. They used to do this for 10-12 year olds on some ships.

Would make sense on immersive cruises

image.png.e259939f214e3cfe07ef6eeccb19d94f.png

10 hours ago, PRtoCA said:

If you go the NCL website Japan ports have been removed. I was about to book the Spirit for July and it has been removed. 

Yep, that happened a week ago and has been much discussed across various threads....but thanks for the very belated 'heads up'! 😏

Edited by hamrag
  • Haha 1

To everyone on the 2/27 sailing, please know that NCL will do to you what they have done to the passengers on the 2/6 sailing and are planning to do to those of us in the 2/17 sailing.  These executives are monitoring the situation by reading charts, graphs, balance sheets, etc. but never hearing from the customers.  All of the frontline staff know nothing of value other than the standard statement.  The only way to get through to NCL decision makers is through direct contact, either by us or through a news outlet.  I have made calls and sent emails which (are we surprised?) have gone largely unanswered except for a copy of their ‘health and safety is our number one priority’ statement.  I urge everyone, including those on the 2/27 cruise (have they switched the stop in Malaysia yet?) to contact media outlets, file complaints with the BBB (there are a lot for NCL), leave posts on Facebook and YouTube (maybe even contact Don), and contact employees directly so that our voices can penetrate executive insulation. They are stalling and hiding and need to be exposed.

Edited by Atgatsea
  • Like 1

The other thing you see from time to time is when pressure is placed on existing partner relationships. For example, when Nike pulls their sponsorship when some athlete does something off the wall that results in negative perceptions. 

NCL used to have relationships with Nickelodeon, Buffett, Jose Garcas, Geoffrey Zakarian, and others, but they've all been terminated. Maybe still Michael Mondavi with the wine bar, Skyy with the ice bar on a few ships. There may be others I'm not thinking about.

10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Latest on Thailand's port - HAL's Westerdam was heading there to dock this Thursday and ... 

Hey, NCL - hint, hint !! 

Thank you for these updates! I really appreciate them. 

Edited by Masekr11

19 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

I urge everyone, including those on the 2/27 cruise (have they switched the stop in Malaysia yet?) to contact media outlets, file complaints with the BBB (there are a lot for NCL), leave posts on Facebook and YouTube

I’ve done the same but so far the media doesn’t seem to be interested (probably because they are only getting a couple of “tips”.)  I’ve also created Facebook and Twitter accounts so I can post as someone else suggested. YouTube is a good idea.

Like BLcruising said, we need a large group of people to complain on forms other than this one. It’s ridiculous we have to do this, but NCL is forcing us too. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

None of the ports NCL is sailing to have been closed so not sure...

They canceled future cruises on the Spirit due to “growing concerns about the Coronavirus in Asia” yet they are continuing to sail in the area.  Maybe you can enlighten us and tell us what these concerns are and how they do not pose a current risk to the health and safety of the crew and passengers. What are they not telling us? 

Edited by Atgatsea
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

None of the ports NCL is sailing to have been closed so not sure what the problem is and why they would offer refunds and have an empty ship?

See Cunard announcement posted above. I think there is a lot of uncertainty about port calls in the region and entry requirements traveling in or through countries are changing rapidly. This makes planning an itinerary challenging for any cruiseline while making it very difficult for passengers to meet the ship. Other cruiselines, airlines, and hotels have relaxed their passenger contracts in light of these challenges to allow passengers to decide what they want to do. Each situation is unique for many reasons.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

To everyone on the 2/27 sailing, please know that NCL will do to you what they have done to the passengers on the 2/6 sailing and are planning to do to those of us in the 2/17 sailing.

Which specific ship/sailing are people the most concerned about it? I've been in and out of this thread but not quite sure which specific situation is causing the uproar. 

3 minutes ago, perditax said:

Which specific ship/sailing are people the most concerned about it? I've been in and out of this thread but not quite sure which specific situation is causing the uproar. 

The Jade - set to sail 2/17 and 2/27 out of Singapore.

Edited by Atgatsea
  • Like 1