Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

1 hour ago, Atgatsea said:

One of the points for this forum is to help us get answers from NCL because they are refusing to answer basic questions and give us reasonable assurance our health and safety will not be jeopardized by sailing.  This is not a discussion about insurance.  Your digressing from the topic at hand adds nothing.

Great...you've only been here a week and somehow you know the point of the forum? Sure. Cruise Critic set all of this up just so you can "get answers from NCL".

According to the CDC, there are 19-21 MILLION cases of Norovirus each year in the US alone. Considering the numbers, how can you feel "reasonable assurance " that your health and safety will not be jeopardized by Norovirus? It is far more likely that you will suffer from the Norovirus than it is you will the Coronavirus. Does your concern about health and safety and the demand for answers extend to the Norovirus as well? 

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Great...you've only been here a week and somehow you know the point of the forum? Sure. Cruise Critic set all of this up just so you can "get answers from NCL".

According to the CDC, there are 19-21 MILLION cases of Norovirus each year in the US alone. Considering the numbers, how can you feel "reasonable assurance " that your health and safety will not be jeopardized by Norovirus? It is far more likely that you will suffer from the Norovirus than it is you will the Coronavirus. Does your concern about health and safety and the demand for answers extend to the Norovirus as well? 

It is also much more likely that a person will suffer from influenza than a corona virus,

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It is also much more likely that a person will suffer from influenza than a corona virus,

This is a true statement. Flu is not Coronavirus and vice versa. So complete your thought because I'm curious.

Is the theory, then, to play the odds and take your chances? Do what you can to protect yourself and hope you aren't contaminated? That's basically what we do with flu.

1 hour ago, blcruising said:

Interesting read. The conclusion is an interesting one....

"it appears there should be legislation introduced to require cruise companies to provide insurance to protect the consumer from epidemics and other natural disasters."

There you go. Pass this legislation and the cruise companies will be required to provide insurance (and didn't someone say this wasn't about insurance?) for all guests. Which simply means that they will buy a policy and then pass the cost of that policy on to the guest (most likely with a little profit added for their trouble). 

So the guest ends up paying and they have to take whatever policy they are given...the guest will have no choice in the matter.

You can see how this would ultimately NOT be something that is to the guest's advantage, right? 

18 minutes ago, PhilBenz said:

NCL's latest response to my persistent emails:

Thank you for the email.  We understand your concerns and strive to assist our guests whenever possible.  It is because of unexpected situations that we strongly recommend that guests obtain travel protection insurance. As a convenience to our guests, we offer various travel protection plans at time of booking, as well as during several follow up communications. Unfortunately it appears you elected not to purchase travel insurance.  

Wow. Seems just like what I've been saying all along. Get properly insured. The only people complaining are those who chose NOT be insured and now want someone else to be financially responsible for their decision (Unfortunately it appears you elected not to purchase travel insurance).

Makes you wonder why anyone would ever purchase insurance if you could just simply brow-beat and shame someone into paying you when you choose to not be insured.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The people making the most noise are the uninsured.

In my case, I'm both highly vocal and have travel insurance. 

As I've discovered, travel insurance (even the highest level) generally doesn't cover what everyone on my 17 February Jade sailing is having issues with. That is, you're not covered if the cruise line changes your embarkation port less than two weeks before your departure, and expects you to change your flights to a completely different country over 1,600 miles away. This would be roughly equivalent to finding out that instead of boarding in Fort Lauderdale, we instead had to figure out how to get to Venezuela to board a cruise ship.  

Travel insurance also doesn't explicitly cover non-refundable hotels we've booked in HK, as the duration of the trip is still the same. We may try rolling the dice and see what happens, but I'm not sure they'll want to pay out. Travel insurance will be great if I catch COVID-19, but I'd really prefer that not happen.

In our case, after being forced out of Hong Kong when the port was officially closed, NCL has offered to cover "reasonable" flight changes, which can only be submitted for reimbursement after our sail date commences. Per multiple calls to NCL on the phone, no one is really sure. what "reasonable" is, and they need to make sure we're on the ship and sailing before they reimburse that money to us. They've also offered 10% of the cruise fare refunded to us and a 25% future cruise credit for changing to a new embarkation port. 

While I understand NCL's goal of making money, in this case the communication to the guests has been abysmal, with just slightly altered messaging coming out every few days. Princess is posting regular videos and messages each day, updating the public on the status of the Diamond princess. Royal has run open and honest communication with their guests, both canceling cruises and offering generous refund options. 

NCL's PR team appears to be led by Kylo Ren, and is just taking a scorched earth perspective on both this specific sailing, and their open and honest communication with passengers. NCL has had every opportunity to make this right for the passengers on this sailing, and has repeatedly taken steps to issue the same statement over and over. It's the same thing if you call.

The only thing most of us are looking for from NCL is an acknowledgment that "hey, this really sucks, but here's how we're going to make it right, and we hope you come back to sail with us again!" So far, that has not been my experience. 

Edited by AstoriaPreppy
typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, zqvol said:

EXACTLY. Not to mention Sars, Mers, Mad Cow Disease, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, etc. According to Chicken Little, there is no shortage of options when it comes to the illness du jour.

Perhaps, unrelated news - an alternate port for those souls on the Westerdam - Cambodia will be the disembarkation point very soon for the passengers, and a relief for the crew.  And, I quote "  has 1,455 passengers and 802 crew on board, will dock at the Cambodian seaport of Sihanoukville on at 7am on Thursday"

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3050316/coronavirus-westerdam-cruise-ship-allowed-dock-cambodia

There are no reported or known/possible Covid-19 cases on this ship, as it has turned into a cruise to nowhere for 2+ weeks as the outbreak evolved. 

This is a shinning example of crisis management in HAL's corporate excellence, going above and beyond, and not sticking to the passenger contract.  Full disclosure - proud & pleased to be a tiny, small, minority shareholders that invested a bit in them and held.  Cheers to HAL and the Carnival brand.  

NCL - well, no comment, plentiful said.  It's important to note that, I also read & follow the roll calls (while not sailing anytime soon with NCL) that some are sailing from UK and EU countries, where terms & conditions are different, and insurance coverage might not help too much (for the ones that purchased & had them)  Re-routing and re-booking flights on short notice across the globe, isn't fun - and, if you've used NCL's "free" Air ... probably had good experiences as well as not so good one.  

2 minutes ago, blcruising said:

I'm not even on the sailing ...just can't stand corporate greed and seeing people get hurt. Always route for the underdog!

Well then why should I, you, or anyone else ever buy insurance for anything? Just fight the corporate greed and make them pay for our decisions!!

Route is a path you take.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, PhilBenz said:

NCL's latest response to my persistent emails:

Why do you describe their response as 'unhelpful and irresponsible'? It seems to me to be both helpful and responsible....the opportunity to purchase appropriate insurance for all is readily available. If anyone chooses not to avail themselves, then....

27 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I do know the point of this forum and it is not to troll!  Diversion and digression are common debate tactics when you have no relevant support for your argument. Is that why you divert (insurance) and digress (norovirus) when neither are germane to this thread.  What is your point?  What are you trying to get across?  It sounds like you are someone with no skin in game who is arguing for the sake of arguing and, in doing so, are rubbing salt in our wounds.  I am sure your ego will force you have to have the last word...my only question will be whether that last word is “insurance” or “norovirus.”  Thanks

Edited by Atgatsea
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Atgatsea said:

Good for your “friend” - having a good time when 110 individuals were evacuated for having been in a hot zone, sailing in an area where the cruise line itself refuses to sail in the future and has canceled cruises due to “growing concerns about the Coronavirus in Asia” yet continue to sail currently despite the risks, supporting a company that puts profits over the health and safety of its crew and guests while ignoring valid concerns from its guests about possibly having infected persons on board due to NCL’s health screenings not being able to catch everyone who has the virus.  Glad to hear your “friend” is able to put all that aside and have a good time.  What is the point of posting this message?

Bit Rude.....I wonder what your point is.  Mine was to say its not all doom and gloom ! I'm sure more people have got other bugs and colds/flu etc .....  put it into perspective .....

26 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

EXACTLY. Not to mention Sars, Mers, Mad Cow Disease, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, etc. According to Chicken Little, there is no shortage of options when it comes to the illness du jour.

I'm surprised anyone cruises when there are so many diseases out there to catch.🤔

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Why do you describe their response as 'unhelpful and irresponsible'? It seems to me to be both helpful and responsible....the opportunity to purchase appropriate insurance for all is readily available. If anyone chooses not to avail themselves, then....

The vast majority of so-called "travel insurance" policies do not cover the current COVID-19 pandemic. They cover you for things that happen to *you* prior to your trip (hospitalisation, etc) not "force majeur" situations.

Who in their right minds would travel to Singapore right now and embark on an NCL Jade petri dish while waiting to see if they come in contact with the coronavirus pandemic?

These posts slamming those who didn't "purchase appropriate insurance" are disingenuous and rude. But if that's how you roll, by all means, have a good laugh at the unwashed masses.

Edited by PhilBenz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PhilBenz said:

The vast majority of so-called "travel insurance" policies do not cover the current COVID-19 pandemic. They cover you for things that happen to *you* prior to your trip (hospitalisation, etc) not "force majeur" situations.

Who in their right minds would travel to Singapore right now and embark on an NCL Jade petri dish while waiting to see if they come in contact with the coronavirus pandemic?

These posts slamming those who didn't "purchase appropriate insurance" are disingeuous and rude. But if that's how you roll, by all means, have a good laugh at the unwashed masses.

Well said - and how many of these insurance trolls have no skin in this game?   Are they posting nonsense just to illicit reactions?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

I am sure your ego will force you have to have the last word...my only question will be whether that last word is “insurance” or “norovirus.”

It's also ok not to engage with everyone on these boards. That's a direction I've recently had a lot of success with!  You do you, but just sharing what has worked for me.

Edited by blcruising
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

In my case, I'm both highly vocal and have travel insurance. 

As I've discovered, travel insurance (even the highest level) generally doesn't cover what everyone on my 17 February Jade sailing is having issues with. That is, you're not covered if the cruise line changes your embarkation port less than two weeks before your departure, and expects you to change your flights to a completely different country over 1,600 miles away. This would be roughly equivalent to finding out that instead of boarding in Fort Lauderdale, we instead had to figure out how to get to Venezuela to board a cruise ship.  

Travel insurance also doesn't explicitly cover non-refundable hotels we've booked in HK, as the duration of the trip is still the same. We may try rolling the dice and see what happens, but I'm not sure they'll want to pay out. Travel insurance will be great if I catch COVID-19, but I'd really prefer that not happen.

In our case, after being forced out of Hong Kong when the port was officially closed, NCL has offered to cover "reasonable" flight changes, which can only be submitted for reimbursement after our sail date commences. Per multiple calls to NCL on the phone, no one is really sure. what "reasonable" is, and they need to make sure we're on the ship and sailing before they reimburse that money to us. They've also offered 10% of the cruise fare refunded to us and a 25% future cruise credit for changing to a new embarkation port. 

While I understand NCL's goal of making money, in this case the communication to the guests has been abysmal, with just slightly altered messaging coming out every few days. Princess is posting regular videos and messages each day, updating the public on the status of the Diamond princess. Royal has run open and honest communication with their guests, both canceling cruises and offering generous refund options. 

NCL's PR team appears to be led by Kylo Ren, and is just taking a scorched earth perspective on both this specific sailing, and their open and honest communication with passengers. NCL has had every opportunity to make this right for the passengers on this sailing, and has repeatedly taken steps to issue the same statement over and over. It's the same thing if you call.

The only thing most of us are looking for from NCL is an acknowledgment that "hey, this really sucks, but here's how we're going to make it right, and we hope you come back to sail with us again!" So far, that has not been my experience. 

That is exactly my situation and I couldn’t agree more. I am really fed up with been told you should have Travel insurance. I do it doesn't cover this situation I always have comprehensive travel insurance and I am fully covered if I was to contract Coronavirus but I am not covered if I choose not to go.

I wish that my fellow CC’s who keep talking about “cancel for any reason insurance” would understand it is not available to every country maybe not even out of North America . I have 77 sea days with NCL and have never once been offered travel insurance at any point in the booking process or afterwards.  

Fellow Brits please see advice from simon Calder 

https://mobile.twitter.com/SimonCalder/status/1227589671024254976

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I really feel for anyone booked on the next few sailings of the Jade. It’s a terrible situation to be in. I really don’t understand why some of the posters here feel the need to stick the knife in. 
We are booked on The Jade in April. I am struggling to see how any European ports will accept The Jade until there has been some sort of quarantine, be it self imposed or enforced. We have not reached our Pay in full date (40 days for Ireland), so I’m thinking of cancelling and just loosing the deposit. We like to play Ryanair roulette with flights so luckily have no flights purchased either. There is just too much uncertainty with the situation at present.

P.S. I purchase year round travel insurance. And just like other posters have stated , there is no cancel for any reason insurance available here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1