Norwegian Unresponsive to the Coronavirus in Asia

Capeviewer

13 hours ago, MazzyKn said:

Sea shark

I am from the UK and have comprehensive travel insurance, however no UK travel insurance covers if you wish to simply cancel because you longer wish to go. We will only be refunded if someone is too ill to travel, we have a close family bereavement, the Cruise is cancelled or the Foreign Office advises against travel. NCL are putting lives at risk, and it is highly likely our itinerary will be severely compromised. A full refund or credit in these circumstances is not unreasonable.

We are in Australia & our insurance seems to be the same as uk, we can't just decide it's unsafe to travel.  We have a Europe trip booked for may/June,  with 19 nights of ncl cruising,  just hoping the virus settles before then as $14.000 down the drain is hard to take.

I found this on the roll calls. Here is your answer about the current cruise itinerary. Summary, NCLs position is Vietnam is being "unreasonable" because it has denied them entry. Umm, has anyone at NCL read about Coronavirus in Singapore recently? NCL required every passenger to transit through Singapore to meet the ship just 6 days ago. Excuse me, Vietnam's job is to protect it's people, even if that interferes with your corporate greed and carelessness. Sorry, NCL, these are the consequences of sending your ship to a high risk area. You lose.

Wait, it gets better. NCL has upped the 25% future cruise credit to 50% and is issuing a $200 per stateroom onboard credit. So, $100 per person if two in a room and $50 per person if four in a room. They state the OBC can be used for "any expenditure on the ship". I guess they mean $15 shots of vodka or $40 steaks or overpriced spa services.

And then the best part in true NCL fashion, they finish their message by reminding guests that the onboard credit can not be used to pay for daily service charges. The Captain's signature concludes the letter.

image.thumb.png.68da948c83273fc3bcc01cb6788cd0df.png

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blcruising said:

I found this on the roll calls. Here is your answer about the current cruise itinerary...

NCL says the port is being unreasonable?  They just got called out for a reckless decision and cannot accept they did something wrong.  No doubt Vietnam will be off the list for the 2/17 sailing because it will have some of the same crew.  They will be hearing from me again today with another demand for a refund due to a significantly altered (and diminished) itinerary.  NCL still sailing is madness!

• Like 3

Exactly!  Did the thought never cross their minds that countries may decide that it's not a good idea to bring cruise ships in?   Especially ships that have been to Hong Kong and Singapore.   Vietnam certainly wasn't the first country to ban cruise ships.   They knew this, but they decided to sail anyway.  Not only that, but what about the safety of the passengers and crew?   Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard cancelled all cruises from Singapore because "safety is their number one priority" but they choose to back up their words.  

• Like 4

My prediction is that the Jade Feb 17 cruise will do the same itinerary as the Jade Feb 06 cruise.  They will offer us the same compensation, and they won't tell us that anything has changed until we get on the ship.  They are hell bent on doing this cruise.  Coronavirus be damned.  

I have no problem with them doing the cruise.  But could they offer passengers the option to cancel for a refund or at least FCC?  Why have a ship full of unhappy people?   Did they ever wonder that passengers may not like the radically changed itinerary.  Did they ever wonder that some passengers might be concerned about their safety?  Did they ever wonder that it might be quite an inconvenience for passengers to possibly be quarantined for 14 days?  Did they ever wonder that it might be a good idea to make an attempt to show passengers  that NCL would be a good choice when they book their next cruise? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My guess is no - and also, judging by their actions, the new CEO and executive team were put in place for one reason and it is not the health and safety of the crew and passengers.  Having been recently appointed, the new CEO will never admit to erring in judgment - especially this early in his reign - and will, instead, forge ahead as planned because any deviation will mean having to admit the emperor has no clothes.  I am doing my best to tell the CEO he has no clothes but NCL is well insulated.  But, I will not stop trying!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I'd say thank you...were outta here.   We are flying to Singapore in about 24 hours.  If we get to Singapore and find the cruise is cancelled for the same compensation, I would be ecstatic.  Yes it would be inconvenient, but we would get out of doing a cruise that we feel is not safe.  We would be getting enough compensation to do two future cruises at a safer time and place for free.  And since we bought airfare through NCL, they would have to buy us a tickets to get home.  And we would have a free two day holiday in Singapore to top it off.  

But, would you then go on to say....'Clearly, safety is their number one concern.'..as you said of Princess? 😉  

I sent an email to NCL’s CEO Harry Sommer this morning.  Remarkably, he “responded” rather quickly at 4:52am with the email below.  Notice the hubris - the media is creating a stir, Vietnam is unreasonable...  This tells me the emperor definitely has no clothes!  See below:

Thank you for writing in.  Our concerns about the virus for the Spirit voyages revolve around consumer expectations about the virus and not the virus itself.  We recognize that the media has created quite a stir around this and the demand for travel to Asia was fallen as a result.   We believe we have taken great precautions for the upcoming Jade voyages and are avoiding all contact with areas where the virus in rampant - noting that Mainland China has reported around 99% of all reported worldwide case, a country we are avoiding on all of our ships.

We truly hope that you can join us.  If you would like a list of all processes we have in plan to ensure guest safety, Katty will be happy to provide.  Just let her know.

All the best,
Harry

4 hours ago, blcruising said:

I found this on the roll calls........

Excuse me, Vietnam's job is to protect it's people, even if that interferes with your corporate greed and carelessness....

......Wait, it gets better. NCL has upped the 25% future cruise credit to 50% and is issuing a $200 per stateroom onboard credit. So, $100 per person if two in a room and $50 per person if four in a room. They state the OBC can be used for "any expenditure on the ship". I guess they mean $15 shots of vodka or $40 steaks or overpriced spa services.

And then the best part in true NCL fashion, they finish their message by reminding guests that the onboard credit can not be used to pay for daily service charges. The Captain's signature concludes the letter.

image.thumb.png.68da948c83273fc3bcc01cb6788cd0df.png

I would say NCL are being very fair with their offer, given that there is no illness on board the ship....most probably because of NCLs' duty of care in applying very strict protocols. Incidentally those $15 shots of vodka you mention are covered in the 'free at sea package'. 😏

My comments, I know, will not sit well with you or others because it doesn't fit your agendas....fair enough, you are entitled to opinions different from mine although the persistent accounts of emails and social media are as helpful as the NCL mantra that many have criticised....me included. I do not believe that NCL should bow to pressure from those not willing to forfeit their cruise and flight fares because of a fear of picking up an illness....that is totally unreasonable, and the remedy for those who do not wish to travel (or are truly afraid to) is clear! 

That said, I firmly believe NCL will end up cancelling the next cruise because of the fact ports in Vietnam and other countries in the region have no option but to follow their government directions, despite Harry Sommers' considered and fair response to yet another email....watch this space.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

We believe we have taken great precautions for the upcoming Jade voyages and are avoiding all contact with areas where the virus in rampant

Well, I am sure they are taking precautions onboard. The crew is probably working like crazy. Incidentally, most areas where the virus is rampant are closed, making it impossible to travel there, but thanks for pointing out the obvious, Harry.

The problem is that the cruise doesn't operate in a vacuum. Passengers are required to travel through and around areas that have known cases before boarding the ship, creating exposure and the possibility the virus is brought aboard. The Jade was in Hong Kong less than two weeks ago. It was in Singapore less than a week ago . Hong Kong and Singapore have reported at least 50 confirmed cases, some of the highest numbers of cases outside of China. The Jade was in Cambodia a few days ago. Cambodia, at last report, was still accepting flights from mainland China.

Furthermore, many ports of call are denying access to their countries which greatly changes the published itinerary and vacation.

Harry's response above does not acknowledge or address any of these facts. They are basically assuming their onboard protocols are sufficient.

PS....At least he does acknowledge that Spirit cancellations were not in the interest of passenger safety, but rather profitability ( lack of consumer demand). Harry, we've come to expect nothing less from your company and it sounds like you'll be a great fit for your new roll, I mean role.

Edited by blcruising
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Atgatsea said:

I sent an email to NCL’s CEO Harry Sommer this morning.  Remarkably, he “responded” rather quickly at 4:52am with the email below.  Notice the hubris - the media is creating a stir, Vietnam is unreasonable...  This tells me the emperor definitely has no clothes!  See below:

Thank you for writing in.  Our concerns about the virus for the Spirit voyages revolve around consumer expectations about the virus and not the virus itself.  We recognize that the media has created quite a stir around this and the demand for travel to Asia was fallen as a result.   We believe we have taken great precautions for the upcoming Jade voyages and are avoiding all contact with areas where the virus in rampant - noting that Mainland China has reported around 99% of all reported worldwide case, a country we are avoiding on all of our ships.

We truly hope that you can join us.  If you would like a list of all processes we have in plan to ensure guest safety, Katty will be happy to provide.  Just let her know.

All the best,
Harry

Glad to see a more targeted response to the concerns that at least attempts to address the issue of inconsistencies in the cancelling of Spirit but not the Jade. I’ll take this as NCL having made their decision to proceed with the sailings moving forward. The hardest part has been not knowing what the next action will be. Knowing that it’s going ahead I will accept that, try and park my worries and get into the positive mode of anticipating a great, safe and comfortable cruise for everyone. Please don’t let us down NCL. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blcruising said:

Well, I am sure they are taking precautions onboard. The crew is probably working like crazy. Incidentally, most areas where the virus is rampant are closed, making it impossible to travel there, but thanks for pointing out the obvious, Harry.

The problem is that the cruise doesn't operate in a vacuum. Passengers are required to travel through and around areas that have known cases before boarding the ship, creating exposure and the possibility the virus is brought aboard. The Jade was in Hong Kong less than two weeks ago. It was in Singapore less than a week ago . Hong Kong and Singapore have reported at least 50 confirmed cases, some of the highest numbers of cases outside of China. The Jade was in Cambodia a few days ago. Cambodia, at last report, was still accepting flights from mainland China.

Furthermore, many ports of call are denying access to their countries which greatly changes the published itinerary and vacation.

Harry's response above does not acknowledge or address any of these facts. They are basically assuming their onboard protocols are sufficient.

PS....At least he does acknowledge that Spirit cancellations were not in the interest of passenger safety, but rather profitability ( lack of consumer demand). Harry, we've come to expect nothing less from your company and it sounds like you'll be a great fit for your new roll, I mean role.

The onboard protocols no longer include paper menus and crew serving guests rather than serving themselves. Why have they relaxed these protocols on the current sailing?
What does that tell you about “taking every precaution”

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PhilBenz said:

Thanks for pointing this out, PPCox! Brits can potentially use this legislation to get a full refund.

I doubt we have anything like this here in France, but I'll start looking.

I contacted Mr Calder as he stated a package was flights and a cruise bought in a single transaction.

I asked Mr Calder to re-look into this as the UK/EU authorities and ABTA consider a cruise of it's self a package without the need to book flights.

Mr Calder has looked into this and has agreed with the information I provided and adjusted the story in the column accordingly but cannot alter the twitter post.

Mr Calder has also told me this morning that when ABTA office opens today he will be contacting them in regards to any help for those in the UK who booked their cruise in the US.  As some US travel agents target the UK markets.

• Like 2

Norwegian Cruise Lies is abusing the terms and conditions of its contract.  The provisions allowing for itinerary changes are meant for situations such as political unrest and natural disasters - not for use to force a foolhardy sailing because a bunch or arrogant and greedy executives cannot admit they are wrong.  Notice how it is always someone else’s fault - the media is making a stir, Vietnam is being unreasonable, blah blah blah - which smacks of greed, immaturity, and narcissism.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lou33 said:

But do you think that passengers should be responsible to pay extra to buy CFAR insurance because a crazy cruise line may otherwise send them on a cruise they feel is unsafe?  Remember, this would be a non-issue for any cruises booked through Royal, Celebrity, Princess, and Cunard because they have cancelled all of their Singapore cruises.  

I agree it’s not right that NCL has not cancelled. I was just speaking to your  insurance comment. 

Can I just clarify this point, if you booked through a UK travel agent you can enforce the change of departure port as a reason to cancel with a full refund. If you are from USA this does not count as a material change so cannot cancel (even with insurance)?

Edited by phil the brit

I wonder if the embarkation port change to Singapore plus no Vietnam is a “material” change?  Who wants to bet NCL tries to force Cambodia (which has no virus-related travel restrictions in place and is allowing anyone to dock there) as a substitute?

Oh, and a second question, as the two ports in Vietnam have now been changed to "days at sea" AND the change of embarkation port has been changed as well of course. This together then surely is so far away now from the original itinery that it becomes nothing like what was bought and paid for.

I mean, if I go into McDonalds and ask for a quarter pounder and given chicken nuggets then surely that is a "material change" that could be rejected?

Edited by phil the brit
spelling