Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  

I'm looking for a roundtrip transatlantic to Spain or Italy from the US east coast. It doesn't have to be the same cruise line. It doesn't even have to end in the same port. In fact, I could even fly to a different European departure port from where the first ends.

Basically, I just detest flying anymore + won't even attempt the long flight back. Dates are flexible, but, I ain't gettin any younger. I've looked all over, not having any luck roundtrip. Maybe there's a TA around. TIA

5 minutes ago, CRocks said:

I'm looking for a roundtrip transatlantic to Spain or Italy from the US east coast. It doesn't have to be the same cruise line. It doesn't even have to end in the same port. In fact, I could even fly to a different European departure port from where the first ends.

Basically, I just detest flying anymore + won't even attempt the long flight back. Dates are flexible, but, I ain't gettin any younger. I've looked all over, not having any luck roundtrip. Maybe there's a TA around. TIA

We have done 2 TAs in the same year but these are usually in the spring and fall. Most ships reposition to Europe in the spring and reposition to the Caribbean in the fall.  So - we usually book just one multi-city (open jaw) r/t airline ticket. Good luck finding a r/t that fits your parameters - there may be one out there of which I am not aware.

When the ships travel from the US to Europe, they are moving their ships to stay in Europe for the spring/summer/fall season before returning to the US again for the Caribbean season in the winter.  Not sure how long you plan to stay in Europe, but it’s probably for a shorter time frame than three seasons.  Assuming you’re crossing to Europe in the spring, you can pretty much have your pick of cruiselines (I would use an online cruise agency website to see all the options by limiting your search to TransAtlantics (or repositioning) in the filters).  The only return I can think of is to check Cunard for their Southampton to NYC crossings and see if they have something that fits your return.

(We’re like you and hate flying long hauls, but have yet to come upon the perfect T/A solution both ways, so end up flying in one direction ... We find westbound is definitely easier since the flights are during the day.)

Edited by 2552phxcrzr

26 minutes ago, CRocks said:

Our last couple of cruises were transatlantic round trips on QM2 - we have also decided to avoid flying as part of our vacation planning, are are less than 90 minutes from the Brooklyn Cruise terminal.

As you have likely discovered, it is difficult to pair seasonal repositioning cruises into a round trip [unless you want several months between eastbound and westbound legs.

You have few round trip options

• Book a round trip with ports to visit between the eastbound and westbound legs - for example we are looking at Cunard's "Grand Norwegian Explorer'.  HAL offers the 'Voyage of the Vikings' as a more port intensive round trip.
  • Book a westbound Cunard crossing to pair with an eastbound repositioning. You can meet QM2 in one of several ports [Southampton, Hamburg, LeHavre...] depending on Cunard's schedule.
  • Book two separate QM2 crossings, and do stuff in between. Last fall some 'Road Scholar' folks left the ship in Southampton and did a Normandy / D Day tour while the ship was sailing to Hamburg, rejoining in LeHavre. 

We have booked  a 15 day cruise on Carnival Valor from New Orleans to Barcelona departing Jan 25, 2021.  The ship will under a refurbishment and then return on February 26, 2021 back to New Orleans.  This gives us 17 days in between.  Many options but we have also booked an MSC 7 day from Barcelona during that time.  

As Dawnrae mentioned Carnival Valor is doing a roundtrip transatlantic Tampa to Barcelona January 26th '21 I believe it is and returning to Tampa Feb. 28th.

Very few Round Trips are available in my observation.   Cunard of course have regular sailings.   Celebrity had a RT this year on Summit to Dublin, Ireland.    I believe it was very well booked by B2B's