Does the Explorer tender at Mykonos?

26 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

The biggest ship docks!

I'm not sure this is true. I thought (and this was something a Captain once said when we visited Mykonos) that the first ship gets the dock.

However to the OP - according to cruise timetables there are 2 ships in that day, Azamara at 8 and MSC at 9. The smallest ship will be in first so will be interesting to see what happens. There are advantages to either. If you dock you are a couple of miles out of town but should definitely get in - Mykonos is notorious for ships being unable to tender due to seas, we missed a call there last September due to this. If you tender you will be taken by tender straight to town.

My research has led me to believe that there are 4 ships in port that day:  Explorer of the Seas, Axamara Journey, MSC Sinfonia, MSC Opera and that the Azamara ship has reserved the Dock.

When the port agent for a ship makes arrangements for the ship to be in port they reserve a specific dock (or tender) space so the captain knows where to go and can make the necessary arrangements for debarkation (port, starboard, tenders, etc).   

Steve

49 minutes ago, stevea36 said:

My research has led me to believe that there are 4 ships in port that day:  Explorer of the Seas, Axamara Journey, MSC Sinfonia, MSC Opera and that the Azamara ship has reserved the Dock.

When the port agent for a ship makes arrangements for the ship to be in port they reserve a specific dock (or tender) space so the captain knows where to go and can make the necessary arrangements for debarkation (port, starboard, tenders, etc).   

Steve

What site are you using? I have used CruiseTT in the past however, it doesn't seem to be updated. 

7 minutes ago, RBKL said:

What site are you using? I have used CruiseTT in the past however, it doesn't seem to be updated. 

cruisecal.com, some TA sites that I have access to, and you can search the port authority sites for the ports you are looking at.  (unfortunately the Mykonos one doesn't show dock assignments).

2 hours ago, stevea36 said:

Steve

Thank you

4 hours ago, stevea36 said:

Steve

Not true at all again, this is decided much later, sometimes at arrival with the pilot.

I don’t know what authority we can quote on this but the first come first serve option described seems exceptionally odd particularly for cruises that plan every detail.

it would seem like the ship would need to know if it were going to dock or tender. Are the cozt of docking and tendering the same? 

It seems like tendering boats back and forth for 10-12 hours would cost more than sitting in the dock and the ships would race to get their first.

I’ll see in May when we’re supposed to be the first ship to arrive but we’re scheduled to tender.

On 2/7/2020 at 4:22 PM, Preacherman46 said:

Might want to do it on our own. Last time we had a walking tour around the Mykonos town.

Consider taking the Ferry to Delos Island.  It is absolutely SPECTACULAR!  You can catch the ferry at the port where the tender drops you (if you tender).  When we did it, we took an early ferry and came back in time to still walk around Mykonos. But seriously consider it.  Here's a pretty good article on it.  The Lions in the first picture are some 3000 years old and have been in the weather for the entire time!  Definitely worth consideration.

https://ancient-greece.org/archaeology/delos.html

• Thanks 1

No idea what the correct answer is nowadays.

But many years ago we docked I believe we were in Santorini and Captain Tommy asked us all to make sure we were all aboard on time as he wanted to leave at the designated time with no delays as many ships were due to be in Mykonos the following day all due to arrive within an hour of each other and he wanted to be first there to enable him him dock.

Dock we did.

In fact the weather took a turn for the worst shortly after ( high winds ) and only one other ship from memory manage to get into Mykonos that day folks had to tender ashore.

9 hours ago, RBKL said:

I don’t know what authority we can quote on this but the first come first serve option described seems exceptionally odd particularly for cruises that plan every detail.

it would seem like the ship would need to know if it were going to dock or tender. Are the cozt of docking and tendering the same? 

It seems like tendering boats back and forth for 10-12 hours would cost more than sitting in the dock and the ships would race to get their first.

I’ll see in May when we’re supposed to be the first ship to arrive but we’re scheduled to tender.

Docking is much more expensive for a ship as you pay the port by meters of docking space and time. Tendering costs less but you have to do the work and time intense tender operations and sometimes have to pay for external tender boats. For operational reasons they will not dock a small ship like e.g, Azamara and let a big one like Explorer tender. If they are of comparable size it might be first come / first serve in some small tourist ports like Mykonos but not in the big industrial ports that have to finalize this allocation earlier.

23 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

We'll arrive at Mykonos October 2nd. It's listed "tendered". Any chance we'll dock??

Tender is the default, but you might dock. It depends on when you arrive and if there are other ships scheduled.