Lack of information from Azamara

sunlover33

31 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I think it's the decongestant agents that some Vicks products have (and others like Sudafed) which is the issue so I believe First Defence is ok. But yes, it can be a bit of a minefield. 

Phil 

Yes First Defence is ok and the bottle is small enough it can come in carry on liquids. It backs off sore throats and colds really effectively but is no use for flu. (Suppose its a useful cold and man flu v proper flu test) and 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/02/17/new-coronavirus-what-dont-we-know-dr-anthony-fauci-q-a-opinion/4790996002/

According to Fauci, Corona Virus is 10 times more deadly than flu  ( 2% vs. .1 or .2 %)

My sister works for the CDC in Atlanta, they are working hard to learn more about Corona and develop a vaccine.  She says at this point there is a lot they don't know about it.  She says the death rate for the flu is more like .05%, depending on the strain of course and the quality of health care available.   That makes corona 40 times more deadly.   And although a 2% rate is low, if you're over 60, the death rate is much higher.  One odd thing, it doesn't seem very deadly to small children, they can't figure out why. 

• Thanks 1

I think the smoking rate in China must be a factor in the death rate. In a Wikipedia article, it stated that 75% of Chinese men are smokers.  This leaves them must more vulnerable to sicknesses that are focused on the lungs, such as the pneumonia that commonly follows the corona virus.

Remember, the bulk of people with the virus just get cold like symptoms. Without testing the entire population there is no way to accurately determine a death rate just yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MNgardens said:

I think the smoking rate in China must be a factor in the death rate. In a Wikipedia article, it stated that 75% of Chinese men are smokers.  This leaves them must more vulnerable to sicknesses that are focused on the lungs, such as the pneumonia that commonly follows the corona virus.

Remember, the bulk of people with the virus just get cold like symptoms. Without testing the entire population there is no way to accurately determine a death rate just yet.

Indeed and their culture of spitting in the streets which older people typically do (and more in some geographic areas such as Hubei than in say Shanghai) might have an impact 

guess I am really disappointed because after being with Azamara  for the days stuck dead in water and after nominating the line for travel award they won and spending many hours traveling with them and with  the CEO when he  was with Seabourn I am only asking for update...………………….they must know what is going to happen in about 6 weeks     They will be arriving from Australia so they must know....and now with so many cancelations the room we have is selling for about 1/2 of what we paid  and the price of upgrade  as I have offered be incredibly high   Of course it is hard for RCCL however if they do not treat their loyal customers with respect and fairness will we come back or will Azamara be another mass market ship  I so loved the old days of Seabourn when arriving home you would sometimes receive a vase of roses or a call from Warren Titus asking about the trip!! I am aware  ships can no longer afford the rosses but can be forth coming with information!!!!  Dorothy Wood  Global Travel Globility board member

1 hour ago, hamptonroads said:

guess I am really disappointed because after being with Azamara  for the days stuck dead in water and after nominating the line for travel award they won and spending many hours traveling with them and with  the CEO when he  was with Seabourn I am only asking for update...………………….they must know what is going to happen in about 6 weeks     They will be arriving from Australia so they must know....and now with so many cancelations the room we have is selling for about 1/2 of what we paid  and the price of upgrade  as I have offered be incredibly high   Of course it is hard for RCCL however if they do not treat their loyal customers with respect and fairness will we come back or will Azamara be another mass market ship  I so loved the old days of Seabourn when arriving home you would sometimes receive a vase of roses or a call from Warren Titus asking about the trip!! I am aware  ships can no longer afford the rosses but can be forth coming with information!!!!  Dorothy Wood  Global Travel Globility board member

Look at the Seabourn board-they cancelled a cruise when everyone had already arrived and were ready to board. A lot of unhappy folks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hamptonroads said:

Hello Dorothy,

I’ve posted statements on all the upcoming voyage Roll Calls, including the two that touch Singapore. As of today there are not plans to alter those itineraries, but we continue to monitor the situation and will let everyone know if the situation changes.

On another note your post has reminded me of my good fortune to have worked closely with both the legendary Warren Titus, and the equally legendary Larry Pimentel. Mr Titus instilled in all of us the importance of listening to our guests and Mr Pimentel continues that legacy.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and frustrations. Please know we value your input and your history with our brand. We hope to maintain your trust.

Bonnie (Berg) MacLaird 

I am on Crystal and we have one Chinese crew member working thrunSteiner salons. She was informed yesterday in Auckland that she had to leave her job in Sydney as she could not go to Bali. She has been in the ship since Sept. if she was sick...

meanwhile as  of Feb 20rh this ship is still going to Bali and Singapore . Then on to India etc. 

no other info here.

Singapore spread of cononavirus does seem localized and confined to certain areas.  The clusters have been identified and the Singapore government has pretty tight controls over comings and goings.  They are at the third level out of four at level orange on risk with red being the fourth level.  I would think that as long as Singapore remains at orange, Azamara may embark/disembark there.  It might be one of those times where I would put on the facemask.  

On 2/17/2020 at 5:23 PM, hamptonroads said:

it really bothers me that Azamara is not giving us more details   We are scheduled on the 4/11 cruise out of Singapore and probably will not be allowed...I read that India is not allowing people from Singapore or Thailand to land

As long time Azamara I am beyond disappointed....it was my favorite ship...we were on it when the fire happened and as a loyal past guest even nominated them for several awards  they won....and can you believe I have called every few days to see if they have made a decision and no response...the PR is awful    Why get a visa and air to not go>????? 

Hi hamptonroads, me again...I’m wondering if you did NOT receive the email sent yesterday to booked guests on our 4/11 voyage?

Ok but no need to shout 😊. Typical of a virus peaks and troughs. Do you really expect Azamara to cancel and run through to Europe empty taking a decision this early. Appreciate you’re stressed about it but give Azamara time. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hamptonroads said:

morning friends......just onj NBC   virus is down in China but BAD IN SINGAPORE

I’m not sure why you think it’s so bad. There are 85 cases, most are clusters and most people are recovering. There have been no deaths in Singapore. The situation is much worse in Japan ( due to the diamond princess) and South Korea.
There  is a lot of  scaremongering on here. The total number of  worldwide deaths outside China is 11. Compare this to deaths per country from Influenza, car accidents, heart attacks etc. If you were so concerned, you would never leave the house, drink alcohol, smoke, or eat anything remotely fatty. In fact it would be better to live in a bubble. I think a little perspective is needed here. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3051457/coronavirus-singapore-confirms-3-new-cases-chinese

• Like 8

A positive comment on the title of this thread :

We have received emails from Azamara this morning, 26 days before we are due to board.

Content is basically similar to that of Azamara's Travel Advisory of 11 February, along with a little more detail regarding financial assistance for re-routing flights and refunds should one be denied boarding, as well as enhanced sanitizing of the ship and complimentary checkup for anyone who may develop flu like symptoms while on board.

I would have expected a notification such as this about 3 weeks before sailing, so am happy with the 26 day notification. While we do not need to make any alteration to our travel plans. I can understand the anxiety of those who may need to do so.

• Like 5

Crystal just canceled  several cruises  going from Singapore. It off loaded guests several days ago there,it has been sitting for days in Singapore. 

I am on Serenity waiting to find out if we are still going  there. We are in NZ now and were to go to AU and then up  to Singapore . We were told we would know more next week. 

I am not afraid of Singapore but the   Ports near by. 

On 2/19/2020 at 6:05 AM, ellbon said:

I am on Crystal and we have one Chinese crew member working thrunSteiner salons. She was informed yesterday in Auckland that she had to leave her job in Sydney as she could not go to Bali. She has been in the ship since Sept. if she was sick...

meanwhile as  of Feb 20rh this ship is still going to Bali and Singapore . Then on to India etc. 

no other info here.

It is not nice to hear what is happening to people just because they have a chinese passport. If the crew member was on the ship so long without having contact to infected people, why are they denying her entry to Indonesia?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

It is not nice to hear what is happening to people just because they have a chinese passport. If the crew member was on the ship so long without having contact to infected people, why are they denying her entry to Indonesia?

Ask the Captain and HD. Last I heard nothing yet was decided. But people with Chinese passports could not travel in Asian waters. Meanwhile our ship could change its ports. Will know more soon.

Singapore airlines have just announced they are cancelling many more flights effective ASAP including many to USA. If anyone is booked with them and hasn’t been contacted please review your arrangements.

59 minutes ago, NeilWM said:

Singapore airlines have just announced they are cancelling many more flights effective ASAP including many to USA. If anyone is booked with them and hasn’t been contacted please review your arrangements.

Our flight is United from SFO

no cancellations of Singapore flights currently. They have updated waivers to include South Korea.

On 2/16/2020 at 11:56 PM, chromered7 said:

No worries.

On Quest now, ..being very well looked after by Azamara.....didn't enjoy these days before we left home, but we are very happy with how Azamara are keeping us up to date. Bonnie..maybe you could pass this up the line. Many thanks to you all. An unfolding story, but we feel in safe hands. XX

My husband and I are very frustrated with Azamara too right now!     We are booked on the 3/24 sailing from Sydney that ends in Singapore.     Delta airlines is offering us a full refund on our airfare as we are scheduled to  fly from Singapore to Seoul South Korea (red alert for coronavirus) and then to Atlanta.

It appears that Azamara is pushing ahead with disembarking and embarking in Singapore, which baffles me given the fact that their parent company RCCL and Celebrity (as well as other cruise lines) have pulled out of Singapore and Asia all together.   In fact, RCCL and Celebrity are implementing additional screening measures for anyone who has recently been to Singapore!

We have traveled all all the world with Azamara, Celebrity, and RCCL and are loyal customers.     We would be happy with a credit for a future cruise, but so far they are not offering anything at all.     I wonder if the CEO and executives, along with their families, would feel comfortable traveling to this part of the world at the moment?    The virus is clearly spreading quickly with no sign at all of slowing down.

Clearly, if Delta airlines believes the situation is dire enough to allow for refunds, as well as Azamara's own parent company, it would be foolish for Azamara not to do the same.        Just my opinion ........Nancy