Strollers on board

Markanddonna

I started seeing many strollers on board in the last year. Many in European ports and some parked in the hallway overnight. Is this a new occurrence or have I been not observant. I would say our current sailing has a few hundred strollers (not wheelchairs) and many are quite large. I am talking about infant and preschoolers. 

Why do people think it's OK to block the already narrow hallways on a cruise ship with strollers, scooters, whatever?  I feel it's a fire hazard and security on a ship should enforce these items being stored in the cabin or taken away by security and only returned as the cruiser is getting off at the end of the cruise. 

People should book the cabin they need to store every item they bring aboard (obviously certain exceptions apply specifically on ships with muck/landing rooms for boots and snorkel gear, etc.) or leave it at home.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Why do people think it's OK to block the already narrow hallways on a cruise ship with strollers, scooters, whatever?  I feel it's a fire hazard and security on a ship should enforce these items being stored in the cabin or taken away by security and only returned as the cruiser is getting off at the end of the cruise. 

People should book the cabin they need to store every item they bring aboard (obviously certain exceptions apply specifically on ships with muck/landing rooms for boots and snorkel gear, etc.) or leave it at home.

Are you implying that a disabled person should not be allowed to ride their scooter on the ship and that a baby in a stroller should be held by the parent ?

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

Are you implying that a disabled person should not be allowed to ride their scooter on the ship and that a baby in a stroller should be held by the parent ?

I'm not sure where on earth you got that idea.  I'm saying that people need to not park scooters and strollers and whatever else in the hallway, but instead should keep it in their cabin--and should book a cabin large enough to do so to begin with.  Those who can't obey those simple to understand rules should have their "object on wheels" removed for the remainder of the cruise.

• Like 7

Just now, ducklite said:

I'm not sure where on earth you got that idea.  I'm saying that people need to not park scooters and strollers and whatever else in the hallway, but instead should keep it in their cabin--and should book a cabin large enough to do so to begin with.  Those who can't obey those simple to understand rules should have their "object on wheels" removed for the remainder of the cruise.

I have yet to see a scooter or stroller idle in a hallway.

Just now, lenquixote66 said:

I have yet to see a scooter or stroller idle in a hallway.

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I started seeing many strollers on board in the last year. Many in European ports and some parked in the hallway overnight. Is this a new occurrence or have I been not observant. I would say our current sailing has a few hundred strollers (not wheelchairs) and many are quite large. I am talking about infant and preschoolers. 

Yes, but the OP did say that they saw strollers parked in the hallway overnight. And I agree that that is a safety issue and shouldn't be happening.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I agree.  I never really thought much about strollers but lately, parents are buying these huge contraptions that are as big as wheelchairs.  Leaving these monstrosities in the hallways is terribly irresponsible.  

• Like 4

Been on what is now over 30 cruises on a few different lines.  I have very seldom seen anything other than cleaning carts blocking hallways.  In fact I cannot remember ever seeing a scooter or wheelchair blocking a hallway.  Perhaps this is prevalent on certain itineraries I haven't been exposed to, which in my case would be Caribbean routes.  IDK.  

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Been on what is now over 30 cruises on a few different lines.  I have very seldom seen anything other than cleaning carts blocking hallways.  In fact I cannot remember ever seeing a scooter or wheelchair blocking a hallway.  Perhaps this is prevalent on certain itineraries I haven't been exposed to, which in my case would be Caribbean routes.  IDK.  

I definitely saw it on Royal Caribbean and Disney.   

Not too many children on the ship that I sail, but when I see a scooter in the hall I give security a call and give the cabin number.  I'd do the same for a stroller left in the hall.  Let security deal with the offending parent's arguments.

It's becoming more common because baby strollers have evolved into baby SUVs.  It's probably time for cruise ships to get more explicit about storing strollers within cabins the way they require scooters and mobility devices to be stored inside. 

Edited by BlueRiband
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, BlueRiband said:

Not too many children on the ship that I sail, but when I see a scooter in the hall I give security a call and give the cabin number.  I'd do the same for a stroller left in the hall.  Let security deal with the offending parent's arguments.

It's becoming more common because baby strollers have evolved into baby SUVs.  It's probably time for cruise ships to get more explicit about storing strollers within cabins the way they require scooters and mobility devices to be stored inside. 

I have a friend who cruised often when her little was too young to walk all day.  She brought an umbrella stroller which fit easily into the closet or tucked into a corner.  It was compact enough that she could bring it onto a plane and store it in the overhead as well.  

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

I have a friend who cruised often when her little was too young to walk all day.  She brought an umbrella stroller which fit easily into the closet or tucked into a corner.  It was compact enough that she could bring it onto a plane and store it in the overhead as well.  

When we took our DS, DIL, & DGD on their first 'family cruise' (Independence of the Seas) last year, we bought them an ultra-light umbrella stroller (with a good sun-visor), for their 3-year old. They LOVED it!  On that ship, we saw more than one family trying to navigate the ship's narrow hallways, with larger, jogging-type strollers. Well worth our investment, IMHO!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

So if you haven't seen it, the problem doesn't exist?

Not saying that,just saying that I never saw that.In fact prior to several years ago I never saw a scooter on a cruise ship.

I agree with your statement that scooters and strollers should not be left idle,that is common sense.

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

This is exactly what I was saying to ducklite.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

That's exactly what our daughter did on our granddaughter's first cruise when she was 11 months old.  On her second cruise when she was 3 1/2 years old they purchased an incredible stroller that broke down to a size that fit under the airline seat in front of her!  It was amazing and our daughter had so many people asking about it she could have done a commercial. https://www.amazon.com/Pockit-Terrain-Velvet-Black-Compact/dp/B07S3XDZDV/.  This summer our newest granddaughter, who will be 10 months old, will use it on our family cruise.  It was an investment but our daughter got it on sale and has gotten lots of use out of it and now our other granddaughter will too.

image.png.87b1036b94acf3e0c8bbbffb3ac79b7d.png

• Like 1