Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Off topic slightly but Disney have announced they are closing all theme parks until the end of the month. Not  much fun for those people who have holidays booked to Florida as I doubt it's reason to cancel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had TUI on the phone and to ask did we get the email about our cruise being cancelled.

They said they did not want passengers going to the airport as cruise was cancelled, this was Explorer on the 13th March.

 

They also said that my refund had already gone through and would be with my bank in 5 working days.

 

I was very pleased they have been really quick off the mark with the refunds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good that they were speedy with your refund.

 

Does anyone know when Madeira is expected to re-open to cruise ships, been Googling and can't see a date, perhaps they haven't set one.  I really wanted to do that port

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jono75 said:

Good that they were speedy with your refund.

 

Does anyone know when Madeira is expected to re-open to cruise ships, been Googling and can't see a date, perhaps they haven't set one.  I really wanted to do that port

I can’t see any of the ports that have closed, or close shortly, reopening for several months.  The dates some have given will get extended.  
 

I see Tui/Marella websites don’t even mention the recent cancellations, just the Asia ones.  Are they trying to downplay it or just inept at updating their travel advice section?

Edited by kevinyork
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rkingphoto said:

image.png.840980557d4e584eb3a0a80ce18656db.png

 

Haha, It's not funny but that is, if you know what I mean.

 

Just been on the phone to tui and got an extra 2 weeks for final payment, at the moment a lot could happen in 2 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't take any notice of dates when we think ports will re-open, there is every chance that the closures will be extended, maybe for months more.

 

Take Italy as an example, If their country lock down works they would be stupid to reopen their ports etc which could mean the country being re-infected by travellers from abroad.

 

Another issue. when will COVID-19 become just another virus that the human race has learnt to live with. There is talk of herd immunity,  just how many percent have to acquire immunity? Is it 30%, 50% 75%?

 

What is herd immunity? quote from Wiki

…...is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that occurs when a large percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, thereby providing a measure of protection for individuals who are not immune. In a population in which a large number of individuals are immune, chains of infection are likely to be disrupted, which stops or slows the spread of disease.

 

I think of it like this, if the average rate of transmission is each infected person infects 2 more you have a problem. If there is 75% herd immunity that rate theoretically drops to 0.5 people on average. This should disrupt or eventually curtail the chain of infection.

Edited by davecttr
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it'll be something like this but worse than finishes the human race off, still good news, it's Friday.

 

On the cruise front, I think most people just want Tui to stop hiding behind the FCO and take a pro-active step.  I'd be happy with credit for another holiday in the next few years, at the moment they are making £650 more than the current advertised rates from me (I know that I agreed the price but still make you feel a bit cheated). 

 

The worst of it will be the worry for older customers who will either lose their money or face putting themselves at a higher risk than staying home.  That is for me the worst thing about the Tui response so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jono75 said:

 

 

On the cruise front, I think most people just want Tui to stop hiding behind the FCO and take a pro-active step.  I'd be happy with credit for another holiday in the next few years, at the moment they are making £650 more than the current advertised rates from me (I know that I agreed the price but still make you feel a bit cheated). 

 

 

 

That's exactly how I feel. I normally look forward to my cruises but not the one I'm due to go on in April. If I'm offered a credit for a future cruise I'll grab it with both hands.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jono75 said:

Yeah, it'll be something like this but worse than finishes the human race off, still good news, it's Friday.

 

On the cruise front, I think most people just want Tui to stop hiding behind the FCO and take a pro-active step.  I'd be happy with credit for another holiday in the next few years, at the moment they are making £650 more than the current advertised rates from me (I know that I agreed the price but still make you feel a bit cheated). 

 

The worst of it will be the worry for older customers who will either lose their money or face putting themselves at a higher risk than staying home.  That is for me the worst thing about the Tui response so far.

Yes it is Friday but its also Friday 13th!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with accepting a credit is if Marella subsequently go tits up you lose it.  I can't see any cruises going ahead this summer in the med so I'm going to hold on for the inevitable cancellation and cash refund.  If Marella go tits up before then I have my ATOL certificate.

 

If by some miracle it's all over by May then I'll do my cruise.  But that's now almost certainly wishful thinking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rkingphoto said:

 

Dream and Explorer have had all cruises cancelled for at least the next 2 weeks.

 

Does this mean that those booked for the next 2 weeks get full cash re-imbursement from TUI via their credit card ? Suppose the FCO cave in on say, Monday and issue a statement that ALL people (including under 70s) should not cruise, does this mean that folk booked for weeks 3 to 4, will have to claim via their insurance company?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rkingphoto said:

The problem with accepting a credit is if Marella subsequently go tits up you lose it.  I can't see any cruises going ahead this summer in the med so I'm going to hold on for the inevitable cancellation and cash refund.  If Marella go tits up before then I have my ATOL certificate.

 

If by some miracle it's all over by May then I'll do my cruise.  But that's now almost certainly wishful thinking.

 

That's a good point and I'm not sure where you'd stand. Presumably your insurance would still cover you. What if you immediately booked a future cruise, paying the full balance on booking? Would you be entitled to the same ATOL protection?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, vwgolf said:

 

That's a good point and I'm not sure where you'd stand. Presumably your insurance would still cover you. What if you immediately booked a future cruise, paying the full balance on booking? Would you be entitled to the same ATOL protection?

I don't know for sure but I expect so.  But that does pressure you into rebooking something almost immediatley to get that protection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrSilversurf said:

 

Does this mean that those booked for the next 2 weeks get full cash re-imbursement from TUI via their credit card ? Suppose the FCO cave in on say, Monday and issue a statement that ALL people (including under 70s) should not cruise, does this mean that folk booked for weeks 3 to 4, will have to claim via their insurance company?

 

Dream and Explorer can't cruise because Spain has closed all ports so those people will get refunds.  As for the FCO advice, this depends entirely on your insurance policy.  Mine covers me for FCO advice within 28 days of travel so I can't even think about that yet.  But if you want to go down that route you need to check if you are covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, nancyneptune said:

 

As have Viking River and Ocean Cruises.

 

My cousin and his wife and family were booked to travel soon with P & O . They have been given the option to change to a later date with no penalty or if they chose to travel will receive extra OBC.

 

My brother, his wife and elderly mother-in -law are due to sail on Marella Explorer in April with three ports in Italy.  We all know that all of Italy is now in lock-down but they have heard absolutely nothing at all from Marella informing them of a change of ports. 

They are very worried as the elderly lady has underlying health problems. This was her first cruise and she is feeling very stressed about the whole thing instead of looking forward to it.

 

Marella state on their website they will keep customers informed of any changes. They are not doing that. The lack of information is shocking and they are still advertising this cruise with three ports in Italy in spite of the FCO statement regarding travel to Italy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As I said above my brother, his wife and Mother - in Law are due to cruise in April.  They are due to sail on the re-positioning cruise from Tenerife to Corfu on April 17th.  Itinerary is Tenerife, Gran Canaria, 2 sea days, Gibralter,  at sea, Alicante, Barcelona, Toulon, Corsica, Livorno, Civitavechia, Naples, at sea, Corfu.

 

Now with four Spanish ports and three in Italy where they will be unable to dock it is utterly unbelievable that they have received an email from Marella this morning asking them to book their excursions, extra legroom seats, extra luggage etc. 

This is the only communication that they have received from Marella since the restrictions on travel began. 

My brother is livid !

 

Marella really is the pits ! Why can't they do the same as other cruise lines and cancel some cruises. They obviously don't give a fig for their customers and will hang on till the very last moment before giving them any information regarding their cruises.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the "over 70" clause. We are travelling as a party of 6, 5 of whom are over 70 and one aged 68. That should make things interesting. Anyone know how that will work? (or will they make her travel alone and charge her a single supplement!!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see there is updated travel advice on their website referring to the latest FCO advice. Their website states-

 

For Marella customers due to travel who are aged 70 or over
We are aware of the Government advice not to travel on a cruise if you are aged 70 or over before the end of April. Customers have the option to cancel and receive a full refund or amend to any other TUI holiday currently on sale. Customers who manage to rebook onto an alternative cruise will receive a discount of £200 per adult and £100 per child.

 

So this only refer to those over 70 however the FCO advice says-

 

British nationals aged 70 and over, and those with underlying health conditions such as chronic diseases and diabetes

 

Note the and.......which makes the latter applicable to anyone with chronic conditions.  I have high blood pressure and my partner has diabetes so it would seem we are in this group.

 

Am I looking at this correctly?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have just managed to get through to TA and asked the question regarding a refund if we cancel. They confirmed that we are entitled because of age. I have therefore emailed them and requested cancellation. Devastated not to be going but I think we would have spent two weeks worrying.


Sent from my iPad using Forums

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

I see there is updated travel advice on their website referring to the latest FCO advice. Their website states-

 

For Marella customers due to travel who are aged 70 or over
We are aware of the Government advice not to travel on a cruise if you are aged 70 or over before the end of April. Customers have the option to cancel and receive a full refund or amend to any other TUI holiday currently on sale. Customers who manage to rebook onto an alternative cruise will receive a discount of £200 per adult and £100 per child.

 

So this only refer to those over 70 however the FCO advice says-

 

British nationals aged 70 and over, and those with underlying health conditions such as chronic diseases and diabetes

 

Note the and.......which makes the latter applicable to anyone with chronic conditions.  I have high blood pressure and my partner has diabetes so it would seem we are in this group.

 

Am I looking at this correctly?

 

 

I think you are but only Marella can confirm that, better to contact them.  It's something that conerns us too as my wife has underlying health conditions so if the advice from the FCO is still valid in May it's a route we could explore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

 

British nationals aged 70 and over, and those with underlying health conditions such as chronic diseases and diabetes

 

Note the and.......which makes the latter applicable to anyone with chronic conditions.  I have high blood pressure and my partner has diabetes so it would seem we are in this group.

 

Am I looking at this correctly?

 

 

That's how I read it. Marella are getting there slowly and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this is extended. After all, a good portion of cruise passengers are over 70 and at this rate the ship will be less than half full. How long before economics kick in and say it's cheaper not to set sail?

Edited by vwgolf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Alberto Aliberti, President of Atlas Ocean Voyages
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with RiverCruising, the River Cruise Experts
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...