Coronavirus

5 hours ago, bluewater2111 said:

Still Going ahead in the Caribbean according to the phone call to Marella cruises yesterday, though I find this hard to believe right now, I just wished they  would cancel them I can get my head round it.

Surely it's not even viable they'd be do many over 70s cancelling anyway...

It's still available to buy at about 1400 less than we paid for two weeks!!!

Just seen that Marella are cancelling cruises to Jamaica for a couple of weeks. Guess it will be much longer.

Just now, dronnygirl said:

Just seen that Marella are cancelling cruises to Jamaica for a couple of weeks. Guess it will be much longer.

Was just looking at Discovery 2 position ,,, and it seems to be lingering rather than into Colombia today - so this must be the start ...

Where did you see the cancellation notice?

On 3/13/2020 at 8:08 AM, davecttr said:

What about the cruise industry which concerns us here and specifically Marella? Basically their summer season is shot to hell. Even if they had ships sailing there will be few places left to sail to. TUI is the largest travel operator in the world but their billions in cash reserves are mostly consisting of deposits which will have to be refunded. Will they go bust? I could see Marella closing if it is a bad profit provider for TUI. at least a major reduction in capacity. Maybe the Celebration and Dream will go first, immediately.

A good cruise critic article, lists 35 cruise companies who are modifying their cancellation policies :-

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5151/

Conspicuous by it's absence is TUI Cruises (made up from 50% TUI AG and 50% Royal Caribbean). I suspect Marella don't own the 6 ships but merely act as a management agent for TUI Group. As you say, TUI may be cash strapped and are not in a position to be generous to it's customers.

Taking over Thomas Cook was unfortunate timing. The grounding of it's Boeing Max fleet could not have been foreseen. Under construction are Mein Schiff 7, 8 and 9 at 111,000, 160,000 and 161,000 gr tons and launching in 2023, 4 and 6 respectively.

I suspect, when TUI Group sneezes, Marella catches a cold. Troubles waters ahead, I fear.

17 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

Was just looking at Discovery 2 position ,,, and it seems to be lingering rather than into Colombia today - so this must be the start ...

Where did you see the cancellation notice?

Google Jamaica coronavirus and several newspapers including Manchester Evening News have details.  Seems Jamaica has a really big health problem.

2 hours ago, idh2019 said:

Re Discovery, there was a TUI Dreamliner from Rayong (Thailand) to Manchester yesterday. Currently there is another over Pakistan en route from Rayong to Birmingham. 

Excellent detective work!

Just seen this on the Marella website.

Marella Cruises
We’re sorry to advise that following the changing port restrictions and closures put in place by local authorities, we have taken the difficult decision to cancel all of our upcoming Marella Cruises from Saturday 14th March - Saturday 28th March 2020.”

Good news for those who will get a refund.  

I'm waiting on 10th April cruise now, knowing tui they'll be hanging on until they have to.  All running normal after Spain might lost the port ban there saying on Twitter.  

Jono75 Stop slagging TUI off If you read the latest update on their travel alerts 13.10 today they are dealing with the refunds in chronological order and obviously those passengers/holiday makers flying in the next two weeks are being dealt with first.

The Sultanate of Oman has stopped issuing visitor visas as from now until further notice see Omani police website - try to apply for an e visa and the message comes up

This means if it's still in force the cruise from the 17th April on Discovery will not go ahead, which is pleasing our friends as we can't now go from 10th April as we are 70 and they were joining us the following week

Edited by Vitalsign

1 minute ago, Vitalsign said:

The Sultanate of Oman has stopped issuing visitor visas as from now until further notice see Omani police website - try to apply for an e visa and the message comes up

This means if it's still in force the cruise from the 17th April on Discovery will not go ahead, which is pleasing our friends as we can't now go from 10th April as we are 70

Saw that yesterday as we were due to join on 17th but knowing Tui they will still be telling us as we drive to the airport on the 16th that it’s going ahead as normal!

Thanks for the info, was I correct that your cruise was in July? 

Yes,PC. 25th July, cruise and stay. Usual haunts round the med, including 2 in Italy (!) and some other ports I can’t remember. We would have been staying in Majorca, really nice hotel. Shame!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, Vitalsign said:

Jono75 Stop slagging TUI off If you read the latest update on their travel alerts 13.10 today they are dealing with the refunds in chronological order and obviously those passengers/holiday makers flying in the next two weeks are being dealt with first.

This means if it's still in force the cruise from the 17th April on Discovery will not go ahead, which is pleasing our friends as we can't now go from 10th April as we are 70 and they were joining us the following week

Was he slagging off Tui? If so I must have missed it.

At least they have cancelled a two week chunk of cruises.  Undoubtedly there will be more after that.  Other major cruise lines though announced longer cruise suspension periods and have dealt with the refunds which gives people peace of mind. A few honeymooners leaving tomorrow have been had their honeymoon ruined according to Facebook posts. I bet they could have done with earlier notification. 

Explorer 2 is off loading half it’s passengers tomorrow onto empty planes that are coming to fetch them but those who have only been on 7 nights are staying on.  I would place a bet that this remaining 7 night cruise with a half empty ship are going to struggle to dock anywhere and might even have difficulty offloading their passengers next weekend.  Personally Tui should have arranged to bring everyone home as soon as possible and cancel cruising for at least a month not this piece meal approach that looks unprofessional in comparison to other lines.

7 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

Was he slagging off Tui? If so I must have missed it.

At least they have cancelled a two week chunk of cruises.  Undoubtedly there will be more after that.  Other major cruise lines though announced longer cruise suspension periods and have dealt with the refunds which gives people peace of mind. A few honeymooners leaving tomorrow have been had their honeymoon ruined according to Facebook posts. I bet they could have done with earlier notification. 

Explorer 2 is off loading half it’s passengers tomorrow onto empty planes that are coming to fetch them but those who have only been on 7 nights are staying on.  I would place a bet that this remaining 7 night cruise with a half empty ship are going to struggle to dock anywhere and might even have difficulty offloading their passengers next weekend.  Personally Tui should have arranged to bring everyone home as soon as possible and cancel cruising for at least a month not this piece meal approach that looks unprofessional in comparison to other lines.

Marella have cancelled all cruises until 28th March.

3 minutes ago, kevinyork said:

I know I referred to that matie. 

OK, I'm confused, you also said this:-

Explorer 2 is off loading half it’s passengers tomorrow onto empty planes that are coming to fetch them but those who have only been on 7 nights are staying on.  I would place a bet that this remaining 7 night cruise with a half empty ship are going to struggle to dock anywhere and might even have difficulty offloading their passengers next weekend

8 minutes ago, rkingphoto said:

OK, I'm confused, you also said this:-

Explorer 2 is off loading half it’s passengers tomorrow onto empty planes that are coming to fetch them but those who have only been on 7 nights are staying on.  I would place a bet that this remaining 7 night cruise with a half empty ship are going to struggle to dock anywhere and might even have difficulty offloading their passengers next weekend

The captain onboard announced that a couple of hours ago,  people due to get off tomorrow will fly back but the planes won’t have brought another lot of passenger out from the UK. Those that have only been on for 7 days are staying on.

u

Jono75.   I'm waiting on 10th April cruise now, knowing tui they'll be hanging on until they have to

That is slagging them off in my opinion If he'd read the travel alerts he'd know the procedure It's a month away before his cruise

The other cruise lines don't have flights and cruises included generally so all they have to do is repay for the cancelled cruise TUI have to organise flights as well

At least with a package cruise that is cancelled by TUI you don't have to claim on your travel insurance as they are giving full refunds.

7 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Do you think cruise lines will eventually bow to the inevitable and cancel their entire summer season? I am still getting emails about booking cruises, I don't know why.

Don't think so Dave but they may have that decision taken away from them. 🙄

4 minutes ago, Vitalsign said:

Jono75.   I'm waiting on 10th April cruise now, knowing tui they'll be hanging on until they have to

That is slagging them off in my opinion If he'd read the travel alerts he'd know the procedure It's a month away before his cruise

The other cruise lines don't have flights and cruises included generally so all they have to do is repay for the cancelled cruise TUI have to organise flights as well

At least with a package cruise that is cancelled by TUI you don't have to claim on your travel insurance as they are giving full refunds.

Ok, maybe that might be slagging them off but deservedly so in my opinion.  At least let people know further in advance. Not just two weeks. Their own Facebook page have been posting lovely pictures of cocktails etc all week whilst this has been going on and could have used that outlet to keep people informed and reduce the stress for passengers and uncertainty. As far as I’m aware all cruise lines have been refunding without the need to claim off their travel insurance.