Customs Declaration Form

CATGUY7

After every trip outside the US, we have had to complete a Customs Declaration form upon re-entry.  I don’t think I have imagined it on previous cruises to the Caribbean, and remember keeping up with receipts for ease of reporting.    

Today, after disembarking the Sky, we were not asked to complete the form, nor were we asked any questions about what we purchased.  We visited Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel.  Did I miss something?

As I recall the disembarkation flyer that comes with the luggage tags explains the custom’s regulations & if needing to claim anything how to declare it.  The change was made about a year ago & like cherylandtk haven’t been required to fill out a custom’s declaration on ships or planes.

• Like 1

It certainly is nice not to have to fill out the form.  Since most if not all bring back anything of significant value, I imagine they got tired of processing all that paper.  They still check you over when you exit however even if visually. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

It certainly is nice not to have to fill out the form.  Since most if not all bring back anything of significant value, I imagine they got tired of processing all that paper.  They still check you over when you exit however even if visually. 

Even when they had the form, the people at customs never seemed to look at it anyway. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

When I left the ship between cruises (B2B) last month they did ask me if I had been on a cruise in the last 30 days. ?? 

Sometimes I think they like messing with people to watch body language. They asked us in Port Canaveral one time if we were bringing tacos back into the US. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, phred119s said:

Sometimes I think they like messing with people to watch body language. They asked us in Port Canaveral one time if we were bringing tacos back into the US. 

Yeah they mess with my husband also, he is Hispanic ! They ask him all kinds of questions about where he is from how long has been here blah blah.... They have his passport he is from Puerto Rico!!  They ask how he knows me umm we have been married for almost 40 years! He thinks they are just friendly..lol I don't have the heart to tell him other wise...lol

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

As I recall the disembarkation flyer that comes with the luggage tags explains the custom’s regulations & if needing to claim anything how to declare it.  The change was made about a year ago & like cherylandtk haven’t been required to fill out a custom’s declaration on ships or planes.

Just checked the paperwork again, and yes, there is information to that effect on the back of the disembarkation packet.  Evidently I skipped right over it!

Thank you!

Edited by CATGUY7
Misspelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CATGUY7 said:

After every trip outside the US, we have had to complete a Customs Declaration form upon re-entry.  I don’t think I have imagined it on previous cruises to the Caribbean, and remember keeping up with receipts for ease of reporting.    

Today, after disembarking the Sky, we were not asked to complete the form, nor were we asked any questions about what we purchased.  We visited Grand Cayman, Honduras, Belize and Cozumel.  Did I miss something?

They stop doing the declaration for customs 2 to 3 years ago. That's been the same not just in Fort Lauderdale but also sailing in and out of Seattle or Whittier.

I too just came off the Sky yesterday. I did thoroughly enjoy the new machines that we're not in existence 4 weeks ago when I got off the sky. The little machine where they take a quick picture to verify you and you're on your way. That was the world's quickest customs check I've ever been through. Now if they could do the same thing for international flights and the airport back to the States.

Edited by Jeter02
  • Like 2

When I left the ship between cruises (B2B) last month they did ask me if I had been on a cruise in the last 30 days. ?? 

I think that lowers your exemption amount, but if you didn’t declare anything the first time, seems to make no difference.

i’m not complaining - it was so much easier this time!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeter02 said:

They stop doing the declaration for customs 2 to 3 years ago. That's been the same not just in Fort Lauderdale but also sailing in and out of Seattle or Whittier.

I too just came off the Sky yesterday. I did thoroughly enjoy the new machines that we're not in existence 4 weeks ago when I got off the sky. The little machine where they take a quick picture to verify you and you're on your way. That was the world's quickest customs check I've ever been through. Now if they could do the same thing for international flights and the airport back to the States.

I agree completely!!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CATGUY7 said:

I think that lowers your exemption amount, but if you didn’t declare anything the first time, seems to make no difference.

It could be.

Of course I had a few bottles of liquor in my suitcase between the cruises. 

• Like 1

It could be.

Of course I had a few bottles of liquor in my suitcase between the cruises. 

1 hour ago, CATGUY7 said:

Happy to hear this we never declare anything, gets tiresome filling these forms out or their health forms that people lie on anyway!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, phred119s said:

Actually the duty free custom limits covers a 30 day time period.  For exampe if you took a cruise from 1 Jan - 7 Jan and returned with 1 liter of liquor (the limit for non-St Thomas cruises), then took another cruise from 14 Jan - 21 Jan and returned with another liter of liquor you would owe duty on it.

1 hour ago, Reader0108598 said:

Yeah they mess with my husband also, he is Hispanic ! They ask him all kinds of questions about where he is from how long has been here blah blah.... They have his passport he is from Puerto Rico!!  They ask how he knows me umm we have been married for almost 40 years! He thinks they are just friendly..lol I don't have the heart to tell him other wise...lol

😂 we were flying back in from Europe once and the lady said to my husband, “sir, you don’t sound like you’re from NY.” He was like, “well, I moved away at 6 months old” soooo...