Late September Alaskan Cruise

jamesnnb

We did the closed loop AK cruise out of Seattle the second week of September (last one) a few years ago.  Weather was mostly great so we were lucky as they head into fall.  There were a lot of tourist shops and private tours closed while the tourist shops still open were trying to sell their remaining stock.  The ports were not crowded and there were mostly older pax on the ship.  It all is about what I expected. 

We were there last August (debarking on September 1st). Again, lucked out on the weather which was in the 70's and sunny every day. I think we had rain on one sea day.

As others have said, you're at risk that a lot of private tours and shops have closed for the winter, but those stores that remain open are likely to have some good sales.

We'll be there again in May, so expecting a very different experience!

Last time we went was the last week of August and the weather was wonderful. In the mid 70's. All the shops were open and you could tell it was winding down as far as tourism. 

We are going again this year but the first week of August. Crossing fingers its comfortable weather.

We sailed a B2B in mid-September a few years ago on the Coral’s final cruises of the season.  All cool days with some rain, some overcast and a few with bright sunshine.  Excellent sales at port tourist shops though some sizes lacking.  Took Chilkoot Tours in Skagway (van ride up to Caribou Crossing and Train back to port), Alaska Brewing Company tour in Juneau which was fun, and lots of walking in Ketchikan.  It had a different, more relaxed feeling to us than some earlier Alaska cruises we’ve had.

1 hour ago, jamesnnb said:

Thinking of booking an Alaskan Cruise late in September.  Any comments/tips?

I think late September is too late in the Season.  When we cruised in Alaska, the last cruise was mid September.  Cruise lines try to extend the season, but the risk is bad weather, shops closed, etc,

• Like 1

Unless the price is great I would avoid. I hate the shorter days as you miss not being able to see lots lots of scenery in the longer summer days. Also possibility of rain is much higher and many shops will be closed for the season. I f this is your only trip to Alaska I would look at much earlier months. My sweet spot is mid June for the longest days