Canadians - what are you doing now that we're being advised not to cruise

We're scheduled to leave on the AoS this Saturday (March 14th).  Like the US, the government is suggesting that we don't cruise.  I'm fine with going, but the wife is unsure and another family that we know was going has decided not to.  My biggest concern is being allowed back into Canada at the border without them saying that we need to go into a 14-day quarantine because we were "outside" North America.  Just wondering what other Canadians are doing with cruises upcoming in the next few days for March Break.

Still going, I’m a healthy 52 yo who washes his hands regularly with no underlying health issues. If I was 80 and asthmatic I might be a looking at cancelling. Am excited about the possibility of cheaper cruises in 9 months plus when there is a strong desire to drive business.

1 minute ago, canuckgirl7777 said:

Cancelling. Can’t risk an additional two week quarantine upon return. That part is too risky. On hold to can el our Saturday sailing.

The risk is low and 2 weeks quarantine any employer would understand , but it’s ultimately your peace of mind which is important 

3 minutes ago, CanadaRob said:

The risk is low and 2 weeks quarantine any employer would understand , but it’s ultimately your peace of mind which is important 

My wife's a teacher.  I don't know if she'd get paid if we had to do quarantine because "officially" Canadians have been told not to cruise. 

• Like 3

My parents and I were scheduled to sail on Symphony on Saturday, March 14th. We cancelled today.

We will still fly to FLL to use the flights and stay at a hotel for 5 nights. So we will be away from home for a shorter time than originally planned.

Many non-cruisers are still going to their all-inclusives in Cuba and Mexico. And some people are still going to vacation in Florida.

We’re on the Oasis in Sunday.   As of right now we are going but I’m still somewhat hesitant.  I checked with my

employer today and am fortunately covered with my collective agreement if something were to happen with a quarantine  (knock on wood).  I’ve spent a lot of sleepless hours debating.    

We are still going. We will take necessary precautions..... And extra ones 😉

If we are quarantined it would come under sick time and obviously I would have a doctor's mandate to be off. I talked to my manager today... She said to call her if something happens..... I work in a health field.......

We are 3 retired people in their 60's and are driving from Winnipeg to LA for a cruise at the end of the month. We have every intention of going unless the cruise line cancels. I can't see our government refusing to allow us entry back into our own country. 

• Like 1

As of now we are still planning on going on our September 8 cruise on Explorer of the Seas to Italy and Greek Isles. Thngs may change by then. As it stands now our airfare is cancellable with no charges and a future credit 14 days before we fly on Sept 3. I am hoping RC will keep on top of the situation and extend their Cruise with Confidence policy as the situation develops. Right now that policy only is good until end of July 2020.

My husband, four kids and my parents (68 & 73) were due to sail on the Anthem this coming Sunday and after a lot of consideration, we decided late last night to cancel. 

We did not make this decision lightly as we booked mid-2018 and the kids especially have been very much looking forward to it. Although my parents were in a balcony cabin, given their ages, they are in the more at-risk group. My family of 6 was in two connecting inside cabins. I cannot even fathom being quarantined on board with no access to daylight or fresh air. 

Although I do believe that this situation globally is very serious, and that we in North America are going to see more cases before things turn a corner, I also believe the media is creating a lot of fear. What turned the tide in our thinking was Canada's Chief Medical saying yesterday that although on the weekend they had urged Canadians to think twice about a cruise vacation, they were now say to avoid all cruise travel. That in and of itself is a remarkable statement.

Some people on our cruise's FB page report that their employers have said they would have to self-quarantine for two weeks once back if they elected to go. Similarly, I can see the border agents when trying to enter the country re-directing us to quarantine at CFB Trenton if there is any concern about an outbreak on the ship. All it would take is for one passenger on board to display any flu-like symptoms to have the spectre of a scare.

I realize that is very doomsday but as we weighed the pros/cons, for a 7 day cruise to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas compared to the worst-case scenario it wasn't worth pursuing.

I don't feel this situation is in any way a reflection on the cruise industry and once this outbreak is contained and the numbers start dropping, I have no problem resuming cruising. 

The best news of all - I am now able to start planning a new cruise with the FCC and at this point the few replacements I've priced are much higher than my credit so RCI will be getting more money out of me.

For all of you who are continuing on with your plans, enjoy! 

• Like 2

We were traveling on Empress 18th April and have cancelled the uncertainty of what is going on in the US with the virus and the risk of having to go into quarantine  for 2 weeks is not one we want to take at this time, will reschedule for another cruise once this has all settled down.

We are supposed to fly to San Juan for Apr 2 and be on Freedom Apr 5. Being in our 30s and healthy, we aren't necessarily scared about being on the ship or getting the virus - but what is making us reconsider is how countries are handling the ships (either denying them entry to ports or holding them off shore in quarantine). Both of our employers have the 2 week allowance to work from home so there is flexibility there but being stuck on a ship with uncertain return date makes things infinitely more complicated and difficult to decide. I personally don't see cruising as any more risky than flying in an enclosed airplane either....just hoping all this panic settles down soon.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, gnr25 said:

My parents and I were scheduled to sail on Symphony on Saturday, March 14th. We cancelled today.

We will still fly to FLL to use the flights and stay at a hotel for 5 nights. So we will be away from home for a shorter time than originally planned.

Many non-cruisers are still going to their all-inclusives in Cuba and Mexico. And some people are still going to vacation in Florida.

There is no way I would risk being sick or quarantine in Mexico or Cuba. Thats crazy talk. The issue isn't that you are going to die, its the risk you get sick and how you will be treated!

We are booked for April 25 on Adventure and have no plans to cancel. It's personal preference to cancel or not, and we have decided that we are keeping our booking. I understand the fear associated with it, but I really think it's been blown out of proportion by the media.

• Like 1

Final payment is March 30th for a Euro cruise this June. I suspect we will cancel if things proceed as they are but content to wait until then to see how this plays out over the next 2-3 weeks.  Right now Italy and Spain are the primary countries we would be visiting and they both are getting hit hard. 

I find it amusing that cruises are being singled out as if shutting down would make any difference. 

Magic Kingdom at Disney has 50,000 -60,000 + people per day there. People in very close contact, more so than a cruise, and touching everything. Yet no calls to shut down theme parks. 🧐

• Like 15

13 hours ago, archer_310 said:

My wife's a teacher.  I don't know if she'd get paid if we had to do quarantine because "officially" Canadians have been told not to cruise. 

Sorry about your luck.  However, Canadians were not "TOLD" not to cruise.  It has been suggested..... 

• Like 3

Have an Alaska cruise for May and right now don't plan on cancelling.  

I am going to purchase trip cancellation insurance today for the cost of the flights and hotels though in the event Alaska decides to follow Hawaii and shut their ports to cruises or the White House shuts down cruises. 

29 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

I find it amusing that cruises are being singled out as if shutting down would make any difference. 

Magic Kingdom at Disney has 50,000 -60,000 + people per day there. People in very close contact, more so than a cruise, and touching everything. Yet no calls to shut down theme parks. 🧐

Exactly.  On many multiple day visits to Disney World, over the last 6 years, I have only found one hand sanitizer dispenser on the entire Complex of parks, water parks and hotels.  It was in the line for Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary Resort.  One dispenser.

I bet in one year more Noro leaves Disney, that is ever reported on the ships.  Just a feeling. 

• Like 2