All US to/from continental Europe flights suspended for 30 days

JeremyTexas

41 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On our local news this evening we were told that if we leave Canada, even to go to the US, we will be required to self-isolate for 14 days when we return.

Just saw that.  Holy smokes-no cross border shopping.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

On our local news this evening we were told that if we leave Canada, even to go to the US, we will be required to self-isolate for 14 days when we return.

Did they mention what their expectations were of visitors from the US?

The Clipper ferry is still coming in from Seattle - at least it was yesterday. 

They said numbers on the ferry will be limited to 250. (Again yesterday - may have changed today.)

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, idiebabe said:

Just heard Canadian PM’s Wife tested positive for Covid-19.   

And he is self isolating for 2 weeks. Prayers for them both. 

https://vancouversun.com/news/canada/cp-newsalert-trudeau-goes-into-self-isolation-over-covid-19/wcm/bbe32acf-9095-4249-b924-3bc817f14f2c/

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, colbe said:

Britain is not 'exempt'. It was never part of the ban, as the ban only applies to Schengan Area countries.

AFAIK, UK is still part of the Schengen Area till the end of the year. This is the transition phase.

http://www.theschengenvisa.co.uk/brexit-the-uk-and-the-schengen-area.html

The important point is that UK passport holders will not have immigration stamps on their passports till 2021. Possible for a Brit to travel to Italy, return to the UK, travel to the States and lie about his travel history.

Edited by HappyInVan

3 minutes ago, gkbiiii said:

Italy is under lock down, how is this possible?

Possible to return home?

"Travellers at Milan's main train station had to sign police forms self-certifying that they are travelling for "proven work needs," situations of necessity, health reasons or to return home. They also needed to provide identity documents, contact numbers and an exact reason for travel from the financial hub..."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-korea-italy-1.5490639

41 minutes ago, HappyInVan said:

AFAIK, UK is still part of the Schengen Area till the end of the year. This is the transition phase.

http://www.theschengenvisa.co.uk/brexit-the-uk-and-the-schengen-area.html

The important point is that UK passport holders will not have immigration stamps on their passports till 2021. Possible for a Brit to travel to Italy, return to the UK, travel to the States and lie about his travel history.

UK is not part of Schengen passport-free zone and never was. I think you mean that EU citizens can enter with their national IDs until the end of 2020. Similarly, UK citizens can enter the Schengen zone with ID rather than passport. 

IDs are scanned at the border and there will be passenger lists; these things will not be denied to the US and the Brit you mention might have trouble on US arrival in the event he is allowed to board. 

Edited by Wehwalt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Wehwalt said:

UK is not part of Schengen passport-free zone and never was. I think you mean that EU citizens can enter with their national IDs until the end of 2020. 

I stand corrected. Are the UK passports stamped on entry to the Schengen Area?

4 hours ago, Wehwalt said:

Doubt it but it is the electronic records that matter. 

Ireland (as well as UK and others) is not in the Schengen zone.  We travel to Spain (Schengen Zone) quite often and rarely are our passports scanned.  If we travel to other Schengen zone countries we sometimes use the e-gates and have no idea if entry/exit is recorded on the passport chip.

• Thanks 1

If communication can fail, it will!   When I wrote that folk from the UK and Ireland were "exempt,"  I meant they were not yet a part of the travel ban that has been put on citizens of at least 26 other countries.  I know that American citizens can still try to get back here from other countries.  I just do not understand why UK and Irish citizens can still travel here when the corona virus is spreading in their countries.  Forget the Schengen Zone.  I am referring to the spread of the virus that can happen from any country affected, and that includes the UK and Ireland.  I am still baffled when so many Brits and Irish travel to other countries so much, including those in the Schengen zone.  Remember it can take almost two weeks for the virus to show up in an individual.  Still baffled.