Jewel turned away from Pacific ports

BillDz

1 hour ago, BillDz said:

This is a recent acount from the Jewel. 

Last cruise ship on the ocean?

Thank you for that account

I trust you got home safely

We were on Jewel late December 2019. A lovely ship with a wonderful crew.

Could never have imagined then what would be happening just a few short months later

John 

NCL posted on twitter 2 hours ago, that are still looking for a port - nothing more recent that I have seen

Easy to sit and have a glass of wine - except they booked flights thinking they were getting off in French Polynesia, then Fiji, then New Zealand, then Fiji again. Ports were open and then closed before they could dock

Just now, elwood_98034 said:

We have been on the Jewel. Lovely little ship, but that experience would be incredibly stressful. That's insane.

We took the HNL -  SYD Back in November then in December took to new zealand

They're still at sea.

NCL predicts that they'll disembark in Lautoka, Fiji on Tuesday. 

Good heavens! That's the nightmare scenario: being unable to get back to the US from an unfamiliar foreign port. Or never get into port at all, like the Flying Dutchman.

That's exactly why I'm deeply concerned about the 3-weeks I'm booked to spend on Bliss next month. Not in the Pacific, but still . . . all these ports worldwide are suddenly closing without notice.

• Haha 1

From Twitter
@CruiseNorwegian

(1/2) Norwegian Jewel’s scheduled disembarkation in Papeete, French Polynesia on March 14, 2020 has been canceled and an alternative disembarkation was scheduled to take place in Lautoka, Fiji on Tuesday, March 17, 2020.

(2/2) Due to the port closure in Fiji, however, we must modify her disembarkation plans. We are actively working to find an alternative port and are communicating with guests regularly as we have further information.

2:41 PM EDT

They are a ship without a port, but captain could be right about being the safest place. Has anyone been tested onboard?

There are three ships in quarantine now, non NCL.

Braemar in Bahamas, plus Silver Shadow in Brazil and Silver Explorer in Chile. 

Safe travels and good health to all onboard Jewel.

Oh wow.  What a story. Amazing people. Wish them all the best in their endeavors to get home. That said, can't imagine a better way to get stranded! Keep on keeping on NCL, you rock! And I do realize the end result of this story is much better than some of the others that did have horrible sickness quarantine and isolation to endure. All good thoughts and juju goes out to all that have been affected. 

We're on the ship. All is well, after refuelling in American Samoa tomorrow we're off to Honolulu.

No illness here, just lots of ports closing.

Rob

Edited by Rob_H
Speling
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Rob_H said:

We're on the ship. All is well, after refuelling in American Samoa tomorrow we're off to Honolulu.

That's good to know. Honolulu is not only beautiful, it's a US port, so you'll have a much easier time finding flights home. When do they think you'll get in? It looks like you're maybe 2 or 3 days sailing to Hawaii? Arriving Wednesday?

HNL is where I'd be heading.  Sailed FP with Paul Gauguin who owns the cruising there.  Very remote areas. Even if Papeete open they'd likely have hard time to service ship that big.  Flying home, likely would need charters.  If they go towards HNL could likely transfer some food from POA.

9 hours ago, Rob_H said:

Rob

When you get off the ship in friendly Hawaii, take a deep breath, and try to enjoy a couple of nights before flying back to home sweet home.  Until then, help keep those positive vibes alive on the ship. That is important to keep.

You got this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob_H said:

Rob

How many nights was the original cruise, and now?

1 hour ago, Newleno said:

How many nights was the original cruise, and now?

21 day cruise from Sydney, was originally due to disembark in  Papeete on Friday, the 20th.  So not late yet - might even be early depending on how long it takes to get to Hawaii.

25 minutes ago, julig22 said:

21 day cruise from Sydney, was originally due to disembark in  Papeete on Friday, the 20th.  So not late yet - might even be early depending on how long it takes to get to Hawaii.

oh my so they missed all those great ports of bora bora and moorea, how sad is that, the whole reason to take the trip

17 minutes ago, Newleno said:

oh my so they missed all those great ports of bora bora and moorea, how sad is that, the whole reason to take the trip

They missed quite a number of ports but did manage a few.  I was booked on the next cruise (Papeete to Hawaii).  Think I'll pretend I'm on the cruise and dress for the occasion the next few weeks while I'm staying home and away from the maddness.  Then I'll pack away all those nice bright tank tops and shorts until it's time to reschedule - if I can afford it -I snagged a great BF deal & upgrade before any of the current situation came to light.

1 minute ago, julig22 said:

They missed quite a number of ports but did manage a few.  I was booked on the next cruise (Papeete to Hawaii).  Think I'll pretend I'm on the cruise and dress for the occasion the next few weeks while I'm staying home and away from the maddness.  Then I'll pack away all those nice bright tank tops and shorts until it's time to reschedule - if I can afford it -I snagged a great BF deal & upgrade before any of the current situation came to light.

I took this cruise on this ship hnl to syd, then got on again from akl to syd in nov/dec.

5 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I took this cruise on this ship hnl to syd, then got on again from akl to syd in nov/dec.

I was on the Jewel in Alaska in September, did the Akl to Syd in Dec.  Like the ship, like the itineraries, looking forward to going again, the sooner the better!!