Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

11 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Bacteria can grow easily in the warm water. If you get into a hot tub, never put your head under water.

I learned that lesson early in my cruising career.

53 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Like some on here i have cruised on some British ships, Cunard on qm2 and p&0 uk, arcadia, aurora and oriana. Beware the pools and hot tubs on those, many older Brits still prefer a bath to a shower. Enough said, dont want to end up in the tower of London.

Ah,  But you have to pay extra to use the spa so I think I'm safe! 😂. Off to the brig. 

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm still holding out hope that some semblance of normal cruising will be possible sometime in the future.

To get back to the original post, my prediction is.

mid 2021 Australia only

early 2022 New Zealand

of course on this occasion I won’t mind one bit if I am wrong 

Cheers Carole

35 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

To get back to the original post, my prediction is.

mid 2021 Australia only

early 2022 New Zealand

of course on this occasion I won’t mind one bit if I am wrong 

Cheers Carole

P&O Pacific Explorer is actively advertising round trips from Auckland to the Islands Feb through to April 2021 . Wonder if they will still go ahead .

12 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

P&O Pacific Explorer is actively advertising round trips from Auckland to the Islands Feb through to April 2021 . Wonder if they will still go ahead .

They might if both NZ and the Islands stay Covid-19 free. Trans Tasman cruising will depend on whether Victoria gets the current outbreak under control and whether there are further outbreaks.

1 hour ago, Pushka said:

Ah,  But you have to pay extra to use the spa so I think I'm safe! 😂. Off to the brig. 

I would not bet on the above being 100% pure either, well not on the British ships, I am going to get slammed by the UK cruisers soon.  It was a South African Ship's Doctor I presented to on Arcadia who warned me about not going into the spas and pools if I was prone to ear infections, which I am.

Edited by NSWP

It has been reported on another travel site that Qantas has suspended all international flights until the end of March 2021.

Trying to find details.

I tried a dummy booking on Qantas site to LAX in Feb. The only results were for Cathay Pacific.  Odd.

Edited by Docker123

6 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

It has been reported on another travel site that Qantas has suspended all international flights until the end of March 2021.

Trying to find details.

That's a worry.

44 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Trying to find details.

I tried a dummy booking on Qantas site to LAX in Feb. The only results were for Cathay Pacific.  Odd.

.I think it’s all International except trans Tasman. 
I have heard reports that some Air NZ planes have been  converted to cargo , and a few have accepted urgent travel passengers as well . 

Carnival Corporation's Aida Cruises announced it will resume sailing operations in August 2020. Source

The first cruises will take place with an adjusted passenger capacity and without calling at another port.

The ships are equipped with PCR-test-kits and diagnostic devices for the immediate evaluation of suspected COVID-19 cases, and the medical team on board is trained in the relevant test procedures and treatment methods. Together with the responsible authorities, extensive processes have been developed to facilitate medical care, safe disembarkation, and a safe return home as quickly as possible for patients diagnosed with a confirmed COVID-19 case.

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I wonder how many bookings they'll get?

Don't know, but the Germans like their deck chairs for sunbathing, so there will not be too much deck chair/sun lounger rage, with reduced pax capacity.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Don't know, but the Germans like their deck chairs for sunbathing, so there will not be too much deck chair/sun lounger rage, with reduced pax capacity.

But there will also be a reduced number of sunloungers, spaced appropriately.

45 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Carnival Corporation's Aida Cruises announced it will resume sailing operations in August 2020. Source

The first cruises will take place with an adjusted passenger capacity and without calling at another port.

The ships are equipped with PCR-test-kits and diagnostic devices for the immediate evaluation of suspected COVID-19 cases, and the medical team on board is trained in the relevant test procedures and treatment methods. Together with the responsible authorities, extensive processes have been developed to facilitate medical care, safe disembarkation, and a safe return home as quickly as possible for patients diagnosed with a confirmed COVID-19 case.

You have to be German, Austrian or Swiss to be able to sail on them for cruises to nowhere.

20 hours ago, NSWP said:

Some people use the indoor pools and spas as their daily bath, i got an ear infection from them, ships dr said stay away from ships indoor pools and spas, hot tubs etc.

I got a very nasty ear infection from swimming in a lovely pool at a resort in the Hunter Valley.  Took 2 lots of antibiotics to clear.  Since then, I keep my head out of the water when using cruise ship pools or elsewhere.

50 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Qantas has sent all there Airbus 380's to Arizona and said  they don't expect them to return to service for 3 years. I don't expect them to ever return to service. Most likely will be turned into cargo planes.

Due to configuration, and number of alternatives, its unlikely they'd be turned into cargo planes.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

But there will also be a reduced number of sunloungers, spaced appropriately.

The Germans on Aida will send in the Stormtroopers and sort that problem out, quick smart.  The Aida pax get out at 4am on the decks and reserve their sun loungers with their towels etc.  It is written.

1 hour ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Qantas has sent all there Airbus 380's to Arizona and said  they don't expect them to return to service for 3 years. I don't expect them to ever return to service. Most likely will be turned into cargo planes.

Ye olde Qantas Boeing 747's have finally gone too, I came back from HK on one a couple of years ago, post QM2 voyage.

They have done some air miles those aircraft.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

You have to be German, Austrian or Swiss to be able to sail on them for cruises to nowhere.

I would expect when cruising re-starts in Australia that the first few cruises would be restricted to passengers from OZ and NZ and be cruises to nowhere. This would be to demonstrate that cruising can be undertaken safely. My guess, Summer next year.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I would expect when cruising re-starts in Australia that the first few cruises would be restricted to passengers from OZ and NZ and be cruises to nowhere. This would be to demonstrate that cruising can be undertaken safely. My guess, Summer next year.

They might even want 'Guinea Pigs' to test the waters, so to speak. Gratis? 

6 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Also Princess have a 4 day Auckland,Picton ,Auckland In Feb 21 which I will keep my eye on and combine it with a 12 day land tour North Island.

Cheers Carole

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I think you may well be correct on both counts.