AQ1 on the Edge; best room?

little britain

About to book Edge, and usually we go for rooms on hump or aft. On paper 10222 looked perfect but then I read reviews that it was “funny” and “tunnel like” which I cannot understand.

So what is the best AQ1 room in your opinions?!
TIA 

No info about that specifuc cabin..did you try the search or sticky?

We  moved our booking from first cabin we booked...too close to a cut out next door. Obstructed view

We went to a  lower deck with no.obstruction, away from any cut outs that can block views.. but we may have been AQ2 .  It was bed by  IV .  

I can look it up if you want a rec???

On 3/16/2020 at 9:02 AM, little britain said:

About to book Edge, and usually we go for rooms on hump or aft. On paper 10222 looked perfect but then I read reviews that it was “funny” and “tunnel like” which I cannot understand.

Sorry I missed your earlier post...  With nothing booked until late August, not spending a whole lot of time on Cruise Critic these days as I just can't deal--at least yet--with all the commotion and disruption associated with the world-wide, and generally unanticipated/underestimated. Covid-19 crisis...

Though I know that I did not submit a cabin review, I did occupy Edge 10222 for a week in the Caribbean last March...  That said, I believe that I may have long ago contributed to a post by vtcrusing relative to early deck plan inaccuracies--they may have since been corrected--in which I reported that the cabin was "tunnel like" and perhaps, that I found it "quirky" [rather than "funny"]...

Specific to 10222...

• While not apparent from the Deck Plan when I booked--it looked perfect to me too--the Infinite Veranda is recessed into the ship's superstructure...  One can look straight out with unobstructed view but can't look up, down, or side-to-side as I like to do [particularly when arriving at or departing from a port]; in 10222, all one can see is a few feet of steel...  For me, I felt very disconnected from some of the experiences I most enjoy while cruising...
  • If it matters to you...  The Deck Plan suggested--at least initially--that the bed in 10222 is adjacent to the veranda as is always my preference...  In reality, it is located adjacent to the closet/bath...,

Generic "quirkiness"...

• Edge is a a beautiful ship with a few misses [including the afterthought location of Blu; rather than unobstructed views to the sea as afforded on Solstice and Millennium-Class, exterior views are to open deck/life boats with more interior tables along or proximate to a noisy thoroughfare hallway without solid wall [food/service were excellent]  in common areas [of no implication to me, others include interior walkways that dead-end to stairways so as to present significant problems to those who are physically challenged]...
  • That said---and I thought I knew what to expect and expected it would be fine--I've sailed Edge for a total of 22 days now--I really dislike [in fairness, some love it] the Infinite Veranda concept.  Though interior cabin space is generous [at the expense of a traditional balcony], I concluded that several of the cabin design elements had apparently been created by a team of people who had never cruised [form over function;; the closet/safe are undersized; no clock on the phone or otherwise (handy for time zone changes); no swivel on the TV for direct viewing other than from the bed] and I found the furnishings to have been either misplaced or woefully inadequate...  To me, it too often looked better than it lived...
  • There were a few others quirks--I now realize that they were unique to 10222 four months after Edge started sailing---that I'm sure have since been corrected ...  When I'd return to the cabin after nightly turn down,, the shade would raise the moment I opened the door...  And the retractable desk surface would roll in/out of the adjacent dresser anchoring it with every side-to-side movement of the ship [the legs were not properly aligned to the cabin floor]...  I now understand, despite my mentioning those matters to my steward, that he was--to put it kindly--disingenuous in his assertion that those flubs were common on Edge; I now know that he was a lazy loser and should have either reported those issues to maintenance or suggested I do so ...

I can't say that it's the "best" AquaClass-1 stateroom on Edge but, six weeks after I disembarked last year's Caribbean cruise, I was back aboard--in 9236--for the eastbound Transatlantic to Southampton...  Still not sold on the Infinite Veranda concept,  cabin design or furnishings but no "tunnel" view [much more expansive], none of the cabin specific quirks I encountered in 10222, and an exceptional steward...  No noise from the more proximate elevator lobby and, if it matters, bed is also near the closet/bath...  On a comparative basis, I was much happier with my cabin selection...

I've now sailed Celebrity more than 500 nights in less than eleven years; half those cruises were in AquaClass with the rest in Concierge or,, just twice, Suite-Class [don't need the space, not a fan of Luminae over Blu, I've reached top loyalty]...  I'll never say never again--itinerary rules--but, thus far and for as glad as I was to have experienced the ship, I've not booked Edge-Class in the future [if I do, I'll choose 9236 again (or in the immediate vicinity) based solely on personal experience]...  I spent ten nights on Reflection in late November/early December--in my favorite AquaClass stateroom with oversized conventional balcony on the forward-facing midships slant [on MIllennium-Class, I book one of the center three Deck 11 afts; I have one on Summit in August if we go]--and  was back where I'm happiest when the itinerary and schedule are right... 

Hope this helps...  If you haven't yet experienced Edge, you should...  My comments aside, it's an amazing ship...

Edited by Xport

Well, no wonder the "tunnel" comment--probably mine--was perplexing!  All of the AquaClass cabins on Edge feature an Infinite Veranda...  I booked my Edge trip to the Caribbean on the first day that Edge was open for reservations and called X to confirm the nature of the veranda--not that I was looking for an Infinite Veranda--before doing so...  About three years later, guessing that Celebrity never has clarified that on their website but photos for AquaClass are clear...

Similarly, I am confident that all--or the vast majority--of Concierge Class cabins [surely those that are located on the port or starboard side of the ship] feature Infinite Verandas...

The Infinite Veranda stateroom category on Edge with dining in the Main Dining Rooms--including those smaller staterooms now available to solos--are akin to those classified as Standard Veranda cabins on the Millennium and Solstice-Class ships...

Best I know, the only standard size [non-suite] staterooms that feature a conventional balcony are the few Sunset View cabins on the aft...  It is possible--I just don't know--that some of those aft standard-size cabins are also considered Concierge Class cabins as some of the aft cabins are on Solstice-Class...  Seems to me that @hcat--who posted above--occupied one of those standard size aft cabins [with oversized conventional balcony] and posted,--complete with photos--in the relatively recent past; you might want to search for it if interested...  It is my understanding that those standard-sized aft cabins are considered hot real estate and have tended to sell out quickly...

Finally, you should be aware that the cabins featuring a round window--far forward and far aft on the port and starboard sides of Edge--feature a somewhat different, but no larger, Infinite Veranda...  If potentially interested,, you might want to look for a related post with photos submitted shortly after Edge went into service by @cruisestitch...  Though those cabins were initially classified as "Deluxe Infinite Veranda" staterooms, [and still are on the website], they have since been recharacterized/priced as having a partially obstructed view...  That said, friends had one of those cabins for last year's eastbound Transatlantic and loved it so much that they've reserved the same cabin on Apex next year

As I noted above, Edge is a beautiful ship and to my mind worth experiencing but--if you choose to sail her--you will often hear senior officers, staff and crew remark that "Edge is different"...  That's certainly true but please know that any preconceived notions you may have from having traveled on Millennium and/or Solstice-Class are not necessarily applicable on Edge-Class...  

Don;t know how I did it but apologies for the duplicate post...

-----

Well, no wonder the "tunnel" comment--probably mine--was perplexing!  All of the AquaClass cabins on Edge feature an Infinite Veranda...  I booked my Edge trip to the Caribbean on the first day that Edge was open for reservations and called X to confirm the nature of the veranda--not that I was looking for an Infinite Veranda--before doing so...  About three years later, guessing that Celebrity never has clarified that on their website but photos for AquaClass are clear...

Similarly, I am confident that all--or the vast majority--of Concierge Class cabins [surely those that are located on the port or starboard side of the ship] feature Infinite Verandas...

The Infinite Veranda stateroom category on Edge with dining in the Main Dining Rooms--including those smaller staterooms now available to solos--are akin to those classified as Standard Veranda cabins on the Millennium and Solstice-Class ships...

Best I know, the only standard size [non-suite] staterooms that feature a conventional balcony are the few Sunset View cabins on the aft...  It is possible--I just don't know--that some of those aft standard-size cabins are also considered Concierge Class cabins as some of the aft cabins are on Solstice-Class...  Seems to me that @hcat--who posted above--occupied one of those standard size aft cabins [with oversized conventional balcony] and posted,--complete with photos--in the relatively recent past; you might want to search for it if interested...  It is my understanding that those standard-sized aft cabins are considered hot real estate and have tended to sell out quickly...

Finally, you should be aware that the cabins featuring a round window--far forward and far aft on the port and starboard sides of Edge--feature a somewhat different, but no larger, Infinite Veranda...  If potentially interested,, you might want to look for a related post with photos submitted shortly after Edge went into service by @cruisestitch...  Though those cabins were initially classified as "Deluxe Infinite Veranda" staterooms, [and still are on the website], they have since been recharacterized/priced as having a partially obstructed view...  That said, friends had one of those cabins for last year's eastbound Transatlantic and loved it so much that they've reserved the same cabin on Apex next year

As I noted above, Edge is a beautiful ship and to my mind worth experiencing but--if you choose to sail her--you will often hear senior officers, staff and crew remark that "Edge is different"...  That's certainly true but please know that any preconceived notions you may have from having traveled on Millennium and/or Solstice-Class are not necessarily applicable on Edge-Class...  

Edited by Xport

4 hours ago, little britain said:

@Xport  thanks for your reply!   Just what I wanted.
But wait.... I’m confused... you say that AQ have IV?  I thought only IV have IVs!! 

I’ll see if 9236 is free on our cruise. 
LB 

Most cabins on the EDGE  have  an  infinite Veranda..IV ( non outdoor balcony)

They include reg class, AQ, Concierge class. ( not sure abt any suites)

Sunset Veranda..(non AQ Class)  have a large outdoor balc( non IV)

and larger space in the cabin. 

There are some hull type balconies and other configuration. You can  go to a website that shows each type to see how they look ,their layouts and deck plans

But  as to you inquiry....ALL AQ class have the IV...they have dining in BLU  and include acces to the thermal suites.

I think you made a GREAT choice!

We  sailed on EDGE in AQ class ..7 days, awhile ago,  with BLU ( Good food  and service but awful to no view, bad acoustics , entry lines and slow kitchen some nights),  and  the Thermal suite (  it was lovely, but  we were busy  so we hardly used it)

Also sailed  EDGE  last Nov, 10 days in an SV...loved it..large rm, great balc,  great views , long walk to elevator but doable  Loved  the 4 mdrs..best for us  were the smaller ones..Tuscan and Cyprus..  Suggest you pre reserve.

Will post  links later to my reviews..they are of course dated by now and meander quite a bit,  but do have photos of the cabins..

• Thanks 1

All aq and cc cabins are infinite veranda’s.  Only non suite balcony cabins without infinite verandas are aft suites a a few cove type balconies in the front of the ship. 

IMO the infinite balconies aren’t good.  I would rather book an aft balcony, or if you can swing it an S1 or S2.  IMO blu isn’t great either.

On 3/20/2020 at 3:20 PM, little britain said:

Change that!
Swapped to SV and saved £800pp so we can do a lot of specialty restaurants with that saving! 
Thanks 🙏  for your comments and help 

Good choice!

We love Aqua Class and heave become Aqua addicts - with the exception of Edge.
The reason is simple: our reason for AQ is BLU - because it is smaller and more quiet than the large MDRs on the other ships.

On Edge, however, we enjoyed the 4 dining rooms so much that we do not feel the need to pay extra for AQ.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/20/2020 at 4:46 PM, hcat said:

They booked an SV  Sunset Veranda

Just booked #9236 and found this thread....did you really dislike BLU? DH will be upset with me if it is not a good dining experience as I always thought BLU was...always sailed S class , Suite or Concierge....never Aqua so thought we'd try it this time.

52 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Just booked #9236 and found this thread....did you really dislike BLU? DH will be upset with me if it is not a good dining experience as I always thought BLU was...always sailed S class , Suite or Concierge....never Aqua so thought we'd try it this time.

The first couple of times we had good experiences, but after that not impressed. So you might like the first time.  My biggest objections were that table for twos were row seating and there was just a few inches separating tables. So not private at all.  The food was fair.  We decided to book a balcony the next cruise with a much better location, not under the gym or pool, they take an all inclusive sp dining package.  This came out cheaper.  We also didn’t use the spa aqua features

Relating to post 5 

We also had cabin 10222, and the bed is by the bath.  We also like having the bed by the balcony and that is what the deck plan indicated and that is why we chose it.    It actually worked out better on the Edge with the infinite veranda to have the bed by the bath so by the mistake we “lucked” out.  

Didn't have have any problems with the cabin.  

Is it the best?   I don’t know.

Happy crusing🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

BD3CC1B0-E2CA-483C-9FDE-F0C937337E76.jpeg

20774053-74DD-4632-ADBF-6BB3E894E681.jpeg