for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

On 2/26/2021 at 7:03 PM, PurpleHays said:

I try to eat most food as close to natural as I can, but I do eat one serving of sugar free candy a day. Helps keep the cravings down. Hubby does most of the cooking, but he's not as motivated as I am (though he did tell me my @$$ was looking good in my jeans this morning). He buys and eats/drinks more convenience foods than I do.

@Lois RThe only protein bars I eat are Clif bars and only once or twice a week. I try to stick to low carb with tiny cheats like the Sargento balanced break snacks. They have cheese, nuts, and different sweets like banana chips, raisins, or chocolate chips. Small cheats. I find the more protein I eat, the less junk food I crave.

If you can find them, try Bobo's bars.  Like most protein bars, not "healthy".  But they are more oatmeal bar than like Clif bars. Different flavors.  I always keep some at home if I have no time to make a meal.  They are also a staple for me on road trips.  It takes a long time for me to eat a bar - I can wolf down a Clif bar pretty fast.  

Good morning🙂.....I have been to Publix and found a brand called "SIMPLE MILLS"........

Have any of you heard of it? They make multiple items (researched on line) and they have

what would be in the "bar" category several choices.  It doesn't say protein bar on the box

but they are in that section in the store.   Anyway, they have very few ingredients (much less

than all the popular brands) and still low carbs and lower in sugar too.  I bought a box of the

peanut butter and tried one.  DELICIOUS🙂....and to be honest, when you see what is in this

item, you can understand every ingredient and there are only about 10 items on the side of

the box, compared to others, which list consists (usually) of tons of things that are artificial.

If any of you are interested here is a link to their website:

SimpleMills - Home

Actually, they use Almond Flour in their stuff! If you look under "Products"

you can see the "soft peanut butter bar" but it actually has a bit of crunchy

bits of peanuts....but the bar base is soft.  I think I found a new brand and 

will have to try some of their other items!

I want to make a correction.......this bar was in the "breakfast bar" section....

not the "protein bar" section......Publix has an aisle for the regular protein bars.

7 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I love them, they give me the taste

Are they the mini cones from Trader Joe's???  I haven't done much ice cream things from TJ's.  

Lois - what recipe did you use for your almond flour muffins?  Did you just do a straight-up substitute?  Last year, when we could do our weekend wine & cheese hour at the condos, we would put in a box of different Simple Mills crackers with the others just for a change.  We also had some different rice crackers from CrunchMaster that were yummy.  

Tonight - Stanley visits Bologna!!!  meat, cheese, balsamic...  One of the places I want to go and go on a food tour.  Wonder if he also gets a little pasta with classic Bolognese sauce - with what meat?  Beef, boar, bunny?  I've had all 3 at different times depending on where I was.    

Hi Kat, this is the recipe:

https://www.veggiebalance.com/gluten-free-blueberry-muffins-with-almond-flour/

When you say a straight up substitute? Not sure what you mean.   I used almond flour

and I already had the other ingredients in the house.  Eggs, honey, vanilla, olive oil, apple

cider vinegar, salt.  It definitely has a different texture than regular flour but I they still taste

good to me😃...(not as fluffy but still moist). Oh, and Fresh blueberries of course!

Melody mentioned the protein shakes, I put them in a blender with ice, & it's like having a milkshake, great meal substitute, or even a snack that's low in calories & carbs!

& Christy, so sorry to hear about your fall, & hope you get healed up & out there hiking asap

Kat, I'm looking forward to the next episode!  & the TJ mini cones, I can't buy them because I will eat the entire box in 2 days :(

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Tonight - Stanley visits Bologna!!!  meat, cheese, balsamic...  One of the places I want to go and go on a food tour.  Wonder if he also gets a little pasta with classic Bolognese sauce - with what meat?  Beef, boar, bunny?  I've had all 3 at different times depending on where I was.    

Mmmm, can't wait. I always heard the "traditional" bolognese is a mix of beef and pork. Wild boar (cinghiale) is more of a Tuscan thing. But who knows -- Stanley will set us straight, hopefully.

@cruise kitty Thanks for the links, I think the first one may be about my speed right now. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

The mini cones I get are Blue Bell or Blue Bunny. 

christy hope you’re recovering well from your fall

My very best friend’s husband passed away very unexpectedly yesterday from a heart attack. I’m likely flying to Maine for a week after my second vaccine to help her with paperwork etc. huge shock. She had to do CPR for 30 minutes before the paramedics arrived.  Their 47th anniversary is March 2 😢. Melody

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey Christy, you fell? Oh my, hope you are ok!!!!

4 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

& Christy, so sorry to hear about your fall, & hope you get healed up & out there hiking asap

Yeah, I skidded off the second to last step and went down hard. I have a lovely bruise and almost a week later, I'm still pretty sore. Work was a challenge Friday--and I slept well over 10 hours Friday night. I rested yesterday and spent today doing my usual laundry, plus cutting and assembling invitations and cutting iron ons on my Cricut machine. Hubby is driving me crazy to put a peace sign on his jacket. Danged hippy.

Thanks for the well wishes!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

The mini cones I get are Blue Bell or Blue Bunny. 

christy hope you’re recovering well from your fall

My very best friend’s husband passed away very unexpectedly yesterday from a heart attack. I’m likely flying to Maine for a week after my second vaccine to help her with paperwork etc. huge shock. She had to do CPR for 30 minutes before the paramedics arrived.  Their 47th anniversary is March 2 😢. Melody

Melody, I'm so sorry :classic_sad:  that's a terrible loss for your friend, & I'm sure for you & your husband as well.   So glad she has you to help & that your vaccine will allow you to go with peace of mind...  hugs to you XXX

• Like 1

Melody, sending you and your friend my heartfelt condolences......so sorry for your loss.☹️

I watched the Stanley in Bologna episode.........the cheeses and balsamic looked so good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Mmmm, can't wait. I always heard the "traditional" bolognese is a mix of beef and pork. Wild boar (cinghiale) is more of a Tuscan thing. But who knows -- Stanley will set us straight, hopefully.

And now we know....it's veal and bacon!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, alidor said:

What was the name of the pasta that was basically pasta, cheese and pepper?  I remember it was 70% pecorino and 30% Parmesan...

Wasn't that recipe in the Rome episode? So many choices, so little time.......LOL I remember

when the guy told Stanley 70/30......wasn't that Spaghetti? Or maybe I am confused.

OMG....I just saw the stupidest thing on the news.......you can't make this stuff up. There was a 

plastic surgeon in Sacramento, CAL who was in the operating room.....he told a judge 

via zoom he could go through a trial WHILE doing the operation👎......he was on a virtual call

for a traffic ticket!  The Judge said, NO..he was not going to do this while the Dr was doing

surgery..........at least the Judge did the right thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Veal & bacon for the Bolognese!!  Never had it that way.  But, then, I've never been to that part of Italy.

When they were having a little meal at Massimo Butturo's place at the end, I noticed a tall little box with the vinegar on the table.  I recognized it right away - one of his balsamics!!  I actually have one of them - $44 worth of yumminess.  If nothing else, Salt Lake City has 2 excellent places to get really exceptional vinegars, oils, meats and cheeses.  I did a tasting at one of them and fell in love with the black cherry balsamic.  In honor of the show last night, I made microwaved broccoli with balsamic glaze all over it, served with a glass of the Sauvignon Blanc I opened the other day.  A meal in 3 minutes - loved it!

Alidor - be sure to save some of the pasta water when you go to make the cacio e pepe - it helps to keep it from getting gummy or dry.

Lois - for "straight up" I meant did you substitute the almond flour cup-for-cup for regular flour?  I didn't see that you had a recipe.  It's easy to make but easy to mess up, if you know what I mean.

Next week, it's Milan and risotto!!!!  I love making risotto when my friend with Celiac visits.  I turned her on to risotto when we did our trip to Spain, Italy, and France.  So many things you can do with it.  

Got "mansplained" by a guest when his wifi stopped working.  I couldn't bear to tell him that I worked for decades as an Internet software engineer and tester and I know what I'm doing.   He didn't know what he was talking about, anyway, and I didn't have the heart to tell him that.   Highlight of my day, so far (2 hours in).  My one check in got here just as I did, and my two departures left 30 minutes later.  So, I get to twiddle my thumbs for 6 more hours.  Maybe inspect the condo that is coming in tomorrow if Housekeeping gets it cleaned.  It's a beautiful day up here today - I sooo want to just go and sit out in the sun, even if it's only 27 degrees.  

• Like 1

Same friend that lost her husband on Saturday, her youngest sister passed away today. She’s asked me to wait on coming until the entire family leaves...she wants me where we can just be. I’m good with that. I told her I’d bring the Crown Royal. Melody

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Same friend that lost her husband on Saturday, her youngest sister passed away today. She’s asked me to wait on coming until the entire family leaves...she wants me where we can just be. I’m good with that. I told her I’d bring the Crown Royal. Melody

Wow, very sorry to hear this news -- that is a lot to bear. She is lucky to have a good friend to help her get through this.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Kat, did you see I posted the link for that recipe? 

And next week's Episode does look DELICIOUS😃

Yes, I saw it.  I'll have to try it in a few weeks when I'm in "semi-retired" mode (we end the season April 11).