Our cruise isn't happening :(

pmck

Just got the email last night that our 5/10/20 Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan has been cancelled. Can't say that I'm surprised, but we still are so sad! Things are pretty surreal and scary here in NJ.  Our state with the most people per square foot, has been hit hard.  We are second to NY at this time in cases.  We have been working from home this week, while our daughter that works in NYC just started her 3rd week working from home.  Now, we try to reschedule this cruise to a better date.  We have only ever cruised in the spring, with the exception of June once and November once. Trying to avoid hurricane season is always in the back of our minds.  Any suggestions on good times, good ports?  We have done Eastern and Western and Southern Caribbean out of Florida, Galveston and Puerto Rico.  I have done Bermuda out of NYC, but my husband doesn't want to sail from NY or Bayonne.  Also, wondering how long this pandemic will be around.  Stay home and stay safe everyone!!

I'd like a panama cruise. Unfortunately saw there was one right before my 9 day on jewel after I booked or I might have gone for it.

That's the last one on my bucket list. I've done calif to hawaii and alaska both good. But not a partial Panama..

If you are just wanting wish list, that's mine

27 minutes ago, pmck said:

Just got the email last night that our 5/10/20 Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan has been cancelled. Can't say that I'm surprised, but we still are so sad! Things are pretty surreal and scary here in NJ.  Our state with the most people per square foot, has been hit hard.  We are second to NY at this time in cases.  We have been working from home this week, while our daughter that works in NYC just started her 3rd week working from home.  Now, we try to reschedule this cruise to a better date.  We have only ever cruised in the spring, with the exception of June once and November once. Trying to avoid hurricane season is always in the back of our minds.  Any suggestions on good times, good ports?  We have done Eastern and Western and Southern Caribbean out of Florida, Galveston and Puerto Rico.  I have done Bermuda out of NYC, but my husband doesn't want to sail from NY or Bayonne.  Also, wondering how long this pandemic will be around.  Stay home and stay safe everyone!!

See if the same cruise is offered for the same time next year and book the cruise for that time frame. You were given the choice of 125% FCC (which has to be used NLT 31 December 2021) or 100% cash refund. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Can you kindly share the reason why your husband doesn't like sailing out of Bayonne?

(Curious because we'll be cruising out of Bayonne (maybe), for the first time, at the end of the year.) Thanks.

It costs a lot to get to the port etc from NY City.  Other than that it is really cool sail past the Statue of Liberty and the NY skyline. Sailing under the bridge is nice.  Can’t think of too many other negatives.

jc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xpcdoojk said:

It costs a lot to get to the port etc from NY City.  Other than that it is really cool sail past the Statue of Liberty and the NY skyline. Sailing under the bridge is nice.  Can’t think of too many other negatives.

Sorry to say but you're past the Statue and a lot of the skyline.

jc

13 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

Nov is a nice time to cruise. Hurricane season is over. It is also a cheaper time of year. You could always leave from Baltimore. And to make sure it's warm water hit western or southern routes. 

We have done November once, maybe we will check it out for later this year..

8 hours ago, mets123 said:

yes, it is pretty.. have sailed under those bridges many times, going on Seastreak to Yankee games (when they used to do that).  My husband likes to start vacation in a warmer climate, although I am working on him to reconsider.  It would be a lot easier to drive to the port than to fly and have to stay at hotels! My very first cruise many years ago, was to Bermuda from NYC.  I remember that it was awesome.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Can you kindly share the reason why your husband doesn't like sailing out of Bayonne?

(Curious because we'll be cruising out of Bayonne (maybe), for the first time, at the end of the year.) Thanks.

Mainly because he likes to leave from a warmer climate right from the get-go!  Also, the waters of the North Atlantic can be a little rougher, but the captains usually know how to navigate that.  I have many friends that have sailed out of Bayonne and they love it.  My very first cruise was to Bermuda many years ago and I don't remember an issues either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmck said:

Mainly because he likes to leave from a warmer climate right from the get-go!  Also, the waters of the North Atlantic can be a little rougher, but the captains usually know how to navigate that.  I have many friends that have sailed out of Bayonne and they love it.  My very first cruise was to Bermuda many years ago and I don't remember an issues either.

It will be warm... end of may...