What are the ships doing?

BTromboneFrack

I went on the Marine Traffic Live website to see where all the Carnival ships were and there are a bunch that are just wandering out at sea at a very slow pace.   I thought most of them would have docked to save fuel.   I also thought maybe it was a glitch, but the ships are showing up in significantly different places from day to day.   Any idea what is going on?

There are not enough berths in the US for all the cruise ships to be docked at the same time.  Right now there are five ships docked in Port Canaveral and I can see two Disney ships (without getting up off my sofa) at anchor directly behind where we live.  Carnival Ecstasy is also out there somewhere but too far south for us to see.  The ships have been rotating in and out of port as needed.  But there have been times when there have been four or five ships at anchor behind us and only one or two docked in port.

They are drifting or at anchor and intermittently coming in to offload and provision/fuel as needed. They are trying to save as much fuel as possible, trying to go on one engine if possible. Ships with RO plants better on the water situation. Grey water, sludge and tanks and dock space determine if when they come in. Some Crew is working doing wet dock type stuff, lots of painting, windows, floors etc... generally costs more to sit at a dock... 

Carnival Sunshine is docked at the commercial docks here in Charleston. I would assume that even if they don’t have regular passenger cruises happening they would still need to run the engines, perform routine maintenance and practice safety drills, both at dock and while underway.

8 hours ago, poz222 said:

They are drifting or at anchor and intermittently coming in to offload and provision/fuel as needed. They are trying to save as much fuel as possible, trying to go on one engine if possible. Ships with RO plants better on the water situation. Grey water, sludge and tanks and dock space determine if when they come in. Some Crew is working doing wet dock type stuff, lots of painting, windows, floors etc... generally costs more to sit at a dock... 

Oh good.  They are painting.  Maybe that will quiet the critics about any rust they see on the ships and complain about it in reviews.  Obviously these people don't understand the constant abuse ALL ships get from sea water on them 100% of the time .

1 minute ago, quattrohead said:

It's so quiet there now you can hear the birds....and a rooster lol

There is a list of what is at dock and at anchorage.

I heard the rooster a few times. 🙂

My colleague heard it and asked what was that, I yelled out a Rooster in Miami.

Huh......

In Jacksonville, the Escatasy has been basically camping out at it cruise terminal.  Three NCL ship have been utilizing the three cargo terminals.  They a have periodically been rotating in and out.  I imagine due to actual cargo ships need to utilize the docks based on prior contracts and perhaps the need to make water.

I guess the additional cruise ship docking fees will be applied to deepening the channel to 47 feet.  Being partially facetious. 

There are more cruise ships than available dock space at existing cruise terminal docks. 

There is a whole gaggle of cruise ships around the Stirrup Caye's.

Most are anchored.  Some of the RCCL/Celebrity ships may be docking at their private island to give their crew some shore time.  

Edited by gatour