Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Just now, Sea Dog said:

I use our third car garage for storage especially all my Christmas decorations.

I store everything and anything into the basement.   Our basement is 1500 sq' and 2/3rds of it is finished and the other part is a workshop/workbench/tools, etc. and an area with built in shelves for storage of holiday decorations, etc., the washer/dryer area and our furnace and hot water heater.   

We had a wet basement system installed before we finished the basement and 2 have sump pumps with battery back up systems.      I am not even sure that we have anything in the attic, will have to look when we get back or home (or wait until it's not too hot to go up there).  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

thst sounds like a very good refreshing cocktail.

here is a basic recipe that I’ve used before.

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/simple-syrup/

You can buy versions of simple syrup. I like a Demerara  syrup.

https://www.amazon.com/RAFT-Demerara-Syrup-Cocktails-Sodas/dp/B07WXHHV8S/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=3CSUBK8H6HZT5&keywords=demura+simple+syrup&qid=1655249354&sprefix=demura+%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-4

I just use two cups of sugar to two cups of water when making Limoncello. Bring to rolling boil, then cool

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I store everything and anything into the basement.   Our basement is 1500 sq' and 2/3rds of it is finished and the other part is a workshop/workbench/tools, etc. and an area with built in shelves for storage of holiday decorations, etc., the washer/dryer area and our furnace and hot water heater.   

We had a wet basement system installed before we finished the basement and 2 have sump pumps with battery back up systems.      I am not even sure that we have anything in the attic, will have to look when we get back or home (or wait until it's not too hot to go up there).  

Not a fan of basement laundries. 

First home had one. Never again

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Water was included in your taxes?

In my township we have a water/sewer bill that is issued every quarter.      Recently they changed the calculation for the sewage part of the bill to be more in line with the amount of water you use per quarter.      there are a lot of unhappy pool owners billed for sewage because they filled their pool.

We then have annual school tax bill due by August 31st  (this is the largest bill of all)

We then have County/Township/Trash tax due by April 30st

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

Not a fan of basement laundries. 

First home had one. Never again

I know I hear that a lot.    Some of my neighbors have moved their laundry upstairs but for now mine is in the basement and works for me.    I tend to forget I was doing laundry (out of sight out of mind) and I don't always hear the units beep when done.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I use our third car garage for storage especially all my Christmas decorations.

Mine is used for our boat, so no storage there.  Although we did store the kids Christmas presents in the boat when they were small.  They never found that hiding spot. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Any measurements of how much of each or just trial and error of each ?

I use a typical rock glass, 3 cubes, free pour vodka to the point where the glass looks about a quarter full, free pour Kraken in the amount that I have learned provides the desired taste. Glass is a little less than half full at this point, fill the glass with juice and mix. I do not like it with a Kraken floater. Mixing is essential for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

How do you make simple syrup?

I do 2 ways.    

easiest way is 1 cup of sugar to 1 cup of water in large microwaveable bowl.    Cook for 2 minutes, stir then cook for another 2 minutes then cool off and put in fridge for later use.

or you can do same 1 cup of sugar / 1 cup of water stove top and simmer until sugar is melted and solution is clear liquid.    Then cool off and put in fridge.      

I have heard it stays good for up to 4 weeks but my solutions are gone in a matter of days in my house.   

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

My so had a leaky toilet twice. Huge bill. Got it fixed and water authority gave me some credit. Got lucky

19 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Same here we had a leaky toilet this winter and our local water authority gave us a credit too.     

You all know though when the toilet is leaking like that, you can either take the lid off and adjust the flapper to seal properly or reach down behind the toilet and turn off the cold water valve  off until either yourself or a plumber comes to fix it?

When it's leaking, I mean really you should hear it running and running long before you have to ask the water company for some credit?

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I use a typical rock glass, 3 cubes, free pour vodka to the point where the glass looks about a quarter full, free pour Kraken in the amount that I have learned provides the desired taste. Glass is a little less than half full at this point, fill the glass with juice and mix. I do not like it with a Kraken floater. Mixing is essential for me.

I love recipes like this.    pretty much how we do it in our house.  Rarely use a shot glass to make a drink.    Just eye ball it based on the glass being used at the time.  

I do get confused when I make pitchers of drink so we have a rule "drink it before you drink it"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Last night they were chasing fireflies. I have to get that on camera. It's hilarious. I never laughed so hard.

They are almost 7 months old now. 

They are not so adorable when they misbehave.

The videos of Charlie and Lizzie are a joy to watch.  The video of them chasing the butterflies was adorable

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We lived in apartments and did not pay realty taxes .

Well then it is no wonder you didn't pay for water. It isn't typical for each apartment in a building to have its own meter so water was included in your rent and the land lord payed the water bill.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

In my township we have a water/sewer bill that is issued every quarter.      Recently they changed the calculation for the sewage part of the bill to be more in line with the amount of water you use per quarter.      there are a lot of unhappy pool owners billed for sewage because they filled their pool.

We then have annual school tax bill due by August 31st  (this is the largest bill of all)

We then have County/Township/Trash tax due by April 30st

They tried to do that sewage thing here too. People were up in arms about it because of pools, lawn irrigation systems, etc. and it got shot down. Water is metered, sewer is flat fee.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Then it was included in your rent

Nope .The rent that my parents paid in the 40’s and 50’s was solely for the apartments as was the rent that I paid in the 60’s and 70’s when I lived in 2 family homes.It was only when I bought a house in 1983 that I began to receive water bills

• Like 1

Speaking of storage, not only do the two of us live in a five bedroom home, we also have two other houses on the property, a tool shed and a large old dairy barn.  Yes, if you have the space, you will fill it.  My husband looks at it as no big deal…we have the room.  I have nightmares thinking about who’s going to have to deal with all the crap one day…

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Nope .The rent that my parents paid in the 40’s and 50’s was solely for the apartments as was the rent that I paid in the 60’s and 70’s when I lived in 2 family homes.It was only when I bought a house in 1983 that I began to receive water bills

Someone was paying for the water. This is not a difficult concept. Your rent paid for the apartment and whatever else the landlord included in the rent....like water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

We had very little rain this morning and cleared up nice this afternoon.   Tomorrow I have to do some weeding of beds

20220614_174331.thumb.jpg.cfd0b6820332a7bd5aa3f5ace0c24399.jpg20220614_174252.thumb.jpg.376397438377537d8c78248e7e026835.jpg

Beautiful home, Debbie!

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Did I ever show you the painting we had done on the wall in stairwell leading to rooftop deck

I cannot fit in one picture.20220614_174517.thumb.jpg.caf89c8adcfc57d24aea4b39c2bced0f.jpg

This is left side of the wall.  I goofed by uploading right side first

20220614_174523.thumb.jpg.41426934e07eac70bf8c6f0ffa6905b9.jpg

Love the painting on your shore home!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Well then it is no wonder you didn't pay for water. It isn't typical for each apartment in a building to have its own meter so water was included in your rent and the land lord payed the water bill.

In the 40’s ,50’s and 60’s when I was living in an apartment building the lease stipulated that the rent was for the apartment.I do not believe that residents were charged for water.From 1967 to 1983 I was living in two family houses and again the leases stipulated paying for the rooms.When we bought our house in Feb.1983 we began receiving water bills .When we moved into the condo we once again began receiving water bills.

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

The garden survived just  fine 🙂

20220614_144518.thumb.jpg.1032c72844c486ff120cf167da2595e1.jpg

20220614_144530.thumb.jpg.71a80d06c26fae04d7c4d783d4bbdd90.jpg

20220614_144555.thumb.jpg.bcef461fea722fda5578a87e42cc2bad.jpg

20220614_144606.thumb.jpg.282de4474ae284313586920ea4f193e4.jpg

Your garden looks great!     What do you have planted on the rightside of this photo?

Some of my sunflowers were starting to how sign of blooming the morning we left.   Hopefully they will be in full bloom by the time we get home.    

• Thanks 1