Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

19 hours ago, davekathy said:

When I turned in my retirement papers and when everyone found out that I decided to retire they all were excited about throwing my a great retirement party. I must say, one of the best ones I've ever attended. 😉 When I gave my retirement spiel I started out by saying, "judging from the turnout, I'm thinking most of you are here just to ensure I'm actually and finally leaving".  😀

So funny.  My retirement party was a surprise.  My boss called me one morning a week before I left to tell me one of my best customers was mad at me and the two of them needed to see me right now!!  Ugg...I was not happy about it since it was messing up my schedule for the day. 

I get there, and they usher me into one of the conference rooms, and there they all were.  All my co-workers, a big bunch of roses, cake, party stuff..etc.    Yeah, I almost cried right then, and of course gave my customer a big hug and wanted to smack my boss.  😄 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, TravelGirlinDallas said:

I don’t have many good pics yet because she still hides a lot. The rescue called her “Eunice”, but we will be choosing another name! 😂 Have not decided yet, though. They think she is five years old.

1A5127E7-9EDF-4364-8552-AB8F9CAC7A94.jpeg

Sweet girl!  Congrats new cat Momma!! She is adorable! 

• Like 1

We continue to meet interesting and inspiring people here on Amelia Island.  We stopped in for a drink at a new bar before going to a show in our local community theater last night.  The bartender, Paul Lore, is an ex-Marine who is part of a 4 man team of ex- US military members that will be rowing across the Atlantic Ocean.  They are doing it to raise money and awareness for PTSD and veteran suicide.  This is part of an annual event called the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Atlantic Challenge, where teams row from the Canary Islands to Antigua...something that my brain has hard time even comprehending.

They expect the trip to take about 50 days.  They will have their own food and a solar powered reverse osmosis machine to make water.  There will always be 2 people rowing and 2 people resting.  There is a covered area to rest/sleep but the rowers are in an open cockpit.  When rowing or even moving about the boat, they will be tethered to the boat since going overboard would mean death.  The boat even has the ability to right itself should it capsize.  A slightly different ocean going experience than our cruise ships!  More info about Paul's team: Home - Foar From Home

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Big Brother Rocco has been won over by Samantha.  She spent part of the morning playing with him.  Now it is time to find a place to nap.

1904053289_Roccosamantha.thumb.jpeg.fd327ed7e5fbadff232532a363801094.jpeg

Samantha is getting bigger!  Rocco might know that ....and is trying to get on her good side before she is as big as he is.  😄 

• Like 4

Bucky and I attended our local community Halloween party last night...brings snacks, BYOB, and just a golf cart ride home.  😄   Great DJ and wonderful decorations filled the manor.  Everyone had a fun time!!

Bucky dressed as the "Warewolf of London"...with perfect hair of course (big hairy wig) dressed in a pin striped suit.   I was dressed as a demented slasher zombie...creepy for sure.  😱

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Welcome to the rest of your life my friend!  Very impressive party.  It says all that you need to know about what you mean to them (especially that bottle of Taylor Small Batch...very nice).  I have only found one negative about being retired.  If I was having a bad round of golf, I used to be able to say that a bad day of golf still beats a good day of work.  Can't say that anymore.  Now comes the LOOOONG wait until your cruise starts.  Let's get this party started!

Seeing Ron Burgundy on one of your gifts brings up a question...are there a lot of Anchorman jokes/references/quotes tossed around in a real news studio?

Thank you Bob. I knew you would pick up on EH Taylor. I've been looking for a bottle of that for two years. Great stuff. I am anxious to try my other gift the Whistle Pig 15.

And it get's better. Yesterday I went to this great huge liquor store where I get a lot of my bourbon. I have gotten to know the owners pretty Steve and Kathy really well. They even employ a whiskey sommelier names Krizzy. She really knows her stuff. So I was talking to Steve and mentioned my retirement was yesterday and see congratulations I know you entered ever year for a bottle of Pappy. When I get my shipment in a will hold a bottle back for you. I was speechless. WOW! IT pays to be a loyal customer and friend.

Now that I'm retired I would like to play some gold but I know I will never be any good. I'm ok with that.

We really don't joke too much about the movie "Anchor man" though we all thinks it's funny. It's so far our reality that we don't pay any attention to it. I guarantee I work with nobody who acts like that. It would be like no airline pilot would ever work if they acted like Leslie Neilsen of "Airplane."

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Lenny, for me it isn't keeping in touch with my childhood friends that make me remember with fondness where I was brought up, although I have never lost touch with my bestie from 3rd grade. It's all the memories, the experiences I look back on that helped shape who I am.  I think those memories get more vivid as the years go by whether in touch with friends or not.

One year my daughter was scandalized when we ran out of candy and I had to resort to giving out small boxes of raisins.  

Re memories.When I was 13 I began keeping a journal of every thing I could remember and continued with the journal till I was 35.

I read it about once a year and read a good portion of it to my grandkids.I also have my Elementary school yearbook.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I am totally going to use these lines. Classic!

Like you,Greg ,when Toby retired in 2008 from the hospital she was working in 27 years she had a wonderful party and a few days later we left for her dream vacation ,two weeks in Alaska.A 7 night land trip followed by a 7 night cruise.Our follow up cruise was also a dream cruise for her,Central America including the Panama Canal.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow! What a fantastic retirement send off. Must have felt great. 

When I retired from public school teaching, I didn't get as much as a congratulations / goodbye from my superintendent. Nada. It was more a feeling of 'don't slam the door on the way out'. Oh well...I was glad to be rid of him, and he of me. 

Mine was similiar .I was downsized after working for a company 25 years.No party but I did get a letter thanking me for my employment .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Like you,Greg ,when Toby retired in 2008 from the hospital she was working in 27 years she had a wonderful party and a few days later we left for her dream vacation ,two weeks in Alaska.A 7 night land trip followed by a 7 night cruise.Our follow up cruise was also a dream cruise for her,Central America including the Panama Canal.

Wow Lenny that is a great retirement vacation. Alaska and Panama Canal are on our bucket list.

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Mine was similiar .I was downsized after working for a company 25 years.No party but I did get a letter thanking me for my employment .

That's really sad. I'm sorry that happened to you. It's just not right.

15 hours ago, HBE4 said:

My step-daughter has lived in Houston for 5 years now. It took her awhile to get used to getting  called "ma'am". It was an age thing in her mind, only 80 and older should be called ma'am. But she used to it now. Sprinkles her conversations with "y'all" as much as possible.

But bless her heart, she'll wear the NY Yankees gear I buy her and considers herself a proud New Yorker.  Funny story, when she first moved to Houston and started making friends, they all had moved there from other places such as Oregon or Michigan or Mexico. She'd say "Nobody here is from here". She was wondering if anyone was ever born and raised in Houston. Eventually she found some.

I have two friends,one male,one female who relocated to Houston from NY.My female friend also experienced being called ma am at a young age.

One of the first things she did was to look for a medical doctor.One was highly recommended to her and when she was in his office she saw on the wall his diploma from Columbia.He like her grew up in Brooklyn.

My male friend and his wife lived in a Houston suburb.He never met anyone from NY until about 15 years ago.A young couple moved to a house next door.

They were Brooklynites and were so excited to meet someone who was also from Brooklyn even though they were much younger.

15 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

No worries, Andrew and I share a hatred for raisins.  My husband loves them. They were his!!! 🤣

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

OMG, this morning there is only one page of posts to catch up on. Did some of you decide ir was FINALLY time to spend a night in bed?☺

This is the quote of the day😀

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HBE4 said:

We usually get average between 110-125, although there are some "repeat" customers with a different mask or cape.

Last year was the lowest ever with 75. I think the town may have had a covid-safe trunk-or-treat event  that drew some kids away.

There are 1560 people living in our condo development .Hundreds of them are kids but on Halloween not that many come to our door or any other house.We wind up having to eat most of the candy every year.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I wish I could get our cat to lay on me. He will lay on Linda's lap all the time. Me never and I'm the one who feeds him. #feelingungrateful.

I feel badly that neither cat will nestle in George’s lap.  They accept pets and will wind around his ankles for some…but only nap on me.  I think it’s because I spent every day from last May 2020 to now with them…practically all day.  “Lockdown” didn’t exist as much for George as he always has home office work and extensive yard work in addition to a home repair project that took a whole year.  🙀 And perhaps they could sense I needed the comfort more.  These two years have been Shakespearean for me…death, tragedy, betrayal, abandonment…sigh.  The girls really saved my life.  It’s amazing how a purr and a snuggle will cheer me up.  Except they are so sweet that it brings tears to my eyes…I’ve lost my sangfroid.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We continue to meet interesting and inspiring people here on Amelia Island.  We stopped in for a drink at a new bar before going to a show in our local community theater last night.  The bartender, Paul Lore, is an ex-Marine who is part of a 4 man team of ex- US military members that will be rowing across the Atlantic Ocean.  They are doing it to raise money and awareness for PTSD and veteran suicide.  This is part of an annual event called the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Atlantic Challenge, where teams row from the Canary Islands to Antigua...something that my brain has hard time even comprehending.

They expect the trip to take about 50 days.  They will have their own food and a solar powered reverse osmosis machine to make water.  There will always be 2 people rowing and 2 people resting.  There is a covered area to rest/sleep but the rowers are in an open cockpit.  When rowing or even moving about the boat, they will be tethered to the boat since going overboard would mean death.  The boat even has the ability to right itself should it capsize.  A slightly different ocean going experience than our cruise ships!  More info about Paul's team: Home - Foar From Home

OMG, I cannot even imagine that crossing in a small row boat.     that sounds insane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow Lenny that is a great retirement vacation. Alaska and Panama Canal are on our bucket list.

That's really sad. I'm sorry that happened to you. It's just not right.

A few days prior my boss and I returned from a business trip.Everything was enjoyable.Every Friday he invited an employee to join him for breakfast .My secretary came into my office and said “John wants to see you in his office”.I assumed it was for breakfast .When I entered his office he handed me an envelope and said that for economic reasons I was being  terminated.I nearly fainted when he said that.He was only working there 2 years .After I left his office I went back to mine and people working near my office saw the look on my face and asked what happened.They could not believe it when I told them.Everyone was shocked.

December will be 25 years .

• Like 3