Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

10 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Based on what the boss tells me, using up the doses on first “jab” and extending out to 12 weeks, is not the tested protocol. 

For now, Israel has only the Pfizer vaccine. Pfizer has been asked about extending the 3 weeks up to 12 weeks between jabs, and they categorically said as above...

Moreover, a Prof. and Head of the Contagious Diseases at the biggest hospital in Israel has been monitoring daily her antibodies, hers team and a control group of medical workers, who all received the 1st dose of Pfizer 8 days ago. I have much faith in what she says, since she was very level-headed from the beginning of the pandemic.

As of today, only 1% of those above had developed antibodies... I repeat, after 8 days of the 1st jab, only 1%....

7 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I agree, welcome to the National Institutes of Health... I am sorry but....😇🤣😂

Pls. see above.

2 hours ago, sgmn said:

It's being driven by the new variant. Our rates have shot up. Apparently most of the protection is in the first dose and the rational is to get as

many as possible some protection in the first few months. Who knows 🤷‍♀️

BBC News - Covid: 12-week vaccine gap defended by UK medical chiefs
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55503739

I've read the link you provided. May be this relates to the AstraZeneca vaccine.

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We are being told that the new variant is much more contagious and they want as many people as possible to get some protection from the first vaccine jab as supplies are limited.

The first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine in the world  has been administered this morning in the UK.

Graham.

Good luck to UK, Graham. Pls. see above my reply to M8.

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

For now, Israel has only the Pfizer vaccine. Pfizer has been asked about extending the 3 weeks up to 12 weeks between jabs, and they categorically said as above...

Moreover, a Prof. and Head of the Contagious Diseases at the biggest hospital in Israel has been monitoring daily her antibodies, hers team and a control group of medical workers, who all received the 1st dose of Pfizer 8 days ago. I have much faith in what she says, since she was very level-headed from the beginning of the pandemic.

As of today, only 1% of those above had developed antibodies... I repeat, after 8 days of the 1st jab, only 1%....

Pls. see above.

I've read the link you provided. May be this relates to the AstraZeneca vaccine.

Thanks Dani.

That 1% is worrying.

They say here it takes 2-3 weeks before protection and the I jab is supposed to stop and serious problems if covid19 is caught.

15 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Pls. see above.

Thanks Dani, would  be very interested in your Prof's findings over the next few weeks. Please keep us updated, fingers crossed for all our sakes. 

Sue

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

That 1% is worrying.

Indeed it is. We aim to maintain a "low profile" for the 4 following weeks (the 3 weeks between the jabs + another week following the 2nd jab) if that's the case (the 1st dose meaning practically nothing)....

The FDA approved the 2 doses protocol (at least for Pfizer and Moderna). Again, I'm just following the news and applying common-sense for everything being said. Better safe than sorry.

The vaccines' main goal was to achieve antibodies. It seems it takes a lot of time....

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Thanks Dani, would  be very interested in your Prof's findings over the next few weeks. Please keep us updated, fingers crossed for all our sakes. 

Sue

Thanks, Sue, will do.

This Prof. also kept recommending doing preventive check ups in the schools, instead of quarantining entire classes after finding sick pupils, which made a lot of sense. But doing serologic wide spread tests costs money, and it was approved only for 3 high schools. It worked excellent in those 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digjharper said:

I just discovered this thread - great reading indeed. Personally, I took early retirement in March last year and the plan was to do many cruises and even more road trips but obviously this did not go to plan. Thankfully we did get a trip in before all this kicked off doing a Cruise out of Galveston last January followed by a Texas and Louisiana road trip.

So I had to find something to keep me busy. We got a black lab puppy in May so many walks with him and so that keeps me semi fit. However, we decided to make use of some space in my back garden and we built a pub. It’s been used a good few times for watching the football here (Glasgow Rangers being our team) so it’s now officially classed as as a “Sports bar”. Due to the restrictions here, not much opportunity for our friends to come and join us having a few beers and even perhaps some “painkillers” (enjoyed a few of these in the Virgin Islands on last cruise) so it’s normally just the good lady and me cheering on the Gers.

Fingers crossed for our first cruise back in October (TA from Southampton) and my trip over in May to do some section hikes on the Appalachian Trail.

77EF8E8A-9733-4A81-9462-164AF90CA96F.jpeg

Wonderful set up. We have a similar size shed in our garden but it is FULL of my husbands bikes, tools and wood working kit. I like yours much better. 😊

I was also planning to retire next year, but covid events had other ideas and after a long furlough I took redundancy in November. After working for nearly 50 years it's not the retirement we had planned and can't wait until we can travel the world. 

Regards Sue 

• Like 4

I'm wondering first I heard very allergic people like me should not get vaccine now suddenly it's ok .Well I was in the hospital in June from allergic reaction then was terrified I would get covid,took 3 months to be well again.Hopefully I will be able to cruise again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Thanks, Sue, will do.

This Prof. also kept recommending doing preventive check ups in the schools, instead of quarantining entire classes after finding sick pupils, which made a lot of sense. But doing serologic wide spread tests costs money, and it was approved only for 3 high schools. It worked excellent in those 3.

Lots of talk here about schools opening or not after the Christmas holidays. The unions are pushing to keep them closed but the government is trying to keep them open as much as possible. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, delliemd said:

I'm wondering first I heard very allergic people like me should not get vaccine now suddenly it's ok .

The Mayor of Tel Aviv went yesterday (76 years old) to get his 1st Pfizer vaccine (he was accompanied with many journalists, etc.).

The nurse asked him if he was allergic (as I was asked yesterday too, and replied that I'm allergic to Sulpha. The nurse asked me what were the symptoms, and I said "itching and my face was bloated").

When the Mayor said what his allergy was, the nurse asked the Chief Physician, who said "No at this moment, but I'll check it further and get back to you". He left with all the "entourage".

After a few hours, the Chief Physician contacted him and told that "yes, you can get the vaccine". He returned alone.

My 2 cents -- check with your physician just to be sure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Lots of talk here about schools opening or not after the Christmas holidays. The unions are pushing to keep them closed but the government is trying to keep them open as much as possible. 

Same here... We're in the 3rd lock down, but, not like the 2 lock downs before, the kindergartens and the 1st-4th grade, and those studying for A-levels are open. 50% capacity in work places, so it's not a total lock down like back in March.

BUT, the numbers are soaring, and the government pushes to TOTAL lock down... and the teachers'' union wants its members to be vaccinated.

A real big mess in the whole world. No magic solution in sight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Dani.

It is freezing here this morning.

We put a heater in our bedroom and spent most of yesterday in bed watching TV.

Pauline is working from home and has her office set up in our utility room where we have a wall mounted gas heater so she is cozy in there.

1 hour ago an 82 year old man got the first Oxford Astra Zenecca vaccine jab in the world.

Gas Engineer has been and got our heating restarted.🤞

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

Wonderful set up. We have a similar size shed in our garden but it is FULL of my husbands bikes, tools and wood working kit. I like yours much better. 😊

I was also planning to retire next year, but covid events had other ideas and after a long furlough I took redundancy in November. After working for nearly 50 years it's not the retirement we had planned and can't wait until we can travel the world. 

Regards Sue 

Last hope our dreams can be realised this year Sue.

Good luck for retirement.

I'm 64 and semi retired IE 1 day a week.

Graham.

1 hour ago, delliemd said:

I'm wondering first I heard very allergic people like me should not get vaccine now suddenly it's ok .Well I was in the hospital in June from allergic reaction then was terrified I would get covid,took 3 months to be well again.Hopefully I will be able to cruise again.

It is reported if you have an epi pen it is not recommended although the adrenaline in the epi pen might counter any reaction.

Take care.

Graham.

Here, in our County in Florida, they are offering the vaccine today and tomorrow, at an outside football stadium. 1000 a day. Police were stationed outside and where preventing people from camping out back to Saturday. Running people off. They reached capacity by 0600 this morning. For 65+. Many from outside our County. 

I’ll wait for an appointment. 

M8

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Here, in our County in Florida, they are offering the vaccine today and tomorrow, at an outside football stadium. 1000 a day. Police were stationed outside and where preventing people from camping out back to Saturday. Running people off. They reached capacity by 0600 this morning. For 65+. Many from outside our County. 

I’ll wait for an appointment. 

M8

I don't blame you with all those people queuing some might have covid19.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2021 at 4:18 PM, singinalot said:

just made the devastating choice to cancel our September Maldives hotel. 😭 We had gotten such an amazing deal with Chase points, but flights are just non existent now and the ones that are are so outrageous. It’s so weird to not have the next 2 years of vacations scheduled already.

That stinks!!     I keep hearing alot of airlines are changing their flight plans as they scramble to figure out what flights will be most profitable.   I'm sure we will see some great deals in the future.

For now, we just keep racking up points with amex and chase.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

That stinks!!     I keep hearing alot of airlines are changing their flight plans as they scramble to figure out what flights will be most profitable.   I'm sure we will see some great deals in the future.

For now, we just keep racking up points with amex and chase.

My kids (daughter/SIL/Grands and SIL family) just returned from week vacation Winter Park Colorado. They flew Sunday after Christmas. Daughter says airplane packed, no open seats, no temperature check, no health questions. 

M8

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Let’s try to keep the political/covid related talk off of here. Many other threads are already handling it.

We don’t need this thread locked down, as it will still be active months from now. 

I agree to a point. The vaccination process is now part of our daily routine. It’s in our mind and important to most of us how different parts of the country are dealing with that process and I personally like getting the shared info. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree to a point. The vaccination process is now part of our daily routine. 

M8

I agree, because it is. I was also interested about the 1% that Dani was sharing.  As well as what those in other countries are going through to get their jabs. 

I’d love to blast my countries politicians and other idiots but I don’t on this thread. It’s not the right spot.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 4