Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Just got a confirmation text for my second shot tomorrow.  Same place same time.  Yippee.

Nice!  They gave us appointments for our second shot right after we got the first ones.  Just hope they in fact HAVE the vaccine available when we show up again on the 11th.  😮 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, island lady said:

Nice!  They gave us appointments for our second shot right after we got the first ones.  Just hope they in fact HAVE the vaccine available when we show up again on the 11th.  😮 

They gave us the appointment at the time we got the first shot.  With everything going on I was worried about the second being available.  I feel much better with the text message since it was to confirm.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

I was eagerly following her "adventures", since I've booked a Sydney to NZ cruise in January 2017 for the following year, involving a huge expense and a very loooong flight (thanks to our FA son, we managed to fly business from Tel-Aviv to HK, and then, after a night in HK, business to SYD with Qantas).

DH declared that even though we'll fly business, he's not doing it in "one leg", he needs a real bed for at least a night. In hindsight, he was right. A friend of mine did it with only 4 hours lay over in HK, and for days she wasn't herself.

We left our home a week before the cruise, allowing for 4 full days in Sydney. Enjoyed the people and the city very much. I couldn't believe my eyes that we made it so far from home, and me looking every day at the famous Opera House.

So glad we managed to do it before the pandemic.

Sydney was next on our list but at least we saw Alcatraz and San Francisco then Hawaii on our cruise last November/December 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Yikes...a lot!  Would be easier to list off the countries and islands we (were 😞 ) to visit.  Was to do a total circumnavigation around Australia.  Also visiting Tasmania, plus north and south New Zealand.  Doing many small islands in the south Pacific, then on to Hawaii visiting the islands there for 5 days...then on to Vancouver.  

I was able to convince the wife to do a 15 day round trip California to Hawaii for our 20th anniversary some years ago. Was able to get wrap around balcony on Radiance enjoyed all 10 days at sea. Probably the longest cruise we will ever get to do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I remember reading about Eastern State Pen.  If it's the place that I'm thinking about, it has been used in a lot of movies/TV shows.  Halloween tours there must have been amazing.

Yes, that is the one.     It housed "Slick Willie" and "Scarface" Al Capone.     Several shows done there by Ghost Hunters.    Most popular movie filmed there was "Twelve Monkeys" with Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis,  "Up, Close and Personal" with Michelle Pfeiffer, "Animal Factory" and "Condition Red".

Their haunted Halloween tour called Terror Behind the Walls takes at least one hour to go through and is probably one of the best I have experienced.    Very scary and our boys loved it.     

3 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Loooong cruises to many different countries/ports appeal to me but not my wife.  We did a 5 night from NYC to Bermuda a few years ago and the seas were pretty rough both going and coming.  DW swore that she wouldn't sail in open ocean again.  I've convinced her to try a Vancouver to Hawaii TP but it took sailing in a GS and spending a week in Hawaii afterwards to convince her.  She's still worried about heavy seas.  

We have done several sailings out of NY, NJ and MD to Bermuda various times of the year and almost all of them had rough seas.    Majority of the time it was easy sailing to get there but rough on the way back.     Let your Wife know if she sails the Caribbean, especially southern caribbean it is smooth sailing almost all the time (just avoid hurricane season).     Maybe she would be better in an OV cabin on deck 4 mid-ship then being in the upper decks?

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Sydney was next on our list but at least we saw Alcatraz and San Francisco then Hawaii on our cruise last November/December 

Graham,  When you visited Alcatraz did you enter one of the cells and have them close the bars on you for a photo op?      We did that and it is quite scary feeling.    

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Graham,  When you visited Alcatraz did you enter one of the cells and have them close the bars on you for a photo op?      We did that and it is quite scary feeling.    

Yes I went into a couple of the cells.

Screenshot_20210201_171501_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171519_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171543_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171600_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171655_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_172026_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Yes I went into a couple of the cells.

Screenshot_20210201_171501_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171519_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171543_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171600_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_171655_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20210201_172026_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I love how good everyone is with their photos.   Our trip there was in the 90's (our honeymoon in San Francisco) so none of the photos are digital.     Great photos!      

Definitely not somewhere I would want to spend any time living in a cell.    Talk about cabin fever

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

What is the fascination with prisons? You come to rhe U.S. to see Alcatraz and I go to London to see the Tower and the Clink.😄

• Haha 2

On 1/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

We had amazing news today.  You may remember 2 weeks ago I spoke about a very dear friend who was put into hospice after having a massive stroke on dec 16th and doctors seeing no response or brain activity for a month.

They removed his feeding tube and stopped whatever meds he was on 2 weeks ago.

His Brother called today to tell us Mike started slowly waking up this week and as of this morning he is fully awake and they had him sitting up in bed eating soft food and drinking.  With help, of course.  My Eric said he woke up because he was hungry. LOL!

They said he is able to answer questions with one or two word answers (with is typical for him on a regular day).  He is able to move all his limbs, a little. 

The family was shocked and amazed to hear this and officially removed him from hospice.   They will be moving him to another wing for rehab and have scheduled speech and physical therapists to see what his new baseline is.

Let's hope someone will make an exception and allow at least his children to visit him.  

Truly a Miracle.

Another amazing day!     My friend's Brother was able to Facetime with his Brother and they spoke for approx. 20 minutes and he was able to speak, a little slurred at times, but they were even laughing at one point.  His Brother emailed me photos of our friend from his facetime video and he looks great.    

Considering 2 or 3 Doctors from a very good hospital in our area from December 17th to mid January saw no signs of any brain activity or responses of any kind and now he looks great and will be starting various therapies this week, is a miracle.      Thank god it wasn't his time.

Hopefully we will get to speak with him this week.    

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What is the fascination with prisons? You come to rhe U.S. to see Alcatraz and I go to London to see the Tower and the Clink.😄

Escape from Alcatraz the film.

It was amazing to actually be there.

We had 2 nights pre-cruise in San Francisco and Alcatraz was a must see.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Another amazing day!     My friend's Brother was able to Facetime with his Brother and they spoke for approx. 20 minutes and he was able to speak, a little slurred at times, but they were even laughing at one point.  His Brother emailed me photos of our friend from his facetime video and he looks great.    

Considering 2 or 3 Doctors from a very good hospital in our area from December 17th to mid January saw no signs of any brain activity or responses of any kind and now he looks great and will be starting various therapies this week, is a miracle.      Thank god it wasn't his time.

Hopefully we will get to speak with him this week.    

Fantastic news and indeed A Miracle.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, island lady said:

🤞for your second vaccine jab 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Loooong cruises to many different countries/ports appeal to me but not my wife. 

Same here... DH doesn't like to be away from the grandkids more than 3 weeks at a time.

Spending only 4 days in Sydney pre NZ cruise and not visiting anything else in Australia was the compromise....

I'm saying "thanks to the little things" 😉

Rough seas -- The 2 days crossing between Sydney and NZ (Tasmanian Sea) lived up to the expectations of being rough. First time I've taken Bonine...

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Considering 2 or 3 Doctors from a very good hospital in our area from December 17th to mid January saw no signs of any brain activity or responses of any kind and now he looks great and will be starting various therapies this week, is a miracle. 

Awesome news 👍

I'm beginning to think that may be my SIL's kids were right in their decision not to disconnect their mother.... hoping for a miracle.

That was 5 years ago, though.....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbancroft said:

I was able to convince the wife to do a 15 day round trip California to Hawaii for our 20th anniversary some years ago. Was able to get wrap around balcony on Radiance enjoyed all 10 days at sea. Probably the longest cruise we will ever get to do.

9256?  My favorite cabin.  Have had that cabin on all four sisters, several times.  AND was supposed to be in it on sister Serenade as we visited New Zealand....would have been glorious as we toured the fiords.  Sigh...  

Also had that cabin on Radiance north/southbound Alaska B2B.  Best way to view the inland waterway!  And that view of the Glacier as we were departing...perfect with wine and cheese.  🤗🍷🧀

Does this look familiar?  😉  1100 JS is nice as well, but I like being one deck down from the noise of the outside WJ overhead.  

WP_000119.jpg

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

We did the same when we went to London.     I guess the fascination is due to a lot of history at these places.    

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Awesome news 👍

I'm beginning to think that may be my SIL's kids were right in their decision not to disconnect their mother.... hoping for a miracle.

That was 5 years ago, though.....

Goes to show you just never know.    The fact all of the experts said there is less than 1% chance that he would wake up and be able to do anything at all based on all the tests they ran.   then approx. 10 days in hospice with no type of life support and 0 meds given to him he wakes up and is doing many things the doctors said would never be possible goes to show all the fancy tests were inaccurate at least for him.       Makes me wonder if the fact they took him off the meds and feeding tube is what made him wake up.

• Like 2