Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

24 minutes ago, Paul from Maryland said:

I ended up purchasing a model from Ambient Weather.  Outside unit is solar powered with battery backup.  Inside display shows wind (speed/direction/gusts), rain accumulation, outdoor and indoor (temp and humidity), barometric pressure, UVI and light indexes and phases of the moon.  This model also makes it very easy to share your weather data on the web.  Mine is sharing data to the Ambient Weather site, Weather Underground, PWS Weather and Weathercloud.

Thanks for posting this as we're still deciding what to purchase.  I like the model that you bought...the more information the better.  It's too much for my wife though.  She wants to keep it simple with temperature, humidity, and maybe a short term forecast.  I'll need to check the Ambient Weather website.

12 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

My wife enjoys the Long Island Medium, and any ghost show that she can find on TV.  She says that the ghost shows now aren't as good as the older ones.  She liked the older version of Ghost Hunters the best.  To put it politely, I'll find something else to do while she watches. 

She also enjoys ghost tours.  We've done them in San Diego (Whaley House), Charleston (Old Jail), Savannah, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Gettysburg, Cincinnati, and York (England).  I'm probably missing one or 2 that weren't memorable.  As a good husband, I do the ghost tours with her and bite my tongue (sometimes really hard) so that I don't say something to spoil the fun.  If you have a good tour guide, they can at least be entertaining and sometimes historical.

You are a good husband.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

She also enjoys ghost tours.  

We did a summer tour of the Mansfield reformatory in Ohio,  (Where part of Shaw Shank redemption was filmed). and in February there is an old hotel in an old  amusement park area given ghost tours.  I do not know if you ever heard of it but it is at  Conneaut Lake park. 

We also like to visit places that offer unique experiences.

Ghost or not the prison was creepy.

Stay healthy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionesss said:

We did a summer tour of the Mansfield reformatory in Ohio,  (Where part of Shaw Shank redemption was filmed). and in February there is an old hotel in an old  amusement park area given ghost tours.  I do not know if you ever heard of it but it is at  Conneaut Lake park. 

Stay healthy

We thought about going to Mansfield but never got around to it.  It was a 2.5 hour drive from our house in Ohio.  We always drove by it on the way to visiting family in Buffalo or NE PA.  I would have enjoyed seeing the Shaw Shank filming areas and it's definitely supposed to be creepy.

13 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I love Cardinals. They are just beautiful and striking looking birds.

I remember being shocked to see Cardinals and Blue Jays here in Florida all year long when I first moved down here from Michigan in 1980.  They are at my feeder right now in fact.  I go through a lot

of sunflower seeds.  😮 

And who sent all these Robins down here?!!...uggh...huge flocks giving us "souvenirs" everywhere they go.   😜  Rockin' Robins need to fly back home!!  🤭

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Stay healthy

For me, this one if the creepiest prisons I ever visited

https://www.easternstate.org/

Located in philadelphia, about 45 min drive from our house.  

When our boys were teenagers we did regular tour, then went back 2 or 3 times for their Halloween Terror tours.  

We went to San Francisco for our honeymoon in the 90s and took ferry to Alcatraz, that was interested but creepy too.   Definitely did not like the feeling when you enter a cell and they close the bars on you for a photo op.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, definitely reason to be sad about the Oasis.  We would be getting home this weekend from a b2b2b for western and southern caribbean.  Miss my tan!

I was supposed to be packed and leaving tomorrow for Sydney.  😭  Was to be boarding Serenade on the 5th, staying on all the way to Vancouver until May 16th.  🥺

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just heard on news our area is to get up to 18 inches of snow starting tonight into Tuesday morning, ugghh! 

I have a bunch of my weekend errands to run today, imagine stores will be packed with all the people that think they need more milk and bread Lol!

Ending up later with sour milk and moldy bread on the overstock. 😉 

I remember those "snow days" when we would get socked in during a blizzard when I lived in Michigan.  We had huge dumps of snow from "lake affect"...being on the shores of Lake Michigan.  Stocked up on powdered milk, and flour to make my bread.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for posting this as we're still deciding what to purchase.  I like the model that you bought...the more information the better.  It's too much for my wife though.  She wants to keep it simple with temperature, humidity, and maybe a short term forecast.  I'll need to check the Ambient Weather website.

I think most would consider Davis Instruments weather stations to be the best.  The price reflects that too.  They start at $350 or so and go up. 

The AcuRite stuff is very popular.  I almost went with AcuRite, but they seem to nickel and dime their customers.  Want to see the data on your smartphone?  Costs extra.  Want to push the data to a web site?  Costs extra.

The Ambient Weather stuff seems comparable to the AcuRite stuff.  But Ambient Weather doesn't nickel and dime their users...everything is included.  The biggest complaint you'll see about the Ambient Weather stuff is that the inside unit, the display, has a narrow viewing angle.  

Both AcuRite and Ambient Weather have units that would please your wife.  An easy to hang outside sender.  Inside display that shows outdoor and indoor temperature and humidity.  The forecast and barometric pressure too.  Prices start around $60 or so.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Andrew, your description of the weather station on your kitchen counter prompted me to do a little research.  I've always wanted a personal weather station and I was blown away by the technology in these things today.  No wires to run at all!

Looks amazing. Great choice. 

I have  LaCrosse  station  that looks similar to the Ambient station. The outside unit measures wind and rain, uses solar with battery for no sun, and displays NWS forecasts.  I am also on the Wunderground network. Outdoor temperature is a separate device that i have on my patio.

I had an AcuRite  unit before, but did not like the display. Plus the outdoor unit also measure Temperature along with wind and rain, and used solar to power a  fan to blow outside air on the thermometer accurate, but it could not handle the Florida temperatures, and was unrealistically high.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I just heard on news our area is to get up to 18 inches of snow starting tonight into Tuesday morning, ugghh! 

I have a bunch of my weekend errands to run today, imagine stores will be packed with all the people that think they need more milk and bread Lol!

We went early to ShopRite and it was insane.  Loaded with nasty people.  We go every Sunday so we should be the only people allowed!!!!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

I have  LaCrosse  station  that looks similar to the Ambient station. The outside unit measures wind and rain, uses solar with battery for no sun, and displays NWS forecasts.  I am also on the Wunderground network. Outdoor temperature is a separate device that i have on my patio.

I had an AcuRite  unit before, but did not like the display. Plus the outdoor unit also measure Temperature along with wind and rain, and used solar to power a  fan to blow outside air on the thermometer accurate, but it could not handle the Florida temperatures, and was unrealistically high.

I should have mentioned LaCrosse in my post.  Their stuff looks good too.

As for the fan in the AcuRite...some call their stuff AcuWrong. 😉  But overall it looks like good stuff.  I was just more drawn to the Ambient Weather hardware.

17 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

We went early to ShopRite and it was insane.  Loaded with nasty people.  We go every Sunday so we should be the only people allowed!!!!

I do both grocery stores I go to early in the morning, during the week...only.  Indeed tired of the rude, nasty people you find later in the day when it gets busy.  They seem to be coming out of the woodwork perhaps with the pandemic putting people on their bad side I suppose.  😞 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, island lady said:

I do both grocery stores I go to early in the morning, during the week...only.  Indeed tired of the rude, nasty people you find later in the day when it gets busy.  They seem to be coming out of the woodwork perhaps with the pandemic putting people on their bad side I suppose.  😞 

We did Costco last week during old folk hours and it was great!  Nobody there, aisles were clear and checkout empty.  It was the fastest I’d ever spent $300!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, island lady said:

I was supposed to be packed and leaving tomorrow for Sydney.  😭  Was to be boarding Serenade on the 5th, staying on all the way to Vancouver until May 16th.  🥺

merion_mom has done a similar journey.... I remember thinking: "67 days on a ship... how much you'll have to pack"😁

Hopefully, you'll do this amazing itinerary in the very near future... For such a long and "trying" flight, might pack in as much as possible, and .... one way 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

My wife enjoys the Long Island Medium, and any ghost show that she can find on TV.  She says that the ghost shows now aren't as good as the older ones.  She liked the older version of Ghost Hunters the best.  To put it politely, I'll find something else to do while she watches. 

She also enjoys ghost tours.  We've done them in San Diego (Whaley House), Charleston (Old Jail), Savannah, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Gettysburg, Cincinnati, and York (England).  I'm probably missing one or 2 that weren't memorable.  As a good husband, I do the ghost tours with her and bite my tongue (sometimes really hard) so that I don't say something to spoil the fun.  If you have a good tour guide, they can at least be entertaining and sometimes historical.

Don't dismiss ghosts and spirits. My husband has one. Little Moccasin. Been with him for years.  Comes and goes. She would torment the dogs. Frequently they would growl at nothing, the fur on their necks would srand up and they would both watch "something" roam around the dark living room. Then she would poke them in the butt a few times. She hasn't been around since Sophie passed. We've never seen her, but she moves things around on us and hides things.

I had to quit warching Ghost Hunters - too real for me.

7 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Don't dismiss ghosts and spirits. My husband has one. Little Moccasin. Been with him for years.  Comes and goes. She would torment the dogs. Frequently they would growl at nothing, the fur on their necks would srand up and they would both watch "something" roam around the dark living room. Then she would poke them in the butt a few times. She hasn't been around since Sophie passed. We've never seen her, but she moves things around on us and hides things.

I had to quit warching Ghost Hunters - too real for me.

Pauline has seen several recommended to her mediums since 2008 when her dad died.

A couple were absolutely fantastic and said things that would be impossible for them to know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

merion_mom has done a similar journey.... I remember thinking: "67 days on a ship... how much you'll have to pack"😁

Hopefully, you'll do this amazing itinerary in the very near future... For such a long and "trying" flight, might pack in as much as possible, and .... one way 😁

Thanks, originally was to be the "100 day cruise"...but now going to wait until early 2023 however.  Just too chancy for 2022 as it is. 

We may wait and go in March instead of originally planned February...due to little sister's big birthday in mid February 2023.  She wants to do a local cruise. 

But will still keep to the "stay on until Vancouver" schedule.  No idea which ship will be the chosen one...but still keeping the the dream alive.  It's a big one on our bucket list that needs to be checked off.  😉  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaniDanielle said:

I can’t even imagine eating the cruise food for that long😳

LOL...funny.  But we don't cruise for the food.  It's just "sustenance" to us.  😄 

Though I will probably be creeping around the kitchen door begging to help cook.  I love to cook!  Weird thing is it will be one of the things I miss.  Hopefully find some cooking classes to join.  😉 

• Like 2