Good news! United Airlines has changed their redeposit of awards miles policy

poeticlicensed

Last week we called United to cancel our flight to Seattle in May because our cruise was cancelled. We used miles to purchase the award tickets Was told that we could receive a credit and change fees would be waived, but if we simply wanted to redeposit our miles they were still charging $125 per ticket redeposit fee and would only waive the fee if the flight was cancelled by United. Yesterday I received an email from United saying that they were "relaxing" their policy and were waiving the redeposit fee. I'm guessing they got some backlash. I just cancelled and redeposited online. 

This is great news and I hope the rest of the airlines follow suit.  I have yet to call American to redeposit my miles because a call is still required and a fee.  

I better check again to see if they have updated their site.

9 minutes ago, LEtue said:

This is great news and I hope the rest of the airlines follow suit.  I have yet to call American to redeposit my miles because a call is still required and a fee.  

I better check again to see if they have updated their site.

Post here what you find out.  I have the same issue.

Wish American would get with it.  We had to pay $175 to redeposit our miles for a flight from Italy to the US.  They haven't cancelled our flight to FLL and are still sticking with the you can cancel or change without fee but ticket must be used within 1 year of  purchase or flight date whichever is earlier.  That gives us until August, 2020.  

44 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Wish American would get with it.  We had to pay $175 to redeposit our miles for a flight from Italy to the US.  They haven't cancelled our flight to FLL and are still sticking with the you can cancel or change without fee but ticket must be used within 1 year of  purchase or flight date whichever is earlier.  That gives us until August, 2020.  

I realize that the situation is fluid and travel companies are changing policy almost daily, but they really should be refunding all the fees that they charged people before changing the policy. Not good PR that because one person waited, they get benefit of the new policy, where everyone who cancelled prior does not. 

Thank you for the heads up.  I had cancelled our United flights to Sydney 2-3 weeks ago, and they charged us each $125 to redeposit the miles.  I just got off the phone with United, and they gave us each a $125.00 voucher for a future flight and not a refund because we cancelled weeks ago.  This is good for future flights, not one year, but for two years in the future.  🍷

• Like 2

Greetings, I too was waiting for some type of relaxed award re-deposit.  I received an email from United re: my upcoming flight to London, Heathrow (part of a larger trip involving a family reunion and 2 cruises).  I was able to cancel the flight and redeposit the miles (with no fee)  and get a refund for the taxes (on credit card).  The miles are already back in my account!  Kudos to United!  

We were booked on the April 24th Reflection trans-Atlantic to Ireland. I used Delta Sky Miles on a code-share KLM to return to Atlanta from Dublin. Within a day or two, after I cancelled, I had all the miles returned to my Sky Miles account and all the associated taxes and fees returned to my credit card. Did the cancellation on the Delta website.

When I cancelled my Aeroplan tickets (Air Canada) they charged me a reduced cancel fee of $75 per ticket.  As soon as I cancelled my visa was charged.  Less than a week later they announced they were waiving the fee...I called and they credited my visa back.