Europe still closed until May 15 at the least

susiesan

23 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The European Commission is asking member countries to keep their borders closed until at least May 15. If Oceania was going to resume operations May 11 they won't be doing so in Europe.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_616

No Oceania ships are currently docked or anchored anywhere near Europe Three are in Florida, one in California, one in Nassau and one in Dubai. Assuming they actually resume operations May 11, which is extremely unlikely, they would have to move ships from their current locations to their next home ports anyway, so the couple of days difference in start dates is of no concern.

If you look at Oceania's schedule there's only one cruise scheduled to depart a European port prior to May 15 anyway, Marina on May 13 cruising from Barcelona to London.

Edited by njhorseman

17 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Oceania web site still shows Marina from Barcelona sailing on May 13 and Sirena from Athens on May 15.

Those cruises are not going happen.

Yes, i mentioned the May 13 cruise when I edited my post.,

If borders were in reality to reopen on May 16, the May 15 cruise could be easily  rescheduled.

Edited by njhorseman

OTOH

There may be a segment (perhaps a large segment) who are so desperate do do just about anything, post quarantine,  that they flood the market.  I'm seeing a very real desperation out there.

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

OTOH

There may be a segment (perhaps a large segment) who are so desperate do do just about anything, post quarantine,  that they flood the market.  I'm seeing a very real desperation out there.

Time will tell.

Are you talking about the Kool-Aide crowd? I sure hope people are not that desperate - playing the Russian roulette is a lot cheaper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Europe this Summer looks very doubtfull for most of us-------------if our US/Canada Border reopens suspect the 20plus scheduled Montreal/USA Cruises might be much more tempting especially with easier flights--and with so many unused FCC's. 

2 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Yes.  (Simply visit the park closest to your home.)

Or Costco. MAYBE 20% of customers had on masks and when questioned they got pretty nasty. So I emailed Reno's mayor and will also write the governor. LA has made them mandatory and businesses don't have to let them in the door.

6 hours ago, Dick Barton said:

Europe this Summer looks very doubtfull for most of us-------------if our US/Canada Border reopens suspect the 20plus scheduled Montreal/USA Cruises might be much more tempting especially with easier flights--and with so many unused FCC's. 

Are you aware roughly 30% of the world’s Covid-19 cases are in the USA?

15 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

Are you aware roughly 30% of the world’s Covid-19 cases are in the USA?

The US might be willing to reopen but I can't imagine that Canada would. They seem a whole lot smarter than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Normally, if this were an "other" situation I'd suggest traveling in the U.S. and/or Canada.  Even Mexico!  But given what looks likely, I wouldn't consider traveling anywhere!

Well, maybe up to the family's cottage in Goshen, MA (we live in Brooklyn, NY) ... that's a very isolated area.  We've rarely seen other occupants when we have been there in the past.

But other than that ... nope.  Not yet anyway.

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

Normally, if this were an "other" situation I'd suggest traveling in the U.S. and/or Canada.  Even Mexico!  But given what looks likely, I wouldn't consider traveling anywhere!

Well, maybe up to the family's cottage in Goshen, MA (we live in Brooklyn, NY) ... that's a very isolated area.  We've rarely seen other occupants when we have been there in the past.

But other than that ... nope.  Not yet anyway.

Mura

Oh, we also. For now. One of our daughters is very bright and well informed and a huge environmentalist. We talked to her about taking our little motorhome and heading somewhere. She pointed out that we could then carry the virus to a place that doesn't have the medical system to deal with it. So no; not that either. Dammit. I'm going stir crazy(er) but so be it. (And, I owe you a huge email. It will happen, I promise.)

1 minute ago, clo said:

Oh, we also. For now. One of our daughters is very bright and well informed and a huge environmentalist. We talked to her about taking our little motorhome and heading somewhere. She pointed out that we could then carry the virus to a place that doesn't have the medical system to deal with it. So no; not that either. Dammit. I'm going stir crazy(er) but so be it. (And, I owe you a huge email. It will happen, I promise.)

Here in NJ people have been told in no uncertain terms not to relocate to their summer homes at the shore at this time for just that reason.

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Here in NJ people have been told in no uncertain terms not to relocate to their summer homes at the shore at this time for just that reason.

Super glad to see that. South Lake Tahoe has ordered short-term rentals to shut down and will fine them a tidy sum, $1000/day IIRC. Truckee CA, also a resort town is saying in so many words, "please don't come here."

2 hours ago, clo said:

Or Costco. MAYBE 20% of customers had on masks and when questioned they got pretty nasty. So I emailed Reno's mayor and will also write the governor. LA has made them mandatory and businesses don't have to let them in the door.

Try & find  a mask here in Canada  ..unless you are  a frontline worker   there are none to be had

Cannot even find any hand gel to buy

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Try & find  a mask here in Canada  ..unless you are  a frontline worker   there are none to be had

Cannot even find any hand gel to buy

We're using thick, cotton napkins folded like a bandanna. And there are tons of videos for making from squares of fabric. Stay safe.

I've been receiving a number of emails suggesting how to make our own.  Granted, not of the medical caliber.  Let me know if you'd like me to send some of them to you.  Or you can just google something like "do-it-yourself face masks".  I think you'll come up with a number of suggestions.

Some use old socks, some use hankerchiefs ...

I think that at least in NYC sanitizer is also hard to find.  I had some on my last Oceania cruises but I haven't tried to find it ...

Mura