Now for something completely different

32 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Having been to both ports I know which one I’d rather spend the most time in.

I've been to Ketchikan too. I don't think we were off the ship for 2 hours, we did enjoy some king crab but I've seen the prices they are asking up there now definitely not worth it. You can get a whole dungeness crab pulled out of a live tank and cooked up for about half that price.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I've been to Ketchikan too. I don't think we were off the ship for 2 hours, we did enjoy some king crab but I've seen the prices they are asking up there now definitely not worth it. You can get a whole dungeness crab pulled out of a live tank and cooked up for about half that price.

My mouth is watering thinking of Alaskan Crab.  I shouted myself two mud crabs on my recent holidays.  We can’t always get them so have to settle for the smaller sand crabs.

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I read a report somewhere today that it was 27C in Sitka. I may have to pack shorts.

It's definitely been pretty toasty around here. Besides you were packing shorts anyway right 😁.

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My mouth is watering thinking of Alaskan Crab.  I shouted myself two mud crabs on my recent holidays.  We can’t always get them so have to settle for the smaller sand crabs.

We can get King crab here fresh in season, not live crabs but cooked and never frozen. It's not cheep but looking at the prices in a photo someone posted from an Alaska cruise they were on I think probably less expensive here than Alaska. We are pretty fortunate here to be able to get so many fine seafoods here. Some of the finest oysters in the world are farmed right here on Vancouver Island. Dungeness crabs are almost always in the live tank in the local supermarket as are Nova Scotia Lobsters, fresh clams, mussels and scallops. We live in a great place, sometimes we take it for granted.

• Like 2

Just now, Blackduck59 said:

We can get King crab here fresh in season, not live crabs but cooked and never frozen. It's not cheep but looking at the prices in a photo someone posted from an Alaska cruise they were on I think probably less expensive here than Alaska. We are pretty fortunate here to be able to get so many fine seafoods here. Some of the finest oysters in the world are farmed right here on Vancouver Island. Dungeness crabs are almost always in the live tank in the local supermarket as are Nova Scotia Lobsters, fresh clams, mussels and scallops. We live in a great place, sometimes we take it for granted.

You certainly do!  I love seafood!!

1 minute ago, MMDown Under said:

Alberta’s heatwave is causing the bushfires.

was on Australian news.

It has been very hot in north west Alberta, unseasonably so and we have fires burning in north east BC along the border with Alberta. I know we have asked for and are receiving help from firefighters from all over North America and Australia and anywhere that has firefighters that want to work.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:39 PM, Blackduck59 said:

It has been very hot in north west Alberta, unseasonably so and we have fires burning in north east BC along the border with Alberta. I know we have asked for and are receiving help from firefighters from all over North America and Australia and anywhere that has firefighters that want to work.

I hope firefighters get fires under control before summer.  

I see Princess Anne has been to Canada for the weekend to receive an award.  She is the hardest working member of the Royal Family.  It is hard to believe she is 72.  Good to see King Charles giving her a major role in the Coronation.  

13 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I see Princess Anne has been to Canada for the weekend to receive an award.  She is the hardest working member of the Royal Family.  It is hard to believe she is 72.  Good to see King Charles giving her a major role in the Coronation.  

She and Prince Edward/Sophie are the only ones I have any time for - the rest of the royals can go jump in my opinion. Though I know quite a few people will disagree but that is to be expected so no problems.

Edited by Aussieflyer

7 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

She and Prince Edward/Sophie are the only ones I have any time for - the rest of the royals can go jump in my opinion. Though I know quite a few people will disagree but that is to be expected so no problems.

I like Prince William and Princess Catherine. I think they will be a wonderful King and Queen when their time comes.

• Like 1

I don't understand the infatuation people have of the royals. Much the same as I also don't peoples' infatuation for football clubs or F1 etc, etc.. It goes well beyond just having an interest in such things.

2 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I don't understand the infatuation people have of the royals. Much the same as I also don't peoples' infatuation for football clubs or F1 etc, etc.. It goes well beyond just having an interest in such things.

To me the Royal Family' strengths are they are trained for the job unlike politicians.  They give a lot of people a lot of pleasure and bring a huge amount of money into Britain from visitors who enjoy the Pomp and Ceremony.  

• Like 2

Just now, MMDown Under said:

To me the Royal Family' strengths are they are trained for the job unlike politicians.  They give a lot of people a lot of pleasure and bring a huge amount of money into Britain from visitors who enjoy the Pomp and Ceremony.  

That's interesting.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

i see Celine Dion has Cancelled all future tours 23/24.  She has incurable Stiff Person Syndrome.  So sad, as she has the most beautiful voice. 

She is like a skeleton 🩻 too.

Celine's life has been a turmoil since Rene was diagnosed was diagnosed with cancer. The cancer fight and his eventual passing had a profound affect on her. I'm afraid she never recovered from that and now has her own devastating health issues. She had such talent, I hope she can find tranquility as she tries to navigate this next chapter in her life.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Celine's life has been a turmoil since Rene was diagnosed was diagnosed with cancer. The cancer fight and his eventual passing had a profound affect on her. I'm afraid she never recovered from that and now has her own devastating health issues. She had such talent, I hope she can find tranquility as she tries to navigate this next chapter in her life.

Yes he was her great love. They met when she was young.