Now for something completely different

20 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

@BRANDEE, we have been watching the news and that smoke is alarming. We have had smoke here from wildfires in California and Washington State in past years as well as other wildfires in BC when the wind comes from the North East. I hope they can get the fires under control soon. I know you will take whatever precautions you need to be safe. If that means getting a proper respirator with charcoal filters like painters use then do that. Be well, stay safe.

Our Canadian friends in Ottawa have been experiencing the haze smoke skies recently, but never expected it to reach New York City with such thick yellow smoky air. Used our value respirator masks today just to go out to water the plants, and get the mail.  Air quality tonight was 484 out of 500.  Not looking good for tomorrow, but rain on Friday will help.  Just got home three days ago from another road trip..we went to Grand Canyon as well as Antelope Canyon (narrow slot canyon on Navajo Nation). Some elevations in Arizona were harder to breath for my husband, but nothing like what we have at home now.  Amazing how far reaching smoke can be!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, it is widely used in Queensland, eg school port, port rack (where children store their ports), port (big suitcase).

And in NSW your port is your suitcase. Your sky rocket is your pocket. Your Julius Marlowes are your shoes.

And so it goes on in the Strayan Vernicular.😀

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And in NSW your port is your suitcase. Your sky rocket is your pocket. Your Julius Marlowes are your shoes.

And so it goes on in the Strayan Vernicular.😀

Port is not slang.  It is a proper word.

27 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

We were on the Ruby Princess from Sydney to Fiji in Nov 2019 during the fires and we didn't get out from under the smoke until we left Lifou in New Caledonia. That's about 2000 kilometers.

We were on Ruby in early December 2019. The day we embarked we could not see the harbour bridge from Skywalkers, that's how thick the smoke was. Our cruise only went to Noumea, Mystery Island and the Isle of Pines but the smoke wasn't too bad going up the coast and once away from Australia it was clear. It was such a relief to have a few days smoke-free however once we returned I developed a nasty respiratory inflammation from the smoke and ended up on medication for a couple of months. I avoided going out as much as possible and wore a mask when outside but even so it still affected me badly. 

I read something the other day about extended hazard reduction burning being planned for NSW so am not looking forward to that. 

@BRANDEE I hope the smoke haze clears quickly from where you are. It really is awful. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Port is not slang.  It is a proper word.

The word Port for Portmanteau..suitcase is in the Australian/Queensland dictionary but not in the Oxford Concise Dictionary which is the proper King’s English.

God Save The King.!

🤴🏻

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

The word Port for Portmanteau..suitcase is in the Australian/Queensland dictionary but not in the Oxford Concise Dictionary which is the proper King’s English.

God Save The King.!

🤴🏻

It is in the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary though:

"A case or bag for carrying clothes when travelling".

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

God Save The King.!

🤴🏻

My parents (NSW) always packed their ports for a holiday away

• Like 1

Leigh, hope you’re perusing.  Just watched final episode in this series of “Rick Stein’s Cornwall” and my heart stopped when he interviewed his friends Peter Prideaux-Brune and his wife Elisabeth at Prideaux House.  They’re delightfully eccentric, and we enjoyed every moment, having visited so recently.  Some wonderful footage of the House and its interior, and later in the closing clips, glimpses of the deer herd.  Cornwall is calling me.  I thought only the Scottish Highlands could do that🥰

On 6/7/2023 at 5:15 PM, MMDown Under said:

Australia is a country of immigrants. I love the way each state has words unique to it.  One example is “port” short for portmanteau, which is a suitcase or school bag.

And I thought he was Phileaus Fogg's valet!

Searching the internet trying to remember the name of the "duffle bag" my grandmother took on holidays, I came across NXT Journey,  They are an innovative company which started out making bags for truckies. I loved the message "Welcome to Our Store.  Just give a shout if you need anything."

The small leather bag my grandmother used opened at the top, with a spring. 

This is all she took for our annual month's holiday in the North, via the Sunlander. 

My small port wasn't as impressive, but was meant to last ready for the next holiday. 

When our family travelled overseas, we used to take eight big ports to bring our purchases home.  Now my girls travel with hand luggage only.  Life has come full circle.  

There was also grilled halibut. 

Every once in a while our foreman decides it's time for the boss to buy us lunch. Brian dies the cooking and we enjoy some great feasts. Brian is an avid fisherman, so when he goes out he drops a crab trap and when in season he goes for prawns too. We had Dungeness and Rock crabs, Spot prawns, corn on the cob and baby potatoes. He also caught a halibut the other day so we got some of tgat too.

19 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

There was also grilled halibut. 

Every once in a while our foreman decides it's time for the boss to buy us lunch. Brian dies the cooking and we enjoy some great feasts. Brian is an avid fisherman, so when he goes out he drops a crab trap and when in season he goes for prawns too. We had Dungeness and Rock crabs, Spot prawns, corn on the cob and baby potatoes. He also caught a halibut the other day so we got some of tgat too.

Wow that was a feast.  Was it all caught in the crab pot?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

It was "Boil up" day at work today

20230608_120250.thumb.jpg.729a81edf85574ca2ddb8b1482996b0e.jpg

Crikey you Canucks live well, no Vegemite Sangas in the work lunchroom over there. Good stuff Lyle.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Searching the internet trying to remember the name of the "duffle bag" my grandmother took on holidays, I came across NXT Journey,  They are an innovative company which started out making bags for truckies. I loved the message "Welcome to Our Store.  Just give a shout if you need anything."

The small leather bag my grandmother used opened at the top, with a spring. 

This is all she took for our annual month's holiday in the North, via the Sunlander. 

My small port wasn't as impressive, but was meant to last ready for the next holiday. 

When our family travelled overseas, we used to take eight big ports to bring our purchases home.  Now my girls travel with hand luggage only.  Life has come full circle.  

That small leather bag may have been an original portmanteau which is often described as "being made of stiff leather". 

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Leigh, hope you’re perusing.  Just watched final episode in this series of “Rick Stein’s Cornwall” and my heart stopped when he interviewed his friends Peter Prideaux-Brune and his wife Elisabeth at Prideaux House.  They’re delightfully eccentric, and we enjoyed every moment, having visited so recently.  Some wonderful footage of the House and its interior, and later in the closing clips, glimpses of the deer herd.  Cornwall is calling me.  I thought only the Scottish Highlands could do that🥰

Thanks Linda, no I didn't see it (sport took preference with viewing last night). I'll have a look for it this afternoon. We love watching his shows.

• Like 1

Lisle, that is a mouth-watering image of ingredients.  What a delicious  feast.

on a more serious note,  we are all watching the terrible wildfire situation in your beautiful country.  I know at least one contingent of Aussie firefighters has left to assist;  we do indeed enjoy a wonderful mutual aid arrangement in times of need, and we’ve been so grateful for Canadian assistance when our bushfires are rampant.  Hoping and wishing the fires will be contained rapidly, and that you all stay safe and well.

• Like 1

Wow that was a feast.  Was it all caught in the crab pot?

Just the crabs, when people here go fishing they will throw a crab pot over the side on the way out. Brian knows the good spots to set the crab pot. He will then go out to where the fish are, that way even if they don't catch any fish there is almost always crabs in the trap. Prawn traps are similar to crab pots but have much smaller mesh. They are also set in a different location. Halibut are a bottom fish; you use different gear and technique than you do for salmon.

• Like 1