Now for something completely different

On 7/10/2023 at 8:20 AM, lyndarra said:

Here's something different, something that hasn't happened to me in years.

I received a cheque - in the mail!😨

Last month I had a business call me asking why I still haven't cashed their cheque. I was so confused as I didn't even know I was getting this refund and obviously hadn't received this cheque which according to their records had been sent in January😯. I asked if they could just EFT the amount and they said "no we are only allowed to send cheques". Have to admit I didn't think cheques still existed😂.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2023 at 5:31 PM, Jean C said:

They're no longer legal currency in NZ 🥴

Not quite true.  They have never been legal tender, but a bill of exchange (or iou note).  So, businesses have always been able to refuse to accept them and now the banks have stopped offering cheque books to customers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Not quite true.  They have never been legal tender, but a bill of exchange (or iou note).  So, businesses have always been able to refuse to accept them and now the banks have stopped offering cheque books to customers.

Fair enough 👍

• Like 1

We have an account with a cheque book facility attached, although for some reason it's not called a "cheque account".  I seriously cannot remember the last time I wrote a cheque, nor receiving one.

True story that may even trounce all our dated cheque stories:   my friend's lovely mother passed away some nine or ten years ago now, but her local bank branch, where she'd been a loyal customer all her married life, indulged her dislike of "modern and complex banking" and allowed her to continue to trot into the branch with her savings passbook, which the staff duly stamped and initialled for each transaction.  I guess any cheques she received in the mail also went into the passbook as credits.  She was a delightful lady, and I can't imagine anyone, even a bank manager, not acceding to her requests.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

We have an account with a cheque book facility attached, although for some reason it's not called a "cheque account".  I seriously cannot remember the last time I wrote a cheque, nor receiving one.

True story that may even trounce all our dated cheque stories:   my friend's lovely mother passed away some nine or ten years ago now, but her local bank branch, where she'd been a loyal customer all her married life, indulged her dislike of "modern and complex banking" and allowed her to continue to trot into the branch with her savings passbook, which the staff duly stamped and initialled for each transaction.  I guess any cheques she received in the mail also went into the passbook as credits.  She was a delightful lady, and I can't imagine anyone, even a bank manager, not acceding to her requests.

My mother who passed away two years ago, just short of 100 still had a passbook account and cheque book which was  used till her death. Staff at local branch would greet her by name when she attended.9

We also have a cheque book attached to an account which we use occasionally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, valantine80 said:

My mother who passed away two years ago, just short of 100 still had a passbook account and cheque book which was  used till her death. Staff at local branch would greet her by name when she attended.9

We also have a cheque book attached to an account which we use occasionally.

That's another lovely story about caring bank staff.  And what a wonderful, long life.  Thank you for sharing this lovely tale about your mother.

We each have a personal account and we also have a joint account. Each are partitioned into several sub accounts, all have a "Chequing" account. We found the cheque book for the joint account the other day, the cheques don't even have the correct address; we've been at our current address for almost 18 years. Neither of us has any clue where the cheque books are for our personal accounts.

• Haha 2

Those lovely bank staff looking after elderly ladies, bless them. Wouldn't be a certain 'big bank'. I've been reading how some of their branches are going 'cashless' and not dispensing or accepting cash over the counter!!! Really?! Not my idea of a bank or customer service!!!

• Like 1

Dealing with cash is very costly for banks, and governments which print and mint at a cost to the tax payer. Armoured cash vans, security guards, etc..

Back when I worked for CBA I also seviced ATMs on weekends and holidays - I didn't do it for nothing. Ever wondered why you can't convert foreign coin? Coins are heavy.

29 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Dealing with cash is very costly for banks, and governments which print and mint at a cost to the tax payer. Armoured cash vans, security guards, etc..

Back when I worked for CBA I also seviced ATMs on weekends and holidays - I didn't do it for nothing. Ever wondered why you can't convert foreign coin? Coins are heavy.

I must admit I rarely use cash now.  I still like to carry enough for an emergency if the machine is down in a coffee shop or restaurant, etc.  Saves a dash to the bank where you can't get cash😄

• Like 3

The oldies who wont get debit cards to hit the atm will have a problem, getting $20 out of their pass book accounts with Commonwealth Bank. No cash. Likewise my bank down here ANZ.

Cash is King.

Will NZ fork out a few billion $ and host the big sporting carnival in 2026?

Good decision by Dan down in Vic. 6 billion to host is  crazy.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Will NZ fork out a few billion $ and host the big sporting carnival in 2026?

Good decision by Dan down in Vic. 6 billion to host is  crazy.

Rubbery figures, I think Les?

• Like 1

I think it is a good decision, Victoria were asked to do it, and still 3 years out, they are declining due to  cost blow outs, both those already happening, and those yet to come.

I love sport but there are better things to spend the money on. 

Let some other country take it over or scrub the games altogether.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Those lovely bank staff looking after elderly ladies, bless them. Wouldn't be a certain 'big bank'. I've been reading how some of their branches are going 'cashless' and not dispensing or accepting cash over the counter!!! Really?! Not my idea of a bank or customer service!!!

It was actually one of the big banks " which bank". Different nowadays. Makes it hard for oldies.

We travel in a motorhome and often stay in free camps where they request a donation to help maintain facilities. These places will suffer greatly with lack of cash as people will still stay there without making any contributions.

In the past you could buy a copy of The Big Issue on the streets of London for a pound or two. Cash was becoming so scarce I have heard that The Big Issue can be bought using credit/debit cards.

12 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

In the past you could buy a copy of The Big Issue on the streets of London for a pound or two. Cash was becoming so scarce I have heard that The Big Issue can be bought using credit/debit cards.

For quite a few years now Buskers have been using the 'tap' system to allow people to pay if they have no cash.

My son used to work in a bank branch in an older suburb of Adelaide. Only couple of years ago.

They s till had customers with passbooks - no new passbooks will be issued for other customers but those with them already were still usable

Pension day there were always old age pensioners lined up outside  for bank opening, to withdraw cash over the counter using their passbooks

• Like 1