Now for something completely different

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I went to the Collingwood game at the MCG on Saturday. I offered the seller cash to buy the Footy Record. Imagine my shock when he told me they only accept cards, no cash.

It's been card only for a while now, well at least since Covid reared its ugly head. All sales in the G are card only as well, including parking in Yarra Park. It's the same at Marvel Stadium.

• Like 1

My mom and dad both hooked on to "Interac" which is what the debit card system is known by here right from the start. Mom would have turned 91 this year and dad would have been 98. Sadly they have both passed. They would use their debit cards for purchases and to make withdrawals from their accounts at the ATM. However they still made deposits at the teller and they never did anything on line, they didn't do computers.

My employer switched to direct deposit a few years ago, before then he would come around with the pay envelopes and say thank you. I sort of miss that, it was a moment of mutual respect. I would then take the cheque to my local branch and deposit it with a teller. I would do any bill payments or money transfers on line.

• Like 1

When I started work in the CBA my pay was credited fortnightly directly into my account by computer. Each payday a printout was posted on a noticeboard in the branch. I would write the amount on the butt of a book of withdrawal forms, just like a cheque book, fill in a withdrawal form and cash it. This was in 1964.

BTW, we could see what everyone else was paid on the printout!

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

One year in uni, I had a summer job in a hospital laundry. Interesting!

On pay day we were all gathered in the big work room. The managers would bring in all the pay packets and call out each name in turn. So far so good.

As one goes up to collect their pay, designated manager would open the envelope and the other would the publicly count the amount. Odd.

• Like 1

My Mum & her partner John retired to Yamba on Nth coast of NSW in early 1990's and kept their joint CBA passbook account going with both their pensions going into it. They would go to the bank and withdraw cash. They had a credit card for emergencies but almost never used it - just like their mobile phone 🙂 .

Around 20 years ago Mum had to come down to Sydney for an extended period for chemo & as she would need access to money during that time, they agreed she would take the passbook with her. She would go to a branch & take money out as needed down here. John would go to the Yamba branch and withdraw money from the account without the passbook ("the bank staff knew him and "knew" Mum was in Sydney", keeping a written ledger himself.

When Mum went back home, she went to the bank and updated all the transactions in the book & it all matched John's ledger. 😮

Mum finally gave up on the passbook after John passed & she moved back down here, not when we had all tried to get her to do it, but when the lady at the bank suggested it 😮

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mr walker said:

My Mum & her partner John retired to Yamba on Nth coast of NSW in early 1990's and kept their joint CBA passbook account going with both their pensions going into it. They would go to the bank and withdraw cash. They had a credit card for emergencies but almost never used it - just like their mobile phone 🙂 .

Around 20 years ago Mum had to come down to Sydney for an extended period for chemo & as she would need access to money during that time, they agreed she would take the passbook with her. She would go to a branch & take money out as needed down here. John would go to the Yamba branch and withdraw money from the account without the passbook ("the bank staff knew him and "knew" Mum was in Sydney", keeping a written ledger himself.

When Mum went back home, she went to the bank and updated all the transactions in the book & it all matched John's ledger. 😮

Mum finally gave up on the passbook after John passed & she moved back down here, not when we had all tried to get her to do it, but when the lady at the bank suggested it 😮

Thanks for sharing that sweet story, Neil.  Another instance of the rewards of knowing your local branch staff, and their understanding changed necessities.  Sadly, that time has passed, I fear.  

• Like 2

Yes, banking is really impersonal these days. I remember back when I was around 18, I was shocked when I walked into a bank to open an account and I was immediately shown into the Manager's office and he personally opened the account!!! My jaw still hits the ground whenever I think about it.

• Like 3

On 7/20/2023 at 1:30 PM, possum52 said:

It's been card only for a while now, well at least since Covid reared its ugly head. All sales in the G are card only as well, including parking in Yarra Park. It's the same at Marvel Stadium.

No prizes for guessing when I last went to a game at the 'G'.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, By The Bay said:

No prizes for guessing when I last went to a game at the 'G'.

At least before Covid? Actually in the couple of years before Covid, Marvel Stadium food outlets were already going card only. 

I got totally caught by this a year or so ago. I had to go to Adelaide for work and raided an account that I don't have a card linked to, to have some spending money, having stripped my normal account to pay for a cruise. I landed early enough to sneak around to the Festival Theatre to see a show only to discover that it is a cashless centre. the lovely lady on the desk made it possible for me to pay for the ticket with cash but I could not buy anything else during the evening. I was rather dry by the time I got back to my hotel!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Went to Piggs Peake annual wine release and tasting night last night.

A good night of tasting plus spitroasted pig and beef, salads and complimentary beer and wine, for wine club members, and live music.

Theme for this year was come as your favourite rock star. So I did.

Guess who?

IMG_20230729_193617605.jpg

IMG_20230729_193638575_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

A good night of tasting plus spitroasted pig and beef, salads and complimentary beer and wine, for wine club members, and live music.

Guess who?

I'm going with Angus Young.

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Guess who?

Is that Ozzie or a blue Roy?

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Is that Ozzie or a blue Roy?

Kinda, sorta correct (not Roy, although I like his music).

My intention was to go as John Lennon and the plan was to stop somewhere just before the venue and don my costume, so to speak. However, when I arrived people were calling me Ozzy which puzzled me. I asked my friend Tony if I looked like Ozzy and she agreed with the others. Oh, the humility of it all and he doesn't play guitar! So I settled for Ozzy and John missed out. At least they were both English. One young lady even asked if she could have her photo taken with me. Yeh, why not.

Must dig out my copy of Paranoid and listen to it again - it's been a while.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, lyndarra said:

Kinda, sorta correct (not Roy, although I like his music).

My intention was to go as John Lennon and the plan was to stop somewhere just before the venue and don my costume, so to speak. However, when I arrived people were calling me Ozzy which puzzled me. I asked my friend Tony if I looked like Ozzy and she agreed with the others. Oh, the humility of it all and he doesn't play guitar! So I settled for Ozzy and John missed out. At least they were both English. One young lady even asked if she could have her photo taken with me. Yeh, why not.

Must dig out my copy of Paranoid and listen to it again - it's been a while.

That’s hilarious.  Going with “the vibe” is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1