Queen Mary 2 - Worth the memory

Solent Richard

There we were taking tea on our balcony and surprise, surprise, gliding down the Solent comes our flagship, Queen Mary 2.

Dead opposite now and it's hard to believe that that she is passing with absolutely no guests onboard...

732650589_QM2Sailsempty.jpg.b9637b3444ef685dcfaf3d77c2827046.jpg

As the AIS says her destination is 'Southampton' I can only surmise that she is going to ditch 'grey water' and make a drop of fresh in the channel overnight.

• Like 4

Southampton VTS had her scheduled for one of those "local coastal" trips. She's due back at the Mayflower Terminal at 06:00 on April 23rd. Allure of the Seas is scheduled to arrive at noon tomorrow to take the spot at the City Terminal QM2 just freed up. Ventura is scheduled to depart at 18:30 today to free up the spot at the Mayflower Terminal for QM2 (with Marella Explorer 2 scheduled there just temporarily later tonight and tomorrow). So a bit of "fruit basket upset" going on rearranging berth locations for QM2 in Southampton.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

Hi, 

Thanks for posting this photo of my favorite ship. I have sailed seven times aboard the Queen Mary 2 and have many wonderful memories of this ship. I sincerely hope that I am able to sail aboard this beautiful ship in the future. I would love to be eating a scone during afternoon tea in the Queens Room.

Chuck

• Like 2

I also noticed the QM2 was underway just in time to see it on the Isle of Wight Appley Beach webcam.  It passed behind the Solent Forts.  I recently found this is a little boutique hotel where you can spend the night in the lighthouse.  

It looks like it might be nice to stay there after disembarkation and see the QM2 departure that evening. 

Screenshot_2020-04-21-12-03-09.png

Screenshot_2020-04-21-12-03-23.png

• Like 6

14 hours ago, IB2 said:

I was very surprised to look out of the window just now, and see her sailing by.  Heading west off the south coast of the island.

And is now out in the lower western reaches of the Channel.  As they aren't due back immediately they seem to be giving it a good run, if at lower than normal cruising speed.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2020 at 9:21 AM, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Thanks for posting this photo of my favorite ship. I have sailed seven times aboard the Queen Mary 2 and have many wonderful memories of this ship. I sincerely hope that I am able to sail aboard this beautiful ship in the future. I would love to be eating a scone during afternoon tea in the Queens Room.

Chuck

My favorite ship too. 

Cunard sent out a text to a link regarding the secret recipe of the scones and how to make them should you wish to make your own. Cant be the same though.

11 hours ago, buffyone said:

My favorite ship too. 

Cunard sent out a text to a link regarding the secret recipe of the scones and how to make them should you wish to make your own. Cant be the same though.

Thanks, but I think part of the reason the scones taste so good is the wonderful atmosphere in the Queens Room.

Chuck

• Like 2

11 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Thanks, but I think part of the reason the scones taste so good is the wonderful atmosphere in the Queens Room.

Chuck

I never made it past the queue to the Queens room - but they tasted good in the buffet. 

They won't taste nearly as good if I have to make them though! 

As a solo cruiser I found that I had to be bold and enter the Queens Room with a purpose as if I was looking for a friend who had saved a seat for me. The trick is to look around and make eye contact with somebody who looks like they would welcome you at their table for two. A fair amount of solo teatime travelers will welcome a stranger for good conversation and a nice cup of tea and those warm lovely scones. You are also helping the waiters and Maitre D as they are always looking to hurry on single teatime patrons because of table space and the queue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, buffyone said:

As a solo cruiser I found that I had to be bold and enter the Queens Room with a purpose as if I was looking for a friend who had saved a seat for me. The trick is to look around and make eye contact with somebody who looks like they would welcome you at their table for two. A fair amount of solo teatime travelers will welcome a stranger for good conversation and a nice cup of tea and those warm lovely scones. You are also helping the waiters and Maitre D as they are always looking to hurry on single teatime patrons because of table space and the queue.

I sail on the Queen Mary 2 every year as a solo and each time I go into the Dining Room to dinner the first evening I have to brace myself for this but what I do is always make sure I am there for the doors opening with the hope of being the first at my table it has worked so far for me.

Edited by penlady

• 8 months later...

I just booked the last accessible Queen Grills Suite for the London Theatre at Sea sailing from NY May 2022 for me and my sister. It's going to be a long 18 months but I hope worth the wait. Hopefully by then coronovirus will be under control. 

Edited by jpcello
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2020 at 3:31 PM, buffyone said:

It is not only the solo travelers who enjoy the interaction -  I think it is so sad that so many older couples, who dine just with themselves almost every night at home, seek their own tables for  two rather than sharing.