Carnival Radiance- dry dock

Tjcalley

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

John Heard said on 5/8/2020 that construction has not begun on the Radiance. I wonder if it will be finished. 

I just read Spain extended their lockdown till May 24. Not sure if shipyard workers are allowed to work . Pretty sure this is the holdup 

4 hours ago, shof515 said:

during the transatlantic crossing to the shipyard, the ship was already gutted out. there is no turning back now. they need to do all of the planned work on the ship

Oh good to know !

• Like 1

How were they able to "gut out" the Victory while on a TA to Spain with passengers on board?  That would really reduce the cruise experience for those on board at the time.  Unless the cruise was for free?  Ha, ha, ha. doubt that!  They might have done some minor things to it during the cruise over.  They do maintenance all the time during a cruise like paint, lay carpet, etc..  We need to find a cruise review from someone that was on that TA to Spain on the Victory just prior to drydock.  If anyone finds one, please post a link here.  Thanks.  Don

15 minutes ago, airdale said:

How were they able to "gut out" the Victory while on a TA to Spain with passengers on board?

the ship sailed empty for the TA. they was no passengers during that sailing.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, airdale said:

I read today that the Radiance had moved from the shipyard to the drydock.  Sure hope so.  Now all they need is workers to work on the cabins and interior.

Where did you read that ?

17 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

That is NOT CORRECT. The ship is sitting outside the drydock awaiting decisions as to when it will occur. The information posted is outdated and factually incorrect.

My gosh, don't get your panties in a wad! I did a quick search, and that's the only article I could find that referenced the Radiance. If you have more current info, please post your link to the news story. That would help us ALL out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

My gosh, don't get your panties in a wad! I did a quick search, and that's the only article I could find that referenced the Radiance. If you have more current info, please post your link to the news story. That would help us ALL out. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Pandemic-foils-expected-big-year-for-ship-deliveries

19 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Really nothing new there. The shipyard closed in March.

It isn't the first time supply exceeded demand, but culling of old ships did not occur. No reason to think it will now. And if demand really slows in one region, try moving a ship or two to a different area where demand might be stronger. The cruise lines have been around this bend in the river before.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Thanks, but I read, and re-read that article posted earlier today, I don't see any mention of the Radiance. What am I missing?

This article does mirror several articles I’ve seen posted from Spain concerning the Radiance. Carnival has not yet decided to continue the refurbishment according to Spain . 

Edited by UrbishN

• 2 weeks later...

From what I understand the Victory/Radience is still in Spain where it was to undergo a big refurbishment. And then Covid-19 hit! The construction stopped when the shipyard closed. We are interested in a journeys cruise for May 2, 2021 but the Radience is showing only guarantee balcony available. I doubt everything is sold out as we don't yet know the rooms that have been added. They will allow booking of a guarantee. We've had 3 cruises cancelled and hate to book another where the same thing can happen.

If anyone has any inside scoop and cares to share it that would be great. I can't find info. anywhere  telling when Radience will come back into service. Thanks.

There are 3 or 4 threads all saying that the refit of radiance was canned. So it may not be radiance. You might want to read some of them, they arent too far back. 

I'm interested in October 2021 panama, and it's been going up. I wonder if they read the ship might not be finished? 

6 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

There are 3 or 4 threads all saying that the refit of radiance was canned. So it may not be radiance. You might want to read some of them, they arent too far back. 

I'm interested in October 2021 panama, and it's been going up. I wonder if they read the ship might not be finished? 

I had heard that also about it being canned. I asked my PVP about it and she said it was sold out of balcony cabins! I doubt that. This search thing is useless. It never tells me about what I ask for. Thanks for your input.

1 hour ago, MURCOTT said:

I had heard that also about it being canned. I asked my PVP about it and she said it was sold out of balcony cabins! I doubt that. This search thing is useless. It never tells me about what I ask for. Thanks for your input.

Lol if its sold out of balconies, how can they sell you a balcony gty? Hahahaha. 

51 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

Mr. Heald said the ship is not being scrapped.  But she did not actually say it would be completed. So I would think it is still a long way from being completed. 

It would take less than 2 months to complete. The original transformation was only scheduled for something like 6 weeks.

Just now, firefly333 said:

They shouldnt be selling balconies they dont have. 

All cruise lies do. All airlines overbook, too. There are always cancellations. In the case of cruise lines, some people always cancel at final payment. It is common and standard practice.