QM2 location (Merged threads)

speedwell

Queen Mary is back in Southampton. She is moored along side berth 106. She is scheduled to said for Torquay tomorrow, Sunday at 17:00. She should be visible on several of the You Tube Solent Ships channel's cameras as she sails. 

Good show! It's great to have those camera on the Solent Ships YouTube channel which include audio. There was a wonderful concert of ships' whistles as QM2 departed Southampton about an hour ago. One or both of Ventura and Iona got into the act with their whistles as QM2 passed, over a span of at least three and a half minutes as I figured it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Good show! It's great to have those camera on the Solent Ships YouTube channel which include audio. There was a wonderful concert of ships' whistles as QM2 departed Southampton about an hour ago. One or both of Ventura and Iona got into the act with their whistles as QM2 passed, over a span of at least three and a half minutes as I figured it.

If you followed her on the Cruise Terminal Camera, which had a tight shot of the front of Iona, you saw her pass from right to left. About a half hour later she passed from left to right as she proceeded in the channel between the Isle of Wight and the mainland on her way to Weymouth Bay. On a clear day, with the good lenses that camera has you can literally see the ship miles away, and it doesn't hurt that she is a big ship. 

If you look at www.solentships.com there is a live map that shows all the vessels in the Solent. The dark blue are passenger vessels. and when you zoom in on the dot it will identify the vessel and give you information on arrivals and departures. It tracks the vessels and indicates the speed and position as well.

I enjoyed hearing her horn too, especially as she passed the ferry terminal. Just watching her glide down Southampton Water looking very much the Queen that she is really feels great to me

Edited by Bigmike911
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After QM2 moved from the QEII terminal to the City terminal last night and QE arrived at the Mayflower terminal this morning, here is the view from the QM2 bridge webcam showing both ships in Southampton today. It's a shame QE's bridge webcam hasn't been working lately in order to also see QE's view of QM2.

qm2.jpg.5002d2d526eec7c8e055706604a2e08a.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

QM2 is in Southampton's City terminal for 5 days according to the cruise ship schedule - 8th-13th August.

QE is in Ocean terminal for 2 days - 9th-11th. And then back again on the 12th for her first cruise on the 13th.

A good view of Disney Magic in the new 102 Horizon Cruise terminal.

image.png.5578ef513fded0633b1ad4835e14bc5e.png

Queen Mary 2 is back in Southampton at berth 101 for resupply. She will be there until Friday. She has been going back and forth from Southampton to an anchorage in Weymouth Bay. Today Queen Elizabeth is also at the Ocean Terminal in Southampton. 

On 8/16/2021 at 3:36 AM, speedwell said:

I thought she was originally due to go into dry dock last November.

QM2's previously planned drydock during November 2020 did not happen.

Previous comments on this board have indicated QM2 might be going into drydock at Brest, France on September 6th. That report was from a couple months ago so plans may have changed since then. But there is a sizeable gap in the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule for QM2 between August 25th and September 27th so that timeframe would fit.

Thanks for information bluemarble- so that looks like three weeks dry dock time. Hm. I suppose they will only do the absolutley important work on her. Only three weeks  means no new bathrooms in Brittania Class- and they are  in desperate need of replacement since they are totaly outdated.

I suppose one would be hard pressed to find more outdated bathrooms on a ship.

I posted this in the "QM2 Nov/Dec Schedule" thread when I meant to post it here. I'll repeat it here since this is where we have been discussing QM2's drydock plans recently.

====================

Here's a comment just posted in the chat from the Solent Ships Youtube channel. I have no way to verify its accuracy but thought it would be of interest to this discussion about QM2's drydock plans.

"Qm2 is supposed to be going to Hamburg next week for a 3 week refit before crossing again in November."

Thank you bluemarble- yes that would make sense. So she is again in Elbe 17 - well I am sure there will be something about the in our newspapers. They ( in Hamburg) make always a great " to do" , when their favorite ship visits Hamburg- either for a day or in Elbe 17.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:49 PM, Germancruiser said:

Thank you bluemarble- yes that would make sense. So she is again in Elbe 17 - well I am sure there will be something about the in our newspapers. They ( in Hamburg) make always a great " to do" , when their favorite ship visits Hamburg- either for a day or in Elbe 17.

@germancruiser where is Elbe 17 located within Hamburg? We will be visiting HAM in two week’s time and it would be an extra treat to see our favorite ship while we are there.

Oh, Elbe 17 is right in across the " Landungsbrücken, St. Pauli"! Very good views from there when walking along- one of my favorite places to be in Hamburg anyway. Wonderful experience.

Also " The Fischmarkt" ( fish market) is always fun to visist.

Also they are doing harbour tours via little boats- and if the Mary is in- they also make a great " to do" about her then and get as close as they can for passengers to view QM2 close up.

Queen Mary 2 (Modernisierung Juni 2016, Blohm + Voss, Dock… | Flickr

This is what it looks like across the Landungsbrücken , St. Pauli.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

Oh, Elbe 17 is right in across the " Landungsbrücken, St. Pauli"! Very good views from there when walking along- one of my favorite places to be in Hamburg anyway. Wonderful experience.

Also " The Fischmarkt" ( fish market) is always fun to visist.

Also they are doing harbour tours via little boats- and if the Mary is in- they also make a great " to do" about her then and get as close as they can for passengers to view QM2 close up.

Queen Mary 2 (Modernisierung Juni 2016, Blohm + Voss, Dock… | Flickr

This is what it looks like across the Landungsbrücken , St. Pauli.

Thank you so much for the info.  I am now even more excited for my first visit to Hamburg. I would imagine seeing the QM2 at the B+V dry dock is the next best thing to sailing up the Elbe on her.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:38 PM, bluemarble said:

Previous comments on this board have indicated QM2 might be going into drydock at Brest, France on September 6th. That report was from a couple months ago so plans may have changed since then. But there is a sizeable gap in the Southampton VTS cruise ship schedule for QM2 between August 25th and September 27th so that timeframe would fit.

Sorry to disappoint @Germancruiser and @ClipperinSFO but there is some additional evidence lending credibility to this earlier report about QM2 heading to Brest.

QM2 will be back in Southampton this morning and is scheduled to depart the evening of 25 August. The "Departures" section of the "Planned Shipping Movements" page on the Southampton VTS website lists her next destination as Brest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Sorry to disappoint @Germancruiser and @ClipperinSFO but there is some additional evidence lending credibility to this earlier report about QM2 heading to Brest.

QM2 will be back in Southampton this morning and is scheduled to depart the evening of 25 August. The "Departures" section of the "Planned Shipping Movements" page on the Southampton VTS website lists her next destination as Brest.

Yes, alas.  I had heard elsewhere that the ship might be headed to Brest. Oh well. Hope to see some good pictures from dry-docking there.

According to Solentships.com QM2 is in Southampton today and will sail tomorrow for Brest (France, I presume). In Brest there is the Damen Ship repair. They have a drydock that is 420 x80 M which would handle the queen. They also say that drydock has a max depth of 10.1m and QM2 is suppose to have a draft of 10.2. I guess the could lighten her up a bit with less fuel and water. 

It will be good to see her getting gussied up a bit. In her comings and goings from Southampton, when I have watched her on the You Tube Solent ships channel, she is in serious need of paint, at least. 

By the way Solentship has been very accurate about comings and going from Southampton