QM2 location (Merged threads)

speedwell

10 minutes ago, speedwell said:

According to the internet, the QM2 is heading west out of the English Channel. Does anyone know where she is going?

Just for a stroll around the local area, or its nautical equivalent. She's due back on Soton tomorrow. There is another thread about this.

Due back in Southampton at 0600 tomorrow

ship trackers indicate she is already on her way back, having u-turned sharply once west of Truro.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, IB2 said:

Due back in Southampton at 0600 tomorrow

ship trackers indicate she is already on her way back, having u-turned sharply once west of Truro.

Stopped by the police on the A30, I dare say.😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

QM2's next departure is now listed on the Southampton VTS Planned Movements page as May 1st at 17:00 for a "Local Coastal" cruise. The Cruise Ship Schedule page doesn't have her returning until May 7th at 08:00 and then departing again at 16:00 the same day. After that, the schedule is showing QM2 back in Southampton for a day on May 14th.

Just speculating here, but I wonder if QM2 will be heading to Portland Anchorage for a few days. Ventura has been at Portland Anchorage since April 22nd and is due back in Southampton for a day on April 29th. Then Ventura is due back in Southampton for a day on May 6th and again on May 13th. Looks like they might have a system in place for the next several weeks to rotate QM2 and Ventura in and out of Southampton for only a day at a time at approximately weekly intervals.

• Like 1

With no planned passenger voyages until the end of July. I wonder how much crew QM2 has aboard. I have to believe that many of them have gone home, if they can get there. Has anyone seen any media stories on that subject? I know that some South African Crew were allowed off at Durban.

• Like 1

Here's a shot of QM2 from the Cowes Yachting webcam on "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk".

1593930530_QM2CowesYachting1-May-2020.jpg.2e46bc11abbfb8c04356b32d33a655f6.jpg

Looks like plans may have changed as the Southampton VTS website is no longer showing her going to Nab Anchorage and QM2's AIS information is showing her destination as Weymouth.

• Like 2

Yes, I see her, a fair way out but a wonderful clear evening.  Sailing slowly westwards.

Just passing one of the warships routinely out there nowadays chasing Russian subs 

Edited by IB2

Slightly off topic, but I saw a story about Carnival gathering 18 ships, of various brands in the Bahamas. They will be taking 10,000 crew members to their home all around the world. South America, the Baltic,  the Mediterranean, various countries in the far east. I think this is very good P.R.  for Carnival and it allows their crew members to get home.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigmike911 said:

Slightly off topic, but I saw a story about Carnival gathering 18 ships, of various brands in the Bahamas. They will be taking 10,000 crew members to their home all around the world. South America, the Baltic,  the Mediterranean, various countries in the far east. I think this is very good P.R.  for Carnival and it allows their crew members to get home.

A day late and a dollar short.  

More important: it signals that they do not anticipate carrying passengers very soon — which had likely been their reason for keeping so many service (as opposed to ship handling) people on board.

On 4/23/2020 at 6:23 AM, exlondoner said:

And as gorgeous as ever.

Too bad it doesn’t show her “good side”. 

(We always book port side for our autumn TA’s coming home to get the sun - as well as to get first sea day sunrise out of N.Y. to the Carinbbean and afternoon sun on last days heading back north.)

OK, not much of an image to be sure, but here's QM2 as seen tonight (about 3:30am local time) in Portland Anchorage from Aurora's bridge webcam. Hey, when we can't be sailing on QM2, I'll take any view I can get! Still only showing her starboard side in this view, I'm afraid. Ventura can also be seen as the other smaller (more distant) rectangle of light just to the right of QM2.

872425516_AuroraWebcam.jpg.7f7003bf082381534d21c7f988af3f50.jpg

• Like 2

02/05/20: The Queen Mary 2 cruise ship, the flagship of the Cunard Line, has joined two P&O vessels, the Aurora and Ventura. The Queen Mary 2 has been in the area for some time after arriving back off the coast of England last month but is occasionally seen moving around due to the weather forecast and for maritime operations, according to its owner.

(Text Daily Mail)

Slide-show: https://youtu.be/wXYFgsP0mDw

• Like 2