Refund Roll Call

JPH814

In March 2019, we had paid a Future Cruise Deposit to Seabourn to have first crack at the itineraries for the new Venture ship. Unfortunately, when those itineraries were unveiled, we got only a short day or two before they went on sale to everyone, and more importantly, the price for the cruise we wanted (Antarctica + South Georgia Island) was too rich for our blood, and we never booked. That FCD has been sitting there, and since we have another FCD we paid for on our last Seabourn trip in January of this year, I finally told our TA to ask for a refund on this FCD.

Refund request made on August 6. Refund received in our credit card account on August 13. I believe I may be the winner for fastest cruise company refund since the pandemic began! 😉  (Of course, this was just a small dollar amount, and didn't have any complications from multiple payments, multiple credit cards, shore excursions or other add ons, etc. that make cruise cancellations more complex than a simple refund.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I believe I may be the winner for fastest cruise company refund since the pandemic began! 😉

Sorry to disappoint you. We got our Viking river cruise deposits in 3 days (2 separate cruises) 🙂

On 8/24/2020 at 7:11 AM, cruiseej said:

Refund request made on August 6. Refund received in our credit card account on August 13. I believe I may be the winner for fastest cruise company refund since the pandemic began! 😉

See my post #708:

A Question......

We had two cancelled cruises with Seabourn.
    For our July, 2020 cancelled cruise we requested our money refunded, which it was after 90 days.  Done.

For our Nov, 2020 cancelled cruise we requested the FCC +25% which we just received and put it towards our Nov 2021 cruise.   I thought that there was something else Seabourn was giving us beyond the 25% bump.  I though we also were to receive $300 of shipboard credit.  Was that just wishful thinking on my part or am I remembering correctly?

Looking forward to your responses......

Jodi

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread.   We were booked on the 12/20/20 Quest Antarctica cruise which has now been moved forward to '21, thankfully still on the Quest and identical itinerary as the itinerary on the new expedition ship coming onboard next year (?) is quite different along with the price.   Personally I give Seabourn a lot of credit for pulling this off and think it is a good way to handle a cruise cancellation.

At this point we plan to stay booked for next year, but are debating the risk of seizing the "pay in full by 9/30" for a 10% price savings.  Our TA told us in essence "Seabourn has made this kind of offer for a long time".   Having not sailed with Seabourn previously we have no idea if the agent is merely meaning it has been offered for months this year or has Seabourn actually had this kind of promotion from time to time over the years?   We pointed out to the agent that 10% is a heck of a return for us and very expensive financing for Seabourn.  Thus we question just why they are offering this 10% savings.  ie trolling for money from one customer far in advance of sailing in order to pay for current outstanding refunds?   

Having been one of the competitor cruise line customers waiting for refunds from "C" and following that refund thread we know there is much speculation that may be what some of the companies are doing.   The big issue of course being concern about a company not making it through this massive financial hit.   

Having read the last 5 pages of this thread it sounds as though SB refunds are being processed albeit some quite slow.   Or am I missing something?  

12 hours ago, andiamo76 said:

Glad I found this thread.   We were booked on the 12/20/20 Quest Antarctica cruise which has now been moved forward to '21, thankfully still on the Quest and identical itinerary as the itinerary on the new expedition ship coming onboard next year (?) is quite different along with the price.   Personally I give Seabourn a lot of credit for pulling this off and think it is a good way to handle a cruise cancellation.

At this point we plan to stay booked for next year, but are debating the risk of seizing the "pay in full by 9/30" for a 10% price savings.  Our TA told us in essence "Seabourn has made this kind of offer for a long time".   Having not sailed with Seabourn previously we have no idea if the agent is merely meaning it has been offered for months this year or has Seabourn actually had this kind of promotion from time to time over the years?   We pointed out to the agent that 10% is a heck of a return for us and very expensive financing for Seabourn.  Thus we question just why they are offering this 10% savings.  ie trolling for money from one customer far in advance of sailing in order to pay for current outstanding refunds?   

Having been one of the competitor cruise line customers waiting for refunds from "C" and following that refund thread we know there is much speculation that may be what some of the companies are doing.   The big issue of course being concern about a company not making it through this massive financial hit.   

Having read the last 5 pages of this thread it sounds as though SB refunds are being processed albeit some quite slow.   Or am I missing something?  

I believe they have only offered the 10 percent this year due to the pandemic.  I think it has been on their website for a few months. Holland America has the same offer . Both end on 9/30. It truly is a personal decision. We shall see if they extend it after 9/30. 

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got a check [it took 6+ months] for the $9,000+ that we incurred in extra expenses after being thrown of the ship mid-cruise in Adelaide.  Then, a few days later, I got a bill from Seabourn for ~$1,000, saying we had been over reimbursed for some on-board expenses that had been refunded twice, according to their accounting department.  No explanation of the alleged double refunds - just a demand for payment.  TA is working on it.

A more pressing question:  Will my July 30, 2021 Alaska cruise happen, or is this just a pipe dream?

Linda

20 hours ago, whystayhome said:

We finally got a check [it took 6+ months] for the $9,000+ that we incurred in extra expenses after being thrown of the ship mid-cruise in Adelaide.  Then, a few days later, I got a bill from Seabourn for ~$1,000, saying we had been over reimbursed for some on-board expenses that had been refunded twice, according to their accounting department.  No explanation of the alleged double refunds - just a demand for payment.  TA is working on it.

A more pressing question:  Will my July 30, 2021 Alaska cruise happen, or is this just a pipe dream?

Linda

Hi Linda,

Congrats on "finally" getting a refund! I would suggest having them present you or TA with their accounting to prove that they really overpaid you. Otherwise, their accounting error may be in trying to re-charge you.

Re your 7/21 cruise: Hope it happens for you, but most importantly, hope it happens safely. For me, I cannot imagine a scenario in which I would feel comfort cruising until vaccinations are omnipresent and effective, therapeutics reach a high level of viral suppression, and I know that if I were to be infected mid-cruise, that I would be able to discharged to major hospital for treatment. That being said, Alaska is the location for any probable return to cruising for me, unless I did a cruise around the Hawaiian Islands.

Be safe!

Edited by notjaded

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, whystayhome said:

Hi Gary

Yes, I’ve asked My TA to get a detailed accounting.  And even if we do owe them the money...let’s see, we waited 8 months to be reimbursed, so maybe Seabourn would like to see what that’s like.

Linda

Hi Linda, did you get the detailed accounting yet???

Edited by Xpina Colada

• 1 year later...

To all of you who followed this thread a couple of years ago:

I  am interested in how many of you have already sailed with Seabourn or have a cruise currently booked with Seabourn

I know some people were very critical of Seabourn at the time.  In hindsight, what is your opinion of Seabourn?

As for me, I have just jumped back into the water and booked a cruise on the Quest in October.  In my opinion, Covid presented / presents a unique and unprecedented situation. Cruise lines - for that matter society and governments in general - had no idea what they were up against and how it was best handled.  As the science became more understood, the responses evolved.  But I do not hold a grudge against Seabourn because of how they handled the situation or the amount of time it took to get me refund.  

I love cruising. I think Seabourn fits my desires perfectly.  Covid has not changed that.

Edited by JPH814

I agree with you @JPH814

We've just returned from a SB cruise and have another one booked!

At the time, it was an interminable wait for a refund (understandable up to a point, but rather worrying all the same)

Needless to say, memories fade and we've just had a fab cruise on Ovation

1 minute ago, Mauzac said:

I agree with you @JPH814

We've just returned from a SB cruise and have another one booked!

At the time, it was an interminable wait for a refund (understandable up to a point, but rather worrying all the same)

Needless to say, memories fade and we've just had a fab cruise on Ovation

Hi Mauzac

I saw your answer to my other post (about hosted tables)  Where is you autumn cruise?  We are on the Quest from New York October 16

We’re taking the first half of this cruise on the Odyssey, Pathway to Polynesia, Vancouver to Tahiti for 27 days.  It will be our third cruise between March and October this year.  Hope things stay stable!  We’re ready to cruise with Seabourn again!  
BTW, I haven’t seen a roll call, have you, Mauzac?  

Anne Marie and Helen, we are on the Vancouver to Sidney cruise, and have hesitated starting the roll call, since the last few we started did not end in our being on that cruise! 😞  Maybe we will get more confident soon and start one.

We are also looking at the March 13, 2022 Ovation cruise that one of you is on, to replace the January 30 cruise we cancelled that the other one was on!

Hopefully, we will all get together on the Odyssey, and also on topic on a thread.🤓

Ann &  Peter

4 hours ago, FlyingScotSailors said:

Anne Marie and Helen, we are on the Vancouver to Sidney cruise, and have hesitated starting the roll call, since the last few we started did not end in our being on that cruise! 😞  Maybe we will get more confident soon and start one.

We are also looking at the March 13, 2022 Ovation cruise that one of you is on, to replace the January 30 cruise we cancelled that the other one was on!

Hopefully, we will all get together on the Odyssey, and also on topic on a thread.🤓

Ann &  Peter

Ann and Peter,

Yes, we are on the March 13, 2022 RT Miami to the Panama Canal.  We are also scheduled for the 21 day Atlantic Harbors and Baltic departing on June 18.   This is the third year we have attempted the Baltic itinerary.   We’ll see.  
Looking forward to planning with others.  I’ll keep checking the roll calls for any additions.  

We cancelled a cruise at the end of December and were advised we would receive a 50% refund to our credit card and a 50% FCC.  We received the credit card refund within days; however, are still waiting for the FCC.  Has anyone else recently experienced this long a wait for FCC to be posted?  Have queried Seabourn but they can't seem to tell us if/when we will see the FCC.