List of Cruise Ports closed

txd

It is indeed a daunting task - and at the moment geographically incorrect.  The UK ports have never closed so it isn't entirely correct to say they have re-opened.  But more amusingly - the "EU block" is described as still closed - which is not accurate. (Actually on re-reading I don't know what the EU Block is supposed to be - the schengen free travel zone, the origional 12, the extended EEA?  The UK is still actually part of the EU..)  But ports in Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Spain and Germany are listed as open....

Its a horrible task and thier efforts are actually very much appreciated.  Travel and Tourism across the EU is opening up now.  We are emerging - turtle like - into our "new normal"!

40 minutes ago, GastroGnome said:

It is indeed a daunting task - and at the moment geographically incorrect.  The UK ports have never closed so it isn't entirely correct to say they have re-opened.  But more amusingly - the "EU block" is described as still closed - which is not accurate. (Actually on re-reading I don't know what the EU Block is supposed to be - the schengen free travel zone, the origional 12, the extended EEA?  The UK is still actually part of the EU..)  But ports in Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Spain and Germany are listed as open....

Its a horrible task and thier efforts are actually very much appreciated.  Travel and Tourism across the EU is opening up now.  We are emerging - turtle like - into our "new normal"!

GastroGnome,

according to this list, Spain is closed indefinitely. Norway thru August. German ports are not open. Travel and Tourism could be open, but not the cruise ports.

4 hours ago, txd said:

GastroGnome,

according to this list, Spain is closed indefinitely. Norway thru August. German ports are not open. Travel and Tourism could be open, but not the cruise ports.

I also read last month that All cruise ports in Italy were closed indefinitely and this list confirmed the same. 

Santander is in Spain - and stated on this list as open. Tromso is in Norway - also listed as open. Hamburg is in Germany - also listed as open.  I only based my statement on the contradiction between the ports on this list stated as open and the general statement that EU is "shut".

And I didn't say anything about Italy. There are no Italian ports open at the moment.  Although the Italian Governement says international travel will resume from 1st June.

I'm curious... are they distinguishing between "open port" and "open to cruise ships"? Our ports in Maine are open, but NOT to any passenger ships with more than 50 passengers, excluding ferry service. There's a huge difference between a port being open or closed... and whether or not they will accept cruise ships. 

3 hours ago, MEcruzr said:

I'm curious... are they distinguishing between "open port" and "open to cruise ships"? Our ports in Maine are open, but NOT to any passenger ships with more than 50 passengers, excluding ferry service. There's a huge difference between a port being open or closed... and whether or not they will accept cruise ships. 

The article is about ports closed/open to cruise ships only.

47 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Alaska is not mentioned in the US section. 🤨

Lots of other errors and contradictions that jump out at me, including no mention of Brazil or St. Lucia, and they list Bergen as open while saying saying that Norway is closed.

55 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

I'm curious. What difference does it make if the port is open or closed if the cruise ships aren't sailing anyway?

It makes a difference when Celebrity is offering cruises to ports that are closed. For example, Hawaiian and Alaskan still being offered long after after Vancouver was closed. Unfortunately, this list lacks the necessary accuracy and there are better sources on the net if you are looking for a specific port. 

• Like 1

Some ports are currently open also for cruise ships like e.g. Tromso, Hamburg and Southampton but this does not include any touristic passenger movements as long as borders are closed and rules for running cruise ships again are not defined. Hence this list is not helpful for cruise ship tourism.

Thank you for all your helpful comments. Unfortunately, it is proving impossible to keep this piece up to date with a skeleton staff, so we have elected to concentrate on specific regions. As one poster said: How is this useful when no lines are sailing? it isn't. So please feel free to check Cruise Critic (it's the drop down tab at the top that says "More" then drop down to News) where you will find all the latest updates on when the lines will return to service as well as pieces on regions including the Caribbean: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5356/ Canada and New England: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5358/ and -- as one poster pointed out where is Alaska? – right here: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5298/

I hope this is useful to you

1 hour ago, Adam Coulter said:

Thank you for all your helpful comments. Unfortunately, it is proving impossible to keep this piece up to date with a skeleton staff, so we have elected to concentrate on specific regions. As one poster said: How is this useful when no lines are sailing? it isn't. So please feel free to check Cruise Critic (it's the drop down tab at the top that says "More" then drop down to News) where you will find all the latest updates on when the lines will return to service as well as pieces on regions including the Caribbean: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5356/ Canada and New England: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5358/ and -- as one poster pointed out where is Alaska? – right here: https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/5298/

I hope this is useful to you

Thank you for following up.  Accurate travel information really is a moving target at the moment.  Are you mainly working from home and/or many staff furloughed?

1 minute ago, dutchclogs said:

Thank you for following up.  Accurate travel information really is a moving target at the moment.  Are you mainly working from home and/or many staff furloughed?

I can't go into the specifics, but yeah we've been hit pretty hard. There are just three of us now and trying to keep on top of all the news ain't easy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Adam Coulter said:

I can't go into the specifics, but yeah we've been hit pretty hard. There are just three of us now and trying to keep on top of all the news ain't easy.

These are unprecedented times.  Hou je taai as they say here in Holland 🤔

Excellent info. Realize there will be some errors, but greatly helps. One funny: Czech Rep ‘ports’ are closed to cruise Ships: Darn!!! And yes, I’m aware of river cruises, but I thought it was still funny. We need to find humor during this time where we can find it, no matter how weak!

Den

Edited by Denny01

On 5/26/2020 at 3:16 AM, GastroGnome said:

Santander is in Spain - and stated on this list as open. Tromso is in Norway - also listed as open. Hamburg is in Germany - also listed as open.  I only based my statement on the contradiction between the ports on this list stated as open and the general statement that EU is "shut".

And I didn't say anything about Italy. There are no Italian ports open at the moment.  Although the Italian Governement says international travel will resume from 1st June.

Edited by Loracpin2