Tipping!

Sailorsway

15 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Imagine if cash tipping due to the physical contact is banned?  "What's your paypal/venmo?"  lol

I think that cash tipping may be discouraged in the future. I am averse to handling bills and coins now. In a COVID world some crew members will have the same concern.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CruzRamirez said:

I think that cash tipping may be discouraged in the future. I am averse to handling bills and coins now. In a COVID world some crew members will have the same concern.

The more I think about this, you can microwave/fog/UV light cash and its fine.  I wonder about how you would tip bartenders, for example the bar by the pool on a sea day where there's a constant flow of customers meaning you don't have time to clean the cash.  Then I thought about it, they're probably doing a tip jar and will sanitize the whole thing after their shift.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The more I think about this, you can microwave/fog/UV light cash and its fine.  I wonder about how you would tip bartenders, for example the bar by the pool on a sea day where there's a constant flow of customers meaning you don't have time to clean the cash.  Then I thought about it, they're probably doing a tip jar and will sanitize the whole thing after their shift.

i can sanitizer spray each bill before i hand it to them, lol 

3 hours ago, CruzRamirez said:

I highly doubt that; cash will always be king, until the government decides that electronic is better so that they can keep better track of who has it and how much they have; a no no as far as I am concerned.

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You have to be careful about the microwave; some currencies have metal in them and could be a real problem when they catch on fire.

6 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

You have to be careful about the microwave; some currencies have metal in them and could be a real problem when they catch on fire.

Good point!  Also just thought some may be tipping with coins yet believe the overwhelming majority of cash tips will be USD singles.

I hate tipping with credit cards its not that convenient. Its always better to hand a real cash in hands of a guy who made your day by wishing a good day or serving you whatever you asked for. Honestly, tipping is one of those things that wont go anywhere and we have to keep saying thank you to people serving us in such a way 

Related to tipping is the cruise lines requirement to still print paper receipts and require guests to sign.  Can't see them waiving that requirement and will probably simply encourage folks to use hand sanitizer after but I'd love to see a more innovative solution such signing to your smartphone.  Not everyone has a smartphone and they could be lost, stolen or break but I believe at least half of all passengers would prefer to use their their phones compared to pen and paper.

Why not just add some extra tip on the pay-slip you normally have to sign? Or, if you have a drinking package  and therefore no paper receipt to sign, you can just go to the front desk on board and ask them to charge you for a certain amount of extra tip to the person(s) of your choice - and I actually believe that it will be listed as tip with their name on your receipt.... (At least that used to be the case a few years ago).

Edited by TrumpyNor

7 minutes ago, TrumpyNor said:

Why not just add some extra tip on the pay-slip you normally have to sign? Or, if you have a drinking package  and therefore no paper receipt to sign, you can just go to the front desk on board and ask them to charge you for a certain amount of extra tip to the person(s) of your choice - and I actually believe that it will be listed as tip with their name on your receipt.... (At least that used to be the case a few years ago).

I think some people just like the act of tipping in cash.  Since I never carry cash unless I have to for some reason, I'm not in that camp (lol).

What if we abolished the need to tip and instead NCL actually paid their employees the minimum wage in a first world country that they deserve?

Seriously though, if you have the option of tipping cash to a specific employee or paying the ship in general, please do the former. While germs are certainly a factor, I highly doubt anyone is going to be turning down extra dosh at the very low wages these cruise companies pay.

EDIT: To answer original question, dollars! Crew have their own bar, and a store on the ship they can buy stuff from, and I'm fairly sure they all use US currency?

Edited by Donniss
updated information

Whatever you give them, they'll appreciate it. Ive always used USD and you can tell they love it and it can be seen in the service. Works must better than the service charge, I usually just cancel it.

17 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

Whatever you give them, they'll appreciate it. Ive always used USD and you can tell they love it and it can be seen in the service. Works must better than the service charge, I usually just cancel it.

Tipping is a very personal decision, its nobody's business but yours.  Just understand if you cancel the service and cash tip the same amount to only the crew/staff you interactive with, you're paying them extra and not paying the behind the scene people including the chefs.  Removing the service charge reduces the wage to people who get paid the least on the ship.

image.png.9b945d5ad43eb2cc4fba4e1ff12468c3.png

1 hour ago, Donniss said:

What if we abolished the need to tip and instead NCL actually paid their employees the minimum wage in a first world country that they deserve?

Seriously though, if you have the option of tipping cash to a specific employee or paying the ship in general, please do the former. While germs are certainly a factor, I highly doubt anyone is going to be turning down extra dosh at the very low wages these cruise companies pay.

EDIT: To answer original question, dollars! Crew have their own bar, and a store on the ship they can buy stuff from, and I'm fairly sure they all use US currency?

In order to do that, simply only book Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas sailings 😄