THANKSGIVING.............

Lois R

Hi friends,🙂 I have been going through a lot these past 2 months (as we all have) but my health issues have 

put any thoughts of cruising on the back burner. As time continues to move I was recently thinking about the

fall......do any of you think the possibility of November cruising will be available?  I am seriously considering

(if it is possible) to take a cruise over the Thanksgiving holiday............

Any thoughts on this? 

34 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Any thoughts on this? 

Depends on your embarkation / disembarkation points.  As a U.S. citizen, if both points are U.S. ports, I’d say, yes, you will find there are some voyages sailing for you.  But, the ability to leave the ship in ports other then U.S. cities, or privately owned cruise line islands, will be unlikely.

I'm seriously concerned for ours on 30 Oct. & not sure I even want to go...still contemplating. Are you sure you really want to go since you've been treated for health conditions?

Edited by nowornever
not phrased well

10 hours ago, nowornever said:

I'm seriously concerned for ours on 30 Oct. & not sure I even want to go...still contemplating. Are you sure you really want to go since you've been treated for health conditions?

Well, I am eventually going to cruise again yes..........just wondering what folks thought about that time of the year.

Did you mean am I ever going to cruise again? Or more to the time of this year?........I want to cruise again for sure🙂

Many folks travel with different health conditions.

Thanksgiving is a nice time to travel, but you risk having lots of children on board due to the US holiday week.  We have always enjoyed cruising the first several weeks of December which are less crowded and sometimes cheaper in the Caribbean.

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, I am eventually going to cruise again yes..........just wondering what folks thought about that time of the year.

Did you mean am I ever going to cruise again? Or more to the time of this year?........I want to cruise again for sure🙂

Many folks travel with different health conditions.

Good on you Lois. As you know now more than ever...tomorrow is not guaranteed.

I, like you, plan on continuing to enjoy what time I have left and not living in fear. 

I don't have an answer for you but I am waiting to see what ports start opening up before I book my next cruise. I am hoping to use my refund to go again in 2021.

2 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Thanksgiving is a nice time to travel, but you risk having lots of children on board due to the US holiday week.  We have always enjoyed cruising the first several weeks of December which are less crowded and sometimes cheaper in the Caribbean.

Have you sailed with SS over the holiday? I would think because of the demographic there would not be so many

families (but maybe I am wrong).

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I would think because of the demographic there would not be so many families (but maybe I am wrong).

Actually, just the opposite, Lois.  The holidays are one of the busiest times for extended families to cruise along with their children.  

The one voyage we did over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday had more children than most of our summer cruises.  And, the new year voyage we did once had probably two to three times more children than Thanksgiving.  Of course it never bothered us because we’ve always traveled with our child.  Regardless of what some here have discouraged for years, SS has always fit our family’s lifestyle perfectly.

Oh, I like families🙂.....I have a very small one but love them........I have 2 sisters but both live outside of the states so don't see them very often.  I know the Mass Market lines are usually slammed full over the holidays. I just wasn't sure about SS.

56 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I know the Mass Market lines are usually slammed full over the holidays. I just wasn't sure about SS.

Lois, I should clarify my point.  SS won’t be “slammed full" of children during the holidays, but rather, they will just have more children on board at that time of year relative to voyages during non school holiday time periods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

Lois, I should clarify my point.  SS won’t be “slammed full" of children during the holidays, but rather, they will just have more children on board at that time of year relative to voyages during non school holiday time periods.

Thanks for the clarification🙂

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, fdnycruiser said:

I sure hope so. I was optimistic and booked the Silver Moon TA on 11/8 from Barcelona to Miami. Spain is preparing to open up this summer. Of course for cruise ships it could be another matter.

Hi,  sailing out of Europe? That would be more concerning to me than out of a Florida port...........hope all goes smoothly for you though🙂..........actually, I was booked on your cruise a long time ago but 

changed plans (before the Covid hit).

43 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Are you still going on the voyage you changed to; Spirit in September?

No, when I was in the hospital I decided I would cancel it...........and I wasn't sure about flying to Europe.

I have nothing booked right now☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know that you'll have a lot of families on a Thanksgiving Caribbean cruise on Silversea since the only sailing this year is a nine day Bridgetown to Bridgetown on the Whisper (we considered that one) on Nov 20.  I'm not sure you'll have many families will be on a sailing of that length when you also add in the travel to and from Bridgetown.  Since most Thanksgiving school breaks are just the week of Thanksgiving, they would need to miss at least two days the week prior and probably the Monday following.

I think you might find more families if the sailing was debarking and/or embarking in Ft. Lauderdale (like the Nov 10 and Nov 29 sailings).  Even my friends who are regulars on Silversea usually book Disney or RCCL when they take their children and/or grandchildren with them on a holiday sailing.  They've never taken kids on Silversea.

And with the early booking bonus and the double bonus offer, it is a great value.  My wife and I will enjoy our first Silversea cruise on Nov 29 on the Whisper and we are optimistic that Silversea will be sailing by then and that they will do an excellent job maintaining a safe, clean and healthy environment on board during our cruise!

• Like 1

I'd read that as of June 6, CDC has not even started talking to the cruise lines yet about the health requirements that they will insist on before cruising starts again out of US ports. This will not be simple. I'd guess the changes will be extensive and updating cruise ships to meet those requirements, getting the ships to the right locations and bringing crews back from their home countries is going to be a logistical nightmare. It's taken months just to get the crews home in the first place. I really  HOPE cruises are back by Sept because we have a booking then but realistically?  

Well, the one thing that  might be easier for SS is the size of their ships.....500 as opposed to those mega ships

of 5000!  

Hi Lois,

I sailed for Thanksgiving on the Wind in the Caribbean last year, and am booked to do it again this year on the Whisper (fingers crossed that all goes well).

There were no children at all on my Wind voyage, and very few US citizens. The vast majority of passengers were from the UK, and were a bit confused about what American Thanksgiving signifies. 

The crew tried to make the day special for the U.S. passengers, and the kitchen prepared a special Thanksgiving dinner that was so popular it caught the kitchen off-guard. I was at a hosted table that night, and with the long wait it was as awkward and uncomfortable as any family holiday dinner I've ever endured back home. If the Whisper does sail for Thanksgiving this year, I will set myself up in La Dame instead.

Bottom line: I enjoyed a Silversea Thanksgiving in the Caribbean so much last year that I am ready to do it again this year.

2 hours ago, Unibok said:

Hi Lois,

I sailed for Thanksgiving on the Wind in the Caribbean last year, and am booked to do it again this year on the Whisper (fingers crossed that all goes well).

There were no children at all on my Wind voyage, and very few US citizens. The vast majority of passengers were from the UK, and were a bit confused about what American Thanksgiving signifies. 

The crew tried to make the day special for the U.S. passengers, and the kitchen prepared a special Thanksgiving dinner that was so popular it caught the kitchen off-guard. I was at a hosted table that night, and with the long wait it was as awkward and uncomfortable as any family holiday dinner I've ever endured back home. If the Whisper does sail for Thanksgiving this year, I will set myself up in La Dame instead.

Bottom line: I enjoyed a Silversea Thanksgiving in the Caribbean so much last year that I am ready to do it again this year.

Thanks for the informative reply🙂

On 6/5/2020 at 2:44 PM, Lois R said:

Oh, I like families🙂.....I have a very small one but love them........I have 2 sisters but both live outside of the states so don't see them very often.  I know the Mass Market lines are usually slammed full over the holidays. I just wasn't sure about SS.

I like families too, (I had better because I come from a very large family),  but Mrs Banjo and I have never cruise with them because sadly not many can afford the fare.  Having said that, the number of times we have seen children on a SS cruise, anywhere or any time, Has been pretty rare.  So, I would not hesitate to cruise in November if you feel your Heath permits and if the cruise lines are sailing.  

hope your condition improves.  All the best to you!

1 hour ago, crusinbanjo said:

I like families too, (I had better because I come from a very large family),  but Mrs Banjo and I have never cruise with them because sadly not many can afford the fare.  Having said that, the number of times we have seen children on a SS cruise, anywhere or any time, Has been pretty rare.  So, I would not hesitate to cruise in November if you feel your Heath permits and if the cruise lines are sailing.  

hope your condition improves.  All the best to you!

Good morning, thank you so much. I appreciate it.🙂

Lois

DH and I have been on the Silver Wind at Thanksgiving.

However it was a crossing from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale, 17 days.

I only remember one child aboard who was very well mannered.

I attribute the dearth of youngsters to the fact that it was a crossing.

3 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois

DH and I have been on the Silver Wind at Thanksgiving.

However it was a crossing from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale, 17 days.

I only remember one child aboard who was very well mannered.

I attribute the dearth of youngsters to the fact that it was a crossing.

Hi Spins, that makes sense for sure..........