Shares

Bin man

USA's unemployment figures not as bad as feared.  Stock markets rallied to the news.  I bought 200 shares in Carnival @ £6.76 a share.  I have sold 100 @ £16.50 a share. After commission I make a total profit of £72.  I now have 100 free shares and all the benefits they should bring.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Big jump in share price this morning .Somethings afoot ?

I was thinking of starting a similar thread, but you beat me to it.  Seems strange and I do not see an obvious reason for it.  DH pointed out all shares had gone up, but that is by about 10% and Carnival seems to have jumped about 50%, (including a rise at the end of last week) from what it has been bobbing about at, from what I can see.

Edited by tring

2 minutes ago, bodgerday said:

USA's unemployment figures not as bad as feared.  Stock markets rallied to the news. 

Thanks for the comments (which were made whilst my comment was being written).That still seems a big jump given that cruise companies have no realistic chance of re commencing in the near future - but I do think the mood music is quite different over there, rather than the more cautious view over here.  Whether they are too optimistic or us too pessimistic, remains to be seen, but given the age profile for most Carnival Corporation brands, some caution seems in order IMO.

A crystal ball would be very useful, though you have done well.

1 hour ago, bodgerday said:

USA's unemployment figures not as bad as feared.  Stock markets rallied to the news.  I bought 200 shares in Carnival @ £6.76 a share.  I have sold 100 @ £16.50 a share. After commission I make a total profit of £72.  I now have 100 free shares and all the benefits they should bring.

Maybe you should apply for Woodfords old job.😉

It's fairly typical market movement.

All these kind of stocks have been bouncing up and down in relatively big swings for weeks.  The City Boy traders are making pots of cash from the more naïve mug punters.    They buy low when they know it's the right time, then pump the stock with lots of Twitter "ramping" and chat board ramping with tales of cruising coming back on line and telling people now is the point to buy in and of course they sell their shares on the rise generated and then start shorting the share which pushes the share price back down.  They have been "rinse repeating" this for weeks now making pots of money.  They same goes for all the shares in the travel sector.  Take a look at TUI or SAGA, same thing.   Plus anything in the entertainment industry like cinemas and of course all the pharmaceuticals where tales of impending vaccines keep the punters coming in.

However we are now I think approaching the point where the volatility will settle down because lockdown measures are being eased and thus services like Cinemas will open again.  So this is probably the last chance to buy shares at low prices in stocks that were utterly battered by the virus lockdown measures.   Some of them will likely only go upward now rather than constantly up and down in huge swings.   The speculation element that drove the volatility is disappearing as lockdowns disappear.

Cruise line shares should make people good money provided the cruise lines can agree some new protocol with CDC and the like concerning how to deal with on-board cases of COVID-19.   Still a waiting game on that score.

2 hours ago, Bin man said:

Looks like we are now on the slide again today .£13  at present 

I have read some articles and does not sound like they are thought of as a good buy at present, though I am no expert.  Interesting a southern based journalist mentioned the cruise industry and effect on Southampton in the daily briefing.  Boris said the cruise industry will have to re invent itself in the short term.  The Government are not going to support the cruise industry and likewise in the US.

Edited by tring

You can’t deduce anything logical from the swings in share price at present. The markets are all over the place. If you could apply logic you could say that as Carnival took such a hammering, some might see it as a bargain, which will cause some minor rebound, but then days later it could go the other way. My days of buying shares in a single company are over. If they go bust you lose every penny. Sadly, I speak from personal experience!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

You can’t deduce anything logical from the swings in share price at present. The markets are all over the place. If you could apply logic you could say that as Carnival took such a hammering, some might see it as a bargain, which will cause some minor rebound, but then days later it could go the other way. My days of buying shares in a single company are over. If they go bust you lose every penny. Sadly, I speak from personal experience!

As if to prove my point, Carnival shares down over 10% this morning!

21 hours ago, tring said:

The Government are not going to support the cruise industry and likewise in the US.

The UK Government has made support available to the cruise industry through the various schemes available, even if there is not a sector specific bail-out. 

2 hours ago, molecrochip said:

The UK Government has made support available to the cruise industry through the various schemes available, even if there is not a sector specific bail-out. 

Sorry forgot about the land based staff, who are the ones presumably getting the support you mention (chance to be furlouged etc.)  Am I right about that now?

shares down again by the end of the day (1190 from what I have just seen). 

Edited by tring

The markets are being swung up and down constantly at present by those who have the financial power to influence share prices.  Share prices are forced down, they buy shares, the share prices goes up, they sell, and the cycle repeats.  The City Boys are making absolutely pots of money in this market.   The rest of us mere mortals can pick up the crumbs which are actually far more substantial in this market.    But the shares after they have been pushed down and just wait for them to go up again.  It's probably the easiest market to make cash in for 50 years imo.

4 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

The markets are being swung up and down constantly at present by those who have the financial power to influence share prices.  Share prices are forced down, they buy shares, the share prices goes up, they sell, and the cycle repeats.  The City Boys are making absolutely pots of money in this market.   The rest of us mere mortals can pick up the crumbs which are actually far more substantial in this market.    But the shares after they have been pushed down and just wait for them to go up again.  It's probably the easiest market to make cash in for 50 years imo.

Would not touch them with a 2m bargepole! or in fact any other shares at this time.

Cash is king!