B2B but different ships

kskelley40

We are thinking of combining another cruise with our short 4-day cruise leaving out of Port Canaveral.  But the second cruise would be on a different ship, different cruise line...but both out of Port Canaveral.

I am sure it has been done before so any suggestions, comments or tips to make this a smooth transition?   Haven't cruised out of Port Canaveral in a couple of years so I can't remember how it is set up, how far apart the cruise line terminals are etc....  I assume we could catch a taxi to take us to the second ship.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

We did a side-to-side...

However, ours were 2 different ports - Fort Lauderdale & Miami

We rented a car for the day - enjoyed a little South Beach Time, leisurely lunch, a little shopping, dropped off the car & headed on to the ship.

You could plan a day exploring & return to the same port 🌞

I just booked two separate back to back cruises out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale for Jan./Feb. 2021 on two different lines. One docks on Saturday, the other leaves on Sunday so I gave myself a one day buffer. I am a little concerned because of Covid 19. What happens if first cruise is quarantined, or has another issue. I purchased cancel for any reason insurance that allows cancellation up to the morning of the second booking. Hopefully I won't need this.

Been a long time since I sailed out of Port Canaveral, but I don't remember the port being very large. A rental car for several hours makes sense to me. You would have a place to put your luggage and still be able to see the area. This could also be helpful if lines institute a specific check-in time. Years ago we rented a car in Orlando and dropped off in Cocoa Beach and they then transferred us to the ship.

Have no idea what Port Canaveral is like, but  several years ago , in Miami we got off Ship and walked to the other Ship, different cruise line.  Obviously getting off one and on another the same day, it was FUN.  We just pulled our luggage along.  Also did the same in Miami getting off NCL Sun and getting on NCL SKY, same day.  Packing up and moving on was a little pain, but enjoyed both times moving from ship to Ship!

I would venture to say that as long as one foreign port was visited on each of the cruises should not

have any problem.

It is complying with the PVSA (not Jones) that is the satisfying element here.

Simply put you can not sail from one US port to another including the origin without a foreign port call.

Port Canaveral is one of the easiest ports to leave out of. You should have no problem doing a side to side from there. Wake up and relax the morning of disembarkation and enjoy breakfast and the ship before getting off and moving to the next terminal. An Uber will probably be between $10-$20 to go just a couple minutes.  

7 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

It is complying with the PVSA (not Jones) that is the satisfying element here.

People like throwing this around when it wouldn't apply, don't they?

PVSA would only apply on a B2B (such as a recent example of someone sailing on the final Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver then taking the same ship from Vancouver to Hawaii) if the cruises are on the same ship and the B2B cruisers embark the first cruise in one US port and debark the second cruise in another US port.

In the case of the OP - they're changing ships, 2 distinct cruises (even 2 different cruise LINES).  PVSA would not apply.  I believe people actually prefer the term S2S rather than B2B because the passenger is changing ships.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, hallux said:

People like throwing this around when it wouldn't apply, don't they?

PVSA would only apply on a B2B (such as a recent example of someone sailing on the final Alaska cruise that ends in Vancouver then taking the same ship from Vancouver to Hawaii) if the cruises are on the same ship and the B2B cruisers embark the first cruise in one US port and debark the second cruise in another US port.

In the case of the OP - they're changing ships, 2 distinct cruises (even 2 different cruise LINES).  PVSA would not apply.  I believe people actually prefer the term S2S rather than B2B because the passenger is changing ships.

I literally had this exact response as I was reading the thread but you said it much better. 

We did a S2S in Rome.  Arrived in the morning on a Celebrity ship and embarked on NCL Spirit later the same day.  We just took our time having a leisurely breakfast on the first ship, got off as late as possible, and then took a port shuttle bus over to the second ship and boarded around 11. 

We just booked the NCL Star from Copenhagen to Southampton arriving Oct. 3, 2021 and we leave that day on the NCL Jade from Southampton to Rome.  We have done about 5 b2b cruises but this is the first time we change ships.  We will see how it goes.