August and September Cruises Waitlisted

On the rssc website, if you go to "Find a Cruise" and put in August, September, and October dates with no other filters, you'll get a listing that has "waitlist" in the fares space for ALL August and September cruises as well as for the cruises in October that involve Canada (i.e., Alaska and Maritimes/New England cruises). This is consistent with what Frank Del Rio has been saying about not sailing until October.  At least now they aren't actively selling these cruises anymore.

I have a booking on one of these September cruises that has already passed the 15% penalty date, and for which final payment is due in a couple of weeks. So, the question is, will they officially cancel it before the final payment date so that I can get my deposit back, or force me to cancel it and thus convert the penalty to a FCC?  I'd rather have the cash.

5 hours ago, wishIweretravelling said:

On the rssc website, if you go to "Find a Cruise" and put in August, September, and October dates with no other filters, you'll get a listing that has "waitlist" in the fares space for ALL August and September cruises as well as for the cruises in October that involve Canada (i.e., Alaska and Maritimes/New England cruises). This is consistent with what Frank Del Rio has been saying about not sailing until October.  At least now they aren't actively selling these cruises anymore.

I have a booking on one of these September cruises that has already passed the 15% penalty date, and for which final payment is due in a couple of weeks. So, the question is, will they officially cancel it before the final payment date so that I can get my deposit back, or force me to cancel it and thus convert the penalty to a FCC?  I'd rather have the cash.

Or you could make the final payment and get 100% money back after Regent cancels. As long as you can wait 90 days for your refund. 

As has been said, some itineraries will be canceled and will be replaced by different itineraries.  Some itineraries will remain almost the same but the ports may be different.  IMO, we need to be patient and see how all of this plays out.  

Unless it was said in a different interview, Frank Del Rio did not state that Regent will not sail until October.  In fact, he said that it would be "irresponsible" to give a date.  However, when pushed, he guessed that it would be late fall.

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2020 at 8:42 AM, wishIweretravelling said:

If I think the worst of Regent, they will wait until after final payment to cancel.  If so, a cruel trick.  Let's hope that's not the case, in particular if this cruise goes to Canada, there's no excuse for doing that.

But since 15% is a substantial penalty, I would pay the final payment if necessary, and then wait for them to cancel.  Then wait the 90 days to get my money back.  

Just now, NCCruzQueen said:

On to 2021!!!

2021 we are taking the cruise you took a couple of years ago; New York to New York Grand Arctic Adventure; I sure enjoyed your blog.

Marc

9 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

2021 we are taking the cruise you took a couple of years ago; New York to New York Grand Arctic Adventure; I sure enjoyed your blog.

Marc

It was a great cruise.  Glad you enjoyed wishIweretravelling's blog. 

Edited by NCCruzQueen

Suspension Includes All Voyages for Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH ), Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises with Embarkation Dates from August 1 through September 30, 2020

Voyage Cancellations Exclude September Seattle-based Alaska Itineraries

Select Voyages Cancelled Through October 2020 Including Canada and New England Itineraries

MIAMI, June 16, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. ( NCLH) (“Norwegian” or “the Company”) , a leading global cruise company which operates the Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH ), Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises brands, today announced an extension of its previously announced suspension of global cruise voyages to include all voyages embarking between August 1 and September 30, 2020 for its three cruise brands. The voyage cancellations exclude September Seattle-based Alaska voyages. The Company is also cancelling select voyages through October 2020, including Canada and New England sailings, due to travel and port restrictions. The Company will continue to work in tandem with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the federal government and global public health authorities to take all necessary precautions to ensure the health, safety and security of guests, crew and the communities visited. 

Guests who are currently booked on cancelled voyages on Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH ), Oceania Cruises or Regent Seven Seas Cruises are asked to contact their travel advisor or the cruise line for more information.

Impacted sailings in October 2020:

Cruise Line Ship Region Departure Dates
Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH 
)
Norwegian Bliss Pacific Coastal 10/12/20
)
Norwegian Joy Pacific Coastal 10/4/20
)
Norwegian Breakaway Canada/New England 10/4/20-10/11/20
Norwegian Cruise Line ( NCLH )
)
Norwegian Gem Canada/New England 10/2/20-10/9/20
Oceania Cruises Insignia Canada/New England 10/6/20-10/26/20
Regent Seven Seas Cruises Seven Seas Navigator Canada/New England 10/8/20-10/18/20
Edited by mrlevin
  • Thanks 1

Got the email officially canceling the cruise, in more than enough time before final payment.

I see that they've canceled all August and September cruises, as well as October ones involving Canada. So glad Regent decided to make the clean break, take the stock price hit now, and do them all at once rather than continuing to creep through month by month.  It's a good business decision and a show of good faith to its clientele.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, docmark said:

You are not too far from Los Angeles,  take a look at Mariner October 12  cruise , 10 days...   It MAY happen !!

Unfortunately that cruise coincides with TravelCat and my trip to Dallas for our once every three year Mano a Mano (or is it Mano a womano) get together.  I don't think I want to miss that even for a bridge cruise.

Marc

25 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

Unfortunately that cruise coincides with TravelCat and my trip to Dallas for our once every three year Mano a Mano (or is it Mano a womano) get together.  I don't think I want to miss that even for a bridge cruise.

Marc

Our next cruise is in November rather than in October.  

1 minute ago, jeb_bud said:

I wonder what cruises these are?

NCL is still selling cruises on Joy and Bliss in September that are rt Seattle and include a stop in Victoria.  They are also selling pre or post-cruise trips to Denali which doesn't make sense at all as you fly to Fairbanks then fly back to Seattle to get your cruise.

I have no idea why these trips were not cancelled.  I tried to check it out on NCL board but I couldn't get through all the political posts.

Marc

22 hours ago, mrlevin said:

NCL is still selling cruises on Joy and Bliss in September that are rt Seattle and include a stop in Victoria.  They are also selling pre or post-cruise trips to Denali which doesn't make sense at all as you fly to Fairbanks then fly back to Seattle to get your cruise.

I have no idea why these trips were not cancelled.  I tried to check it out on NCL board but I couldn't get through all the political posts.

Marc

I watched a travel agent update on youtube yesterday.  According to him, there is an ongoing conversation with ports in Alaska/Canadian Govt to try to get some cruises on for the month of September, and in some way getting around the Jones act.  According to this TA, the tourism industry for these Alaskan towns is a big part of their economy, and they are really feeling the absence of the ships in a big, big way.  If a few ships can get get on a schedule, and not overwhelm the fact these towns will not be fully staffed with summer help, these ports are all for the idea.

Take it FWIW.

• Thanks 1

If a search is done through various forums, there's been a lot of wishful chatter about waiving the  PVSA and Jones Acts over the last few months.  This was a good discussion IMO about why it's probably not going to happen.  Some look toward RCL because of Pride of America, but there are real issues there as well apparently.  Also, I recently read it's not as easy as some cruise line just taking the financial hits of being fined per passenger for violating the Act as a 'cost of business' - IIRC, it would basically end up with that cruising entity being banned totally from the US.

And that's assuming the governments of Alaska and Canada want to take the risk in view of COVID news even over the last few days.  

2 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

I watched a travel agent update on youtube yesterday.  According to him, there is an ongoing conversation with ports in Alaska/Canadian Govt to try to get some cruises on for the month of September, and in some way getting around the Jones act.  According to this TA, the tourism industry for these Alaskan towns is a big part of their economy, and they are really feeling the absence of the ships in a big, big way.  If a few ships can get get on a schedule, and not overwhelm the fact these towns will not be fully staffed with summer help, these ports are all for the idea.

Take it FWIW.

I read the same thing.  I also read that many places will not be open in Alaska as there was no point in bringing in staff when there were no cruise ships.  I feel badly for Alaska and all the port cities that have lost revenue and will lose even more this summer.  One would think that every person would follow protocols so that the spread of this virus will diminish.  Not sure what people are thinking.

We just cancelled our annual fishing trip to Canada. The Lodge phoned us regarding the border closing until July 26th. They are shutting down for most of the season. 
They will keep our deposit, apply to 2021 booking at same as 2020 rates plus a 10% added to our deposit. 
Everyone wants to hold you over to next year... we accepted the deal. 
sheila

Just now, greykitty said:

@Bellaggio Cruisers, I'm sorry you're losing that lovely Canadian trip - but glad you won't be too out of pocket no matter what happens, from how I read your description.  

No, we lost nothing....gained an additional 10% on our deposit and secured our accommodations at 2020 prices. 
thanks for asking. 
sheila

• Like 1