Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

29 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I'm nervous in Tilbury during daylight!!  Even the ambulances won't stop there!

Not been there for a while, but I bet the beaches aren't overun with Grockles.😁

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, molecrochip said:

I’m not aware of Arcadia going although she may be getting a longer lay-up. I’m thinking through til April with no world cruise. Possibly Aurora in the same position too.

Oh well, just have to wait for the inevitable email then ☹️.  Looks like we'll have to start firming up Plan B. 

Thanks for the heads up.

55 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We did an overnight on Marco Polo in Tilbury a few years back.  It was in the run up to Christmas.  I think the cost was £95pp for an inside.  As it was Tilbury, maybe the outside cabins were cheaper! 😲

Yes, the prices for twin cabins were very reasonable but I got the impression that they really didn't particularly want to sell to solos - from the prices in saw at the time...

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

On a serious note.We priced up a  Black Sea cruise with CMV and they were expensive,considering their ships are all 2nd hand rust buckets.They were doing a bogof but the first person price was over 6 grand.

That sounds a lot for CMV Brian - maybe that cruise was almost fully booked. Having sailed on Marco Polo - which is 56 years old - in 2018, I do feel however that they keep their ships well. She certainly didn't look or feel that old. Admittedly, she was rebuilt in '72 & '92 but I would happily sail on her again - but I do love older, real ships.

I have just caught up with about 8 pages in this thread! 

Re short or overnight cruises round the Uk I’d be interested. Having just had a week off work and struggling with some dodgy weather and having to pre book virtually everything it made the week not as enjoyable as it could have been. I’m now quite worried about my week in Devon in October and as I said to the hubby at least on a cruise if the weather is bad, there’s things to do and lovely restaurants to eat in! 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Oh well, just have to wait for the inevitable email then ☹️.  Looks like we'll have to start firming up Plan B. 

Thanks for the heads up.

I just hope that they give us plenty of notice. It's bad enough organising everything for a sector but those on the full worldie need as much notice as possible.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Only plan B. We are up to about plan F. That will probably have to change too.😁

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

That sounds a lot for CMV Brian - maybe that cruise was almost fully booked. Having sailed on Marco Polo - which is 56 years old - in 2018, I do feel however that they keep their ships well. She certainly didn't look or feel that old. Admittedly, she was rebuilt in '72 & '92 but I would happily sail on her again - but I do love older, real ships.

I still have a soft spot for Marco Polo.  Sailed on her when she was Alexander Pushkin, and her sister (or should I say brother?) Mikhail Lermontov.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

I still have a soft spot for Marco Polo.  Sailed on her when she was Alexander Pushkin, and her sister (or should I say brother?) Mikhail Lermontov.

She is a lovely little ship - as long as you don't need/want balconies, multiple dining options, expansive spas and a huge atrium 😄

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

That sounds a lot for CMV Brian - 

If it was a round trip from the UK it would have been a very long cruise (?5-6 weeks) and I do not think CMV do fly cruises like that - but could be wrong.  Also CMV never sell cruises at their full price - always about half of that with various offers.  Not just like other lines which put offers on from time to time.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Jack McGowan said:

A lot of speculation regarding a possible Arcadia sale floating around in some groups I’m in. Anybody heard anything about this?

I hope not.  I'm due to do her Amazon cruise in 2022.  Assuming the Brazilians haven't cleared the jungle by then and Bolsonaro hasn't killed off most of his population!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tring said:

If it was a round trip from the UK it would have been a very long cruise (?5-6 weeks) and I do not think CMV do fly cruises like that - but could be wrong.  Also CMV never sell cruises at their full price - always about half of that with various offers.  Not just like other lines which put offers on from time to time.

Actually, I had misread Black Sea as Baltic Sea. Yes, a Black Sea round-trip would be minimum of 3 weeks and very few lines go there now so would be popular and possibly in high demand.

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

Actually, I had misread Black Sea as Baltic Sea. Yes, a Black Sea round-trip would be minimum of 3 weeks and very few lines go there now so would be popular and possibly in high demand.

They have one leaving Oct 2021 which is 33 nights.  Only three ports there + Istanbul and not many others either.  Seems a waste of cash to me in any case - would prefer a fly cruise to that area.

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

She is a lovely little ship - as long as you don't need/want balconies, multiple dining options, expansive spas and a huge atrium 😄

I was on the Marco Polo once in a massive storm and the water was running up the stairs and the ship almost capsized.

Polly.

35 minutes ago, tring said:

They have one leaving Oct 2021 which is 33 nights.  Only three ports there + Istanbul and not many others either.  Seems a waste of cash to me in any case - would prefer a fly cruise to that area.

Each to their own I guess. I'd happily do it as it calls at a lot of places around the Med I haven't been to as well. I think 16 ports in 33 days is pretty good actually.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DS_Dean said:

I just can't see a scenario where Arcadia could go so soon after Oceana. On Facebook P&O seemed to say on a number of post comments that they had no plans to sell other ships in the fleet short term. 

I think P&O brand is safe from further fleet changes at least through this brochure season. If covid is still around come 21/22 season and there is not let up from pause of cruise operations, then at that time Aurora and Arcadia might have trouble.

In other Oceana news , I saw this Greek article pop up on Twitter. I can't quite make sense of it myself. It seems like the Greek buyer might opt to keep the ship in lay up for resale when market recovers. There is also mention of Seajets. Curiously no mention of Chinese interests. 

But then the article also talks about some kind of P&O partnership to manage the ship. Maybe this has some bearing on why the ship still has P&O branding, I'm not sure. Very confusing!

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=el&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=https://www.newmoney.gr/roh/palmos-oikonomias/business-stories/omilos-iliopoulou-schedio-simpraxis-me-tin-po-cruises-upd/&usg=ALkJrhiMu3-XNgNZqa-lp8Y-iTcpyU7ywgALkJrhiMu3-XNgNZqa-lp8Y-iTcpyU7ywgl

Have read this and what on earth does it mean? I remember that Louis Cruises used to trade with TUI so who knows. We have sailed with Louis Cruises and if they have Oceana we are heading that way !!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Polly1922 said:

I was on the Marco Polo once in a massive storm and the water was running up the stairs and the ship almost capsized.

Polly.

That must have been scary Polly. Maybe particularly treacherous seas? I went to Iceland on her and we had some fairly heavy seas and high winds but she rode them well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have read this and what on earth does it mean? I remember that Louis Cruises used to trade with TUI so who knows. We have sailed with Louis Cruises and if they have Oceana we are heading that way !!!!!!!

Celestyal, who are a subsidiary of Louis Line, have a fairly solid reputation in the mid- market cruise sector from what I have read/seen.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Celestyal, who are a subsidiary of Louis Line, have a fairly solid reputation in the mid- market cruise sector from what I have read/seen.

Are they the one that Jayne MacDonald sailed on as the itinerary was amazing and we had even looked at sailing on them? The ships we a 'no' for us. Am actually getting excited if one of the Greek companies we trust buy her and use her for Greek Cruises we would jump at the chance to book with them ...................... once it has all settled down.

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

Polly's posting 941 refers:

And a good friend of mine was sitting right next to the poor man who was killed on the Marco Polo in February 2014 when a window crashed onto him after a freak wave had hit it.

CMV were not directly blamed for it at the subsequent inquest although I understand there were claims by the victim's widow that the ship had been poorly maintained.

As above, though, they were not held responsible.

Perhaps not surprisingly my friend will not set foot on another cruise ship

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/man-85-killed-after-dodgy-cruise-ship-window-falls-and-hits-head-during-severe-storm-9964706.html

16 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Our first ever cruise experience was on Louis Cruises (as they were then called) on the Marisa. We had an outside cabin with lovely picture windows. The food was amazing and we did a mini cruise to Egypt. The milkshakes were to die for and we can remember them now. We remember sitting at the bar at the back having a cup of tea (ha ha) and the cup was rattling - we looked at the stars and promised that, one day, we would cruise. Looking back it makes us smile --- from that to the Celebrity Edge in a dead posh cabin but we still remember that tea cup and the  milkshakes !  On our first day we remember looking up and seeing a HUGE ship .... it was the Celebrity Millenium !!! Happy times.  Having said that, there were no stabilisers and we felt like we were floating about for weeks after that 2 night cruise !!!!!!!!!!

See the source image

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Are they the one that Jayne MacDonald sailed on as the itinerary was amazing and we had even looked at sailing on them? The ships we a 'no' for us. Am actually getting excited if one of the Greek companies we trust buy her and use her for Greek Cruises we would jump at the chance to book with them ...................... once it has all settled down.

Their ships and itineraries look quite good. I could do without Gary, but Jayne MacDonald would put me off a bit.🤔

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

Their ships and itineraries look quite good. I could do without Gary, but Jayne MacDonald would put me off a bit.🤔

I like them both (in their own way) and at the minute we would be happy with Zorba the Greek for 2 weeks and Oceana !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1