The Bistro- Off topic and fun posts!

Host Dan

I have no travel sunrises for August 2.  I vowed I would get something today no matter what and took my walk along a local lake.  The angle was totally wrong and no trace of the sun and in desperation I finally found this with the sun rising through the trees across the street from my house:

homedawn802.thumb.JPG.e93ae0d40834f0feeb63917512875a8f.JPG

Roy

• Like 5

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Northwest Passage Cruise.  On August 3 I awoke on Amtrak's Empire Builder somewhere in Montana on the way to Seattle and Seward to meet Crystal Serenity:

dawn0803.jpgRoy

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 9

On 8/3/2022 at 12:45 AM, Benny B. Goode said:

I was hoping someone here could bring Vin Scully back for one more day like they did for Tony Dow.

I got this in the 70s, a Danny Goodman special that also included a Sandy Koufax money clip!

20220718_162357.thumb.jpg.4c5b2437d0b2ce94df9d1cbe3fc5e30d.jpg

Wow that is a keeper.

In less than a year we have lost two great sportscasters.

Vince Scully.  I like what he said in an interview.  His goal was to quickly provide comments and then to shut-up so the fans could hear the crowd noise and take in the play.  

John Madden.  Someone who knew the rigors of being an NFL coach would end his life prematurely and went on to have an amazing career in broadcasting.  I believe the first who would draw out those plays on TV.  While we were in the Bay Area he and his family lived in the town next to ours and a nice memory was dining at a table next to where he and his wife were.  

I can still remember some of the memorable games each one broadcasted including being with family and friends such as those Thanksgiving Day football games.

Madden for many years would announce the games with another legend'; Pat Summerall.

Keith

Today's sunrise is another from my 2018 Grand Alaska/Panama journey.  On August 5 I disembarked MS Westerdam in Vancouver beginning a journey to San Francisco, Crystal Symphony, and New York.

dawn0805.jpg

Roy

• Like 4

One year ago today we boarded Crystal Endeavor.  

We had such an amazing time and I am so glad we booked this cruise shortly after new itineraries were announced because if we didn't we never would have had the opportunity to sail Endeavor while it was part of Crystal.  And in our situation this is not an "optimal" time for us to travel.

A wonderful combination of expedition and luxury cruising into one vessel.

My key wishes came true these past couple of months with the purchase of the Ocean Vessels and the ownership of the Crystal brand Manfredi, along with the return of key people and ultimately many members of the crew.  Endeavor was my next wish including keeping its spelling as is.  🤣

I guess you can't win all the time.  I am just so happy that Crystal returns. 

Bags are packed.  I am ready to go.

Keith

IMG_1827.thumb.jpeg.a238377498ce4fac0956a7695d6ddff3.jpegIMG_1873.thumb.jpeg.1ac5d38c333ac2ca6639f5ec3d7ef72f.jpegIMG_2047.thumb.jpeg.d692581648ce148af5f4542e4e61b21d.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Endeavor was my next wish including keeping its spelling as is.  🤣

I guess you can't win all the time.  I am just so happy that Crystal returns. 

Bags are packed.  I am ready to go

Well that ended badly didn’t it

I’m very pleased to see the new owners at Silversea fix the travesty that some ill advised Crystal management inflicted on her - Silver Endeavour she is now and the new owners recognise the significance and heritage associated with the correct name - and she’ll be sailing by Christmas 👍

Hope you didn’t pack anything in those bags you’ll need over the next 12 months - it seems like they won’t be sailing for another year - and depending on the itineraries they announce you may need to change your chosen wardrobe 😂😉

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

This is one of my favorite threads because it is light hearted with lots of laughs rather than such seriousness.  I hope we can keep it that way. 

Keith

Sitting in the lounge at Heathrow waiting to fly to Athens to board Seabourn Encore.

Endeavour does look great and I will book a trip when i get back

• Like 4

Today's sunrise is among my earliest from Cunard.  It was taken August 6, 2008 at the end of a trip that was primarily a Rovos Rail trip from Dar es Salam to Cape Town but the final leg was a return from Southampton on Queen Mary 2.

IMG_1163.JPG.f42c9fc76cbede0ec9c9c9338475c865.JPG

Roy

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Well that ended badly didn’t it

I’m very pleased to see the new owners at Silversea fix the travesty that some ill advised Crystal management inflicted on her - Silver Endeavour she is now and the new owners recognise the significance and heritage associated with the correct name - and she’ll be sailing by Christmas 👍

Hope you didn’t pack anything in those bags you’ll need over the next 12 months - it seems like they won’t be sailing for another year - and depending on the itineraries they announce you may need to change your chosen wardrobe 😂😉

I suspect Keith knows how long his bags will sit, packed. Heck, in one’s mind’s eye, it’s a fantasy land. Nothing gets wrinkled; everything has an in-house duplicate, so I never am missing an outfit I want to wear; and in August/Sept, there aren’t too many locations where I won’t need clothes for a warm climate. It’s not like they’ll be doing NZ and Oz in Sept.

• Like 3

Well today we would have enjoyed our first full day in San Francisco having arrived yesterday but recently we decided to put the trip on hold thanks mainly to the spread of COVID.

So we are home but we did have a cold front with highs only 95 (F) yesterday but with the humidity it felt worse.

The good news is we have many hiking trails in our community and the trees help as I am on long walks and runs to help with the heat.  And I have many "dear" friends to visit with along the way.  Maybe, they will join us for our next Crystal Cruise.  I could take one on as a "dear" friend or maybe one could be my "guide" dear.

Time will tell.

Keith

IMG_0869.thumb.jpeg.4489c3d271fbb2811d3eb43c2ec65d8f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Today's sunrise is from my 2018 Grand Alaska/Panama trip.  On August 7 I boarded Amtrak's Coast Starlight in Portland on the way from the Westerdam in Vancouver to the Crystal Symphony in San Francisco.

dawn0807.jpg

Roy

• Like 5

I am seeking recommendations to go from Toronto’s Pearson Airport to the Toronto Hilton: a reliable airport shuttle, private driver, or taxi company. I cannot manage my luggage on the train. Avoiding Uber, etc. While Crystal is paused, a close-to-home Great Lakes cruise became an option. Thank you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KenzSailing said:

I just spent a lot of my weekend watching C-SPAN.  To top that, today I had my dental check-up and a teeth cleaning.  I think I need a cruise.

Sounds like someone needs some more thrilling activities to carry them through to their next cruise. 

Here are some tips to make life interesting: 

You could take all the items in your cupboard and sort them by alphabetical order. 

You could go to a clothing store while your partner/spouse tries on clothes. 

You could call your internet provider and ask them to verify your contact information. 

You could study Schanuel's conjecture on the transcendence degree of exponentials of linearly independent irrationals

One thing you shouldn't do is find a time machine and transport yourself back to April 11, 1954, because according to experts (?), it was the most boring day of the 20th century.

Edited by skybluewaters
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

31 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Sounds like someone needs some more thrilling activities to carry them through to their next cruise. 

Here are some tips to make life interesting: 

You could take all the items in your cupboard and sort them by alphabetical order. 

You could go to a clothing store while your partner/spouse tries on clothes. 

You could call your internet provider and ask them to verify your contact information. 

You could study Schanuel's conjecture on the transcendence degree of exponentials of linearly independent irrationals

One thing you shouldn't do is find a time machine and transport yourself back to April 11, 1954, because according to experts (?), it was the most boring day of the 20th century.

Oh my, I appreciate the comprehensiveness of this list.  Thoughts:

Change "items in your cupboard" to "your spice jars" and I'm there.  Either alphabetical, or height order, your choice.

Clothing store waiting: we've all done that.  Have you ever noticed how ladies' clothing stores all have a comfy chair or two, somewhere, usually in front.  I call that the "forlorn guy chair" because that's who you'll find sitting there.

Finally, April 11, 1954 was roughly speaking the moment of my conception (TMI!) so Ann and Emil K would disagree.  But in the larger scheme of things, you might be right.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Ice Bear said:

I am seeking recommendations to go from Toronto’s Pearson Airport to the Toronto Hilton: a reliable airport shuttle, private driver, or taxi company. I cannot manage my luggage on the train. Avoiding Uber, etc. While Crystal is paused, a close-to-home Great Lakes cruise became an option. Thank you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic @Ice Bear.  To get other more targeted responses to your questions try asking on the CC Canada/New England/East Coast Ports of Call forum here:  (I see you have already asked on the river cruises American Queen Forums)

Canada/New England Cruises Q&A: Find Tips & Recommendations - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

East Coast Departures - Cruise Critic Community

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info

8 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Interesting - on a simple count back that was roughly the date I was conceived. I'd like to think it wasn't an entirely boring day for those concerned.... 👀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3