Will Florida cruises start back up in October?

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

Cincinnati here - you'll be happy to know our great city is masking up and taking it serious!

I've had 11 employee's do family tips to Florida this summer.  4 / 11 got it - the ones who got it were young and into the bar scene.  

Cincinnati here also.  I ran errands two days ago...grocery store, liquor store, Home Depot, car dealership.  I literally did not see a single person who was inside and was not wearing a mask.  Several people carrying their mask from car to store but putting the mask on before entering.  Even the restaurant that we went to a few night ago with outdoor seating...people wearing masks until seated. 

New cases are steadily rising (although % positive is staying flat at ~6% and there is plenty of hospital capacity) so the Governor implemented a statewide mask mandate and the recommended self-quarantine if traveling from a state with >15% positivity rate.  I like using positivity rate instead of case counts.  Here's what the current positivity rates look like:

Positivity Rate Over and Under by State

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

How many negative tests does you State require before they leave?  Did they quarantine for 14 days once they got here?

M8

I’m don’t think there are mandates for negative tests to leave the state nor would anyone follow that (draconian measures IMO)

Of course they didn’t quarantine upon arrival to Florida.  

Edited by TheMastodon
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yep. Still ride down by the beach. Lots of out of state plates. Many from NY. I sure hope they did the required 14 day quarantine when they got here. 😇

M8

Friends of mine drove to Tampa to visit family recently. FL State trooper stopped them to fill out the requisite forms - where they are staying, for how long, etc. As they were still many hours away from Tampa, my friend asked where will the forms be mailed to, thinking that it would go to a local law enforcement or health dept agency.  Trooper replied that most of the time, the forms are just shredded.

There you have it. After all, tourist can't be spending money if they are confined to a room for 2 weeks. 😇

Edited by HBE4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Friends of mine drove to Tampa to visit family recently. FL State trooper stopped them to fill out the requisite forms - where they are staying, for how long, etc. As they were still many hours away from Tampa, my friend asked where will the forms be mailed to, thinking that it would go to a local law enforcement or health dept agency.  Trooper replied that most of the time, the forms are just shredded.

There you have it. After all, tourist can't be spending money if they are confined to a room for 2 weeks. 😇

SL don’t blame Florida for high positive numbers. 

4 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

My point being: if Florida state officials don't take the 14 day quarantine seriously, why should those with NY plates?

Cases in NYC can be traced back to Europe.  Not that it matters. Once your house is on fire, you put the fire out first. Not pointing fingers at the person who lit the match. That comes second...or fifth.😉

Just for clarity, Florida did lockdown for more than two weeks. Only thing open we’re grocery stores, pharmacies, and essential businesses. Elective surgeries were stopped. Soon after Restaurants could open for drive through or take out. Numbers didn’t spike until after Memorial Day and a huge lunch at the Space Center. So, just as a fact check, the virus doesn’t go away after quarantine or lockdown. It’s here to stay. It’s important to protect the vulnerable.

We wear our mask. 

M8

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Lysol wipes and other wipes seem to be available at our Costco if you get there when they open.  They usually have 1 pallet available.  For us bathroom cleaner seems impossible to find.  Any spray product that says it kills 99% of viruses jumps off the shelves.

Right before the pandemic was declared, a couple of people went to all the costco's in our area and bought up all the pallets of lysol wipes for resale on Amazon and Craigslist.  They were selling each 6 pack for 80 bucks.  Pretty despicable.  Now Costco has a limit but everytime a pallet is put out, everyone buys one whether they need it or not.  Unless I'm there when they put a pallet out, I am SOL.  The local news went to one of the guy's house to interview him and he was unapologetic about it saying because of Covid he needs to feed his family.  The interview was conducted in front of his million dollar home next to his BMW

4 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Yep. Still ride down by the beach. Lots of out of state plates. Many from NY. I sure hope they did the required 14 day quarantine when they got here. 😇

M8

Are the beaches in Florida at 1/2 capacity? They are here and I have never enjoyed the beach more. Everyone is social distancing which makes for a great beach experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Are the beaches in Florida at 1/2 capacity? They are here and I have never enjoyed the beach more. Everyone is social distancing which makes for a great beach experience.

That because they came here. Lol. Big crowds on weekends. Moderate/normal during the week. Most of those are either retired or from out of town. 

M8

6 hours ago, TheMastodon said:

We require two negative tests to return to work 😇 

The university system here will be requiring everyone on campus to be tested twice a week. Building a private lab for 24 hour results, using pool testing. On top of PPE, distancing, sanitation (students will have to clean their area at the start of each class), daily temperature checks and wellness declarations. Because of HIPAA, self-quarantine for a positive result will be on the honor system.

No matter what procedures they impose, it will only work if everyone follows the plan consistently day in and day out. It will be a big test.

3 hours ago, fisherguy said:

Now Costco has a limit but everytime a pallet is put out, everyone buys one whether they need it or not.  Unless I'm there when they put a pallet out, I am SOL.

This is very true.  As I walk into Costco I check the shopping carts of people already in the store and it's amazing to see every shopping cart with a 5-pack of Clorox wipes if they have them in stock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

That because they came here. Lol. Big crowds on weekends. Moderate/normal during the week. Most of those are either retired or from out of town. 

M8

So I guess they aren't limiting the capacity. Here they have limited the capacity to 50% and they have a cone placed in every other parking spot so you can't even park next to another car which is also nice. Last week Robert Moses a state beach was full at 10:00am Jones Beach was still open but we ended up at our town beach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pratique said:

The university system here will be requiring everyone on campus to be tested twice a week. Building a private lab for 24 hour results, using pool testing. On top of PPE, distancing, sanitation (students will have to clean their area at the start of each class), daily temperature checks and wellness declarations. Because of HIPAA, self-quarantine for a positive result will be on the honor system.

No matter what procedures they impose, it will only work if everyone follows the plan consistently day in and day out. It will be a big test.

Eh alcohol is the real problem.  Bars are the social hubs for many university students.  College students drink, socialize and court one another - even while studying.  I don’t see that changing.  
If I was at risk I would be opting to stay home and roll with online studies because it will spread like wildfire in these universities.  

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

So I guess they aren't limiting the capacity. Here they have limited the capacity to 50% and they have a cone placed in every other parking spot so you can't even park next to another car which is also nice. Last week Robert Moses a state beach was full at 10:00am Jones Beach was still open but we ended up at our town beach. 

I believe it's up to the locality. In Daytona you have to park in front of a pole. In Brevard you are required to social distance, but can have a group of up to 10 people I think. Enforcement is lax. 

At one time there was no public parking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheMastodon said:

Eh alcohol is the real problem.  Bars are the social hubs for many university students.  College students drink, socialize and court one another - even while studying.  I don’t see that changing.  
If I was at risk I would be opting to stay home and roll with online studies because it will spread like wildfire in these universities.  

That's the issue here as well.  If I had school age children I would be enrolling them in a home school program. At least that is structured program. They are talking about all kinds of crazy things like 2 days in school 3 days at home. They are running out of time and there doesn't seem to be a universal plan. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

In our area, no limit on the beach as far as I know. Group sizes are supposed to be limited. 

M8

Edited by Milwaukee Eight